Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job hunting in NYC

Job hunting in NYC

Old Aug 18th 2016, 9:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting in NYC

"legally allowed to work normally in the USA"

the students at UT Austin are advised by the business school/university placement advisors to put this -exactly this- on their CV if there might be any doubt about their status.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You need to wake up and enter reality. Discrimination happens in every walk of life, regardless of what the law says.

If I thought an employer would be completely fine investing in me with a temporary work permit, then I wouldn't feel the need to mention on job applications I've made that I am an LPR. In fact, many job applications ask how you are authorised to work in the US.

Those with the unrestricted right to permanently live and work in the country are always going to be preferable to those without. Firms when hiring are potentially looking to invest significant money and time training this hire, to have them leave because of an immigration issue down the line is a risk many won't take.

That's the reality, regardless of whether you like it or not.
Fact of life is it. Ok there are many facts of life and it is your kind of attitude that means they perpetuate. So is it ok to discriminate against race, gender, disability, sexual orientation and religion just because, hey it happens so get over it. In the eyes of the law discrimination is discrimination no matter what. That's the fact pal.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:41 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boltonreddave
Fact of life is it. Ok there are many facts of life and it is your kind of attitude that means they perpetuate.
As it happens, I employed someone on an EAD. They then couldn't do any international travel as they risked not being allowed back in, which was a real pain for us, and then they left after 9 months.

Other hiring managers wouldn't have considered someone on an EAD for those very reasons. Can't travel? Culture fit - negative. Binned.

That's a business reality I'm afraid.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Fact of life is it. Ok there are many facts of life and it is your kind of attitude that means they perpetuate. So is it ok to discriminate against race, gender, disability, sexual orientation and religion just because, hey it happens so get over it. In the eyes of the law discrimination is discrimination no matter what. That's the fact pal.
It happens.

You're not going to win anything by making anything of it unless they blatantly tell you that is why you weren't hired.

Most people aren't even told the company isn't hired, even after the interview, so there's no come back for a reason.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It happens.

You're not going to win anything by making anything of it unless they blatantly tell you that is why you weren't hired.

Most people aren't even told the company isn't hired, even after the interview, so there's no come back for a reason.
So long as the employer has a reasonably diverse range of employees - male, female, ages, some different ethnicities, etc, there is neglible chance than a claim of discrimination would stick.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 7:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So long as the employer has a reasonably diverse range of employees - male, female, ages, some different ethnicities, etc, there is neglible chance than a claim of discrimination would stick.
The games industry is the most pastiest white, young dude industry ever and a discrimination case has pretty much never stuck there either.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 12:14 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably avoid the words 'green card', 'visa', etc... just because they're too easy to flag in software. Some of the other phrases mentioned in previous replies may work better.

Also, don't neglect the cover letter. While most places put more stock in the CV / resume, there are some that do the reverse. In an extreme case like my employer, the resume doesn't even get a look if all the job requirements aren't addressed in the cover letter.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they're quite the same though. The visa issue has a logically acceptable reason in my opinion, whereas the other bases you mention are both morally objectionable as well as theoretically not affecting the ability to perform the job. The visa issue affects ability to perform the job in the sense of "duration" and need to spend effort in the future to maintain legality to continue to work. Hence I don't think preferring someone with a GC over someone with an EAD is discrimination at all - regardless of what the legal definition is or might be.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
As it happens, I employed someone on an EAD. They then couldn't do any international travel as they risked not being allowed back in, which was a real pain for us, and then they left after 9 months.

Other hiring managers wouldn't have considered someone on an EAD for those very reasons. Can't travel? Culture fit - negative. Binned.

That's a business reality I'm afraid.
Just curious why a person on an EAD wouldn't be able to travel. The only scenario I can think of is an overstayer who married a USC then applied for AOS. They would receive an EAD, but wouldn't be able to use AP without risking incurring a ban.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I don't think they're quite the same though. The visa issue has a logically acceptable reason in my opinion, whereas the other bases you mention are both morally objectionable as well as theoretically not affecting the ability to perform the job. The visa issue affects ability to perform the job in the sense of "duration" and need to spend effort in the future to maintain legality to continue to work. Hence I don't think preferring someone with a GC over someone with an EAD is discrimination at all - regardless of what the legal definition is or might be.
It isn't my opinion, it's the law
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, not that there is much to disagree with!
Originally Posted by jmood
I don't think they're quite the same though. The visa issue has a logically acceptable reason .....
Stealing food if you're starving might be "logically acceptable", but it's still illegal.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just curious why a person on an EAD wouldn't be able to travel.
One of the problems as a manager is, you're not able to ask this of the employee, at least I never felt comfortable pushing into deep detail. All I know is that he had consulted with an immigration lawyer and they had informed him to remain in the country. Hence, his position that he wouldn't leave the US.

However, knowing what I do about his circumstances, I believe he had claimed asylum and has continued to work / reside on an EAD for over a decade. Utterly bizarre.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:12 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Stealing food if you're starving might be "logically acceptable", but it's still illegal.
Not everywhere....

Italian court rules food theft 'not a crime' if hungry - BBC News
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

And I wrote in my last sentence "regardless of what the legal definition is or might be".
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

In this example I don't think it is about logic, I think it is about morality. Whether it is acceptable or not. And I am not sure what I personally think the answer is.

Anyway, I did write that the above was my opinion regardless of what the law says. I didn't miss the fact which was pointed out that discrimination based on immigration status is illegal. :-)

And let's not forget, laws are made based on standards of acceptability and morality for the societies they are meant to govern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.