Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Old May 11th 2005, 2:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Originally Posted by Chandler
Bob - did you get any joy with your request?
nope, got ignored *lol*

Anyway, did have a job interview on Monday..very weird...anyway, was told it was unorthadox of them because they normally do it over the phone to get feel of the person and technical background, if they liked, they would phone again, and if went well, would invite down for an interview, and if still going, would give a job test and I went straight for the face-to-face interview, and will be having the job test sent my way in a couple days Still won't get the job, but at least I made it past the third stage.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:11 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Mrs C here....

Just wanted to close this thread by thanking everyone for their help and to share a little good news now that I am now gainfully employed (approaching the end of my second week!).

Ultimately I was successful after applying to a job found on Monster and it's just what I wanted.

All the posts were of tremednous help, be it pratcial or for the lifting of flagging spirits. Thanks also to those who PM'ed me with kind words of support.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 4:16 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly agree that interviewing companies don't seem to send out "no thank you" letters. It is very frustrating not to hear from a company that you were not successful.

Coldcalling seems to be the norm. When I arrived here and decided to look for a job I phoned several law firms in the area, most of which asked to see my resume, and also sent it out to other large non legal companies. Companies like Boeing, Lockheed Martin and McDonnell Douglas will keep your resume on their files for twelve months, and I understand from talking with people that this is normal for a lot of companies.

I had three interviews before I was finally successful and each one asked what my immigration status was and asked to see either my green card or my passport.

There are some companies where I live that will not accept paper resumes. You have to go to their webpage and fill in a form. This, so I am told, is to keep the information short, sweet and to the point. On a funny note, my neighbor contacted a company who only accept online resumes and asked what would happen if he didn't have a computer. They told him he could go to their office and use one of theirs. lololol
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
There are some companies where I live that will not accept paper resumes. You have to go to their webpage and fill in a form.
Serious pet peeve. Please enter your GPA. Form cannot be processed because you did not complete the box marked 'GPA'. Form cannot be processed because you did not select your elementary school in the drop-down box on page 18.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:24 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Serious pet peeve. Please enter your GPA. Form cannot be processed because you did not complete the box marked 'GPA'. Form cannot be processed because you did not select your elementary school in the drop-down box on page 18.
Yes, yes, yes! Dumb ass system
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Page 18??? How many pages does this thing run to?

And I thought they didn't want to look at more than 2 pages of resume...
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Page 18??? How many pages does this thing run to?
I had one that was 20 pages....some massive corp that does government stuff and it was a generic application that had to cover everything from nursing contracts to protection contracts...only thing that was relevant for me were like the last 5 questions, all for a graphic artist to help out with one of there sim projects *l*
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

They have every elementary school in the US, or are you taking the piss? What'd they do, raid classmates.com?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chandler
Mrs C here....

Just wanted to close this thread by thanking everyone for their help and to share a little good news now that I am now gainfully employed (approaching the end of my second week!).

Ultimately I was successful after applying to a job found on Monster and it's just what I wanted.

All the posts were of tremednous help, be it pratcial or for the lifting of flagging spirits. Thanks also to those who PM'ed me with kind words of support.

Congratulations!!! Pleased everything is working out for you!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

lol I'm new to this site, who is Bob? and does he live in my computer?