Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job hunting in the US?

Job hunting in the US?

Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Hubbabagorg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job hunting in the US?

Hi there, I have tried looking around the forums and haven’t been able to find an answer to my question.

Basically, I am a recent graduate from University, I have a BSc in Biomedical Science and an MSc in Molecular Medicine. I have wanted to live and work in the USA for a very long time now, and with having no luck in the UK job market I was wondering about trying the US one.

I know that there is not much chance of getting employment (and the required sponsorship for a visa) without more experience but I have family friends in New Jersey who said that they would be happy for me to stay with them for a month or so (I am assuming that I can do this as a tourist, and won't need any specific visa).

If I were to go over and stay with them, it would be with the intent of trying to find employment – as applying to job adverts online are very subscribed, so there is not much chance of getting a job that way.

So, basically my question is, would this be a worth while activity? Would actually being in the country and presenting myself to the different companies be any better than applying online?

I know that even if a company did offer me employment, that the visa will not be granted overnight, and I will probably have to return to the UK before moving out permanently.

Another quick question, I noticed that as well as the H1B visa, there is also an EB2 visa, which is applicable to people who do hold an advanced degree (in my case a Masters). I have done some research and it looks like I need some experience to be applicable for this visa, but none of the sites I checked seemed all that clear – does anybody on here know anything about this visa?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting in the US?

It seems you are pretty aware of what you are able to do and not.

You can look for a job while visiting on the VWP, but cannot accept employment or sign a contract. It may be a worthwhile activity, but you need to aware of how much this will cost the employer (~$4k) and that this will likely impact how many companies are willing to entertain your application, particularly since you are applying from within the US without any authorization to work.

To add - you will certainly have to return to the UK, you cannot get a visa while in the US since a visa is an entry document.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You can look for a job while visiting on the VWP, but cannot accept employment or sign a contract.
Not true. You can look for a job and you can accept employment. You cannot, however, sign a contract.

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you can come over and look....the number of visas really isn't going to be the issue, because they haven't filled up on day one in a few years.

Your issue is the fact that it costs the employer a lot of money and that unless it's a job related to a uni, you wouldn't be able to start till next October. That's a big hurdle to over come, especially with no experience.

Worth a punt though if you've got free digs, good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be a big no, no to look for a job on a tourist visa. You may get in a lot of trouble with the US authorities if they find out. Looking for a job indicates intent to stay, which is fraudulent. (Could someone please confirm with any links?)

Given the summary of your situation the best thing for you to do is find a job in the UK or Europe with a company that has a US presence. Then after a couple of years you can do an inter-company transfer.

It's not like entry level jobs are any easier to come by in the US. There are thousands of newly degree'd candidates unable to get jobs.

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 26th 2012 at 8:34 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Its not looking good for science in America

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencein...-us-scien.html
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
It's not like entry level jobs are any easier to come by in the US. There are thousands of newly degree'd candidates unable to get jobs.
Aye, friend of the missus who just moved from Boston is having that issue of not even hearing about entry/low positions and she's had experience managing two labs, one of them in Havard.

Her OH did get a pretty decent gig though, which was why they moved, well that and his research place was coming to the end of the grant and was going to move to NYC in the new year and they didn't fancy that either.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be a big no, no to look for a job on a tourist visa.
It's perfectly legal... has been for at least 15 years and probably a lot longer than that.

You may get in a lot of trouble with the US authorities if they find out.
Let them find out... it's legal.

Looking for a job indicates intent to stay, which is fraudulent.
That's crap. Looking for a job indicates no such thing!

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes....but did something change in the past or has it always been allowed? I thought it may have been the case a while back...

When I first started travelling here I was always told.."don't mention you're looking for a job" to immigration. That was the early 90's, I don't know if it was based on any real legal advice or not. Which is why I asked for confirmation by the way.

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 27th 2012 at 1:10 am.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking at research positions? You usually need a PhD.

Good point about budget cuts - tough(er) times ahead.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have relevant experience, but it seems to me, unless you have interviews lined up, being in the US is no great advantage. More likely, it is easier to "network", but at the end of the day , in US you are probably still going to apply online, and still need a visa to qualify for a job. No harm in trying though.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for a job indicates an intent to immigrate at some future date, it does not indicate an intent to stay on this particular entry and so is not fraudulent.

Regards, JEff

Looking for a job indicates intent to stay, which is fraudulent.