Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job hunting without degree....

Job hunting without degree....

Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting without degree....

Originally Posted by Boylerz
Anyway's I'm going to tell you guys a little bit more bout my work experience and maybe see if any of you have been or are in the same game. I worked in Hewlett Packard as an Equipment Technician for 5 years. It was at their Inkjet Manufacturing plant. Skills obtained were Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical and Systems by work on Hi-tech machinery. I now work for a vendor based Intel as a Field Service Engineer.It is in Semiconductor manufacturing. I have been here bout 1.5 years. Again doing a lot of the stuff as above along with Radio freq, Vacuum etc.

So I'm a little bit worried about the state of manufacturing in the US and my job prospects without a 4 year degree. Can anyone put my mind at ease?!!!! Or maybe I should change careers and be a male stripper or something!!!!!
errr...well for each year lacking of a degree, you have to have 3 years experience...so about 12 years without any uni....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Theoretically, you declare yourself as pledging your allegiance to the USA and dumping all others at your naturalisation ceremony though, don't you? So in effect, you have relinquished your citizenship anyway(according to the US authorities). I suppose they could make you say it again, and turn in your UK passport, but in the eyes of the UK you'll still be an expat citizen.
I was talking about when you go for security clearance, not just becoming a citizen, if you want to get any sort of high up clearance, you need to become a citizen and properly drop your other citizenships, problem still comes when you have ties to those countries like family and friends...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Whatever you do, don't do that online degree with University of Phoenix. I'm working with a couple of people who have their Accounting degrees from there and have to say they know jackshit about Accounting.
well it helps if your online course is from a proper uni to begin with, the missus is doing a masters through kings college, London, all the benefits of being on campus as a student, even down to those naff uni ID cards and union cards
but it's all online, tele conference, blogs etc, and access to King's digitised library, which is massive, well access to all there online stuff....I guess you get what you pay for, as this ain't cheap, ever so slightly cheaper than being there in person, but getting a degree from a place that is at least worth the paper it's written on, well it's got kudos in the field at least.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If you have 12 years experience, you would probably get given a degree as long as you make some monetary contribution.

I was told UK universities accept 4 years of employment in a field as 1 years worth of a degree.
I'm definately looking into it all at the minute. What I want to avoid though, are those dodgy places that you just pay a small fee and they give you a dgree, which is totally worthless. I want one that'll stand up under scrutiny from a proper accredited place, and is a proper recognised degree in my field.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definately looking into it all at the minute. What I want to avoid though, are those dodgy places that you just pay a small fee and they give you a dgree, which is totally worthless. I want one that'll stand up under scrutiny from a proper accredited place, and is a proper recognised degree in my field.
Do they do a water skiing degree.....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure a UK uni would make you do some assessments; it would be interesting to know what they require.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
Well I think bournemouth do a surfing degree...so why not
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:54 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm sure a UK uni would make you do some assessments; it would be interesting to know what they require.
I seriously doubt that *any* UK university would hand out a degree of any kind purely on accrediting past work experience. It is possible that some may give exemption from certain units, or in a fully modular degree count experience toward the total number of modules, but that's as far as I'd expect it to go. Anything else is 99.99% likely to be a complete con, and the place won't actually have any official standing at all.

What can happen (it did in my case actually) is for past experience to be accepted in lieu of a degree when applying for a higher degree. I got onto an advanced M.Sc (i.e. a master's that normally requires a 2:1 or a first in the same subject) without an undergraduate degree or any A levels, then later went on to get into both Oxford and Cambridge. It's not common, but it can be done. However, I still don't actually *have* an undergraduate degree. By the time my PhD is conferred, I will actually have spent a total of 4 and a half years in full time education since leaving school, i.e. 1 year on the masters, a year at Oxford (went horribly badly, fell out with PhD supervisor and I left at the end of my first year), then 2.5 years at Cambridge (went really well, thankfully!). It tends to make people blow a fuse when they hear about it sometimes, but it just proves that it can be done if you are crazy enough to attempt it.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Now that would actually be one worth doing Ray!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

No,, but I believe Poole Technical College does.
Or whatever they're called today.
Probably Poole Metropoletan "University" or some such...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by st326
I seriously doubt that *any* UK university would hand out a degree of any kind purely on accrediting past work experience. It is possible that some may give exemption from certain units, or in a fully modular degree count experience toward the total number of modules, but that's as far as I'd expect it to go. Anything else is 99.99% likely to be a complete con, and the place won't actually have any official standing at all.
actually, depends on the course, but they can, you still have to do all the end semester exams to qualify and get the degree, but the experience can be used to get you out of actually having to do the classes....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would actually be one worth doing Ray!
You ought to put up your pic of you water skiing ...
Elvira would be up for jumping your bones
straight away ..
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:22 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by st326
... a year at Oxford (went horribly badly, fell out with PhD supervisor and I left at the end of my first year), then 2.5 years at Cambridge (went really well, thankfully!) ...
When I was doing my chemistry PhD a fellow PhD student (different department, but we both lived in the same graduate student block) told me about the hard time she was having with her two PhD supervisors. The two supervisors hated each other, which made life rather awkward for her.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 19th 2006 at 11:25 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:37 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boylerz
Hi folks,

For any people who are working in the states without a degree..... Was it tougher to find a job? Ive always heard that a degree is nearly always a must?? Ive a 2 year diploma in Manufacturing Eng (doing an IT diploma through OU at present but wont have that till 2007) and nearly 7 years industry experience. Im 26 yrs old. Im hoping to get married to my American girlfriend maybe at the end of next year and move to USA. She of course has about 10 degrees!!!

Any help or ideas would be great!!

Boylerz.
Nope, don't have one. My interview was based around my experience and my grades were never a topic of discussion. Never had a problem.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:49 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Nope, don't have one. My interview was based around my experience and my grades were never a topic of discussion. Never had a problem.
*nods* I simply don't see not having a degree as a real barrier to getting a job or starting up one's own business. Getting your own clients, particularly clients that are very happy to have you work for them, is a very liberating experience. I honestly believe it is all down to focus, hard work, common sense ... and good plumbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.