Job Hunting

Old Feb 23rd 2022, 12:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting

Originally Posted by RichMitch
Yes that sounds very like the UK in terms of the different levels of insurance you can go for. I was quite annoyed at the beginning of the pandemic because my family maybe drove about 30miles a month for 6 months because I worked from home - but our car insurance company wouldn't lower the monthly premium very much regardless. I suppose it all depends on weighing up the odds when it comes to insurance level, if you've never had an accident you would like to think you could get away with very low cover

That is excellent you have got so much life out of your Volvo. I used to own a Volvo S40 here in the UK and it never gave me any trouble whatsoever. When I was younger I was a lot more "car proud" than I am now. These days I am an "A to B" guy - if it drives and doesn't look too bad then I'll drive it!

Where I am, the big question is will it start reliably on a winter morning when it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit outside.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:00 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I work with big tech companies relocating their employees from well, anywhere in the world, to Austin, Texas.
Best advice I've seen here is that you get a job with one of the big tech companies and let them know you'd be interested in a transfer to the US when it's possible ( after 1 year of working with them). From what I've seen, you don't have to be "niche" or top of your field. If you look at their websites you'll see a ton of open positions.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

RichMitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I work with big tech companies relocating their employees from well, anywhere in the world, to Austin, Texas.
Best advice I've seen here is that you get a job with one of the big tech companies and let them know you'd be interested in a transfer to the US when it's possible ( after 1 year of working with them). From what I've seen, you don't have to be "niche" or top of your field. If you look at their websites you'll see a ton of open positions.
Thank you, I will begin to look into this, it definitely is a great route to take to get a move across the Atlantic. And another benefit of it I guess is that you get time to work and get familiar with the company and its work standards before you move away so that should lessen the culture shock a bit when beginning to work in the States.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link to that real estate website, I had a brief look and homes definitely are more reasonably priced than over here.

Don't just look at the price of the house -- also take into consideration the annual property taxes (paid on cars, too) for the local jurisdiction. They could range from $2,000 to $15,000 for an identical, average kind of house, depending upon where it is located. But generally, the higher the property taxes, the better the school system.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:29 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - yes I have a university degree in Computer Science. I will certainly look into doing a masters thank you (I should really be doing this anyway because it would help me land better paid jobs going forward!).
I wonder if it is looked favourably upon if people are members of professional bodies as well eg, the British Computing Society?
I have found this to be so, even more so if it's an international body rather than say a British association.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't just look at the price of the house -- also take into consideration the annual property taxes (paid on cars, too) for the local jurisdiction. They could range from $2,000 to $15,000 for an identical, average kind of house, ....
Agreed, that was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back for us when we were looking at homes within commuting distance of Manhattan - we found the prices of homes in the areas around NYC to be already at the limit of what we could afford for an OK-ish home in a reasonable area, then realized that we were looking at another $700-$900 per month in property taxes!!! .... And that was 20 years ago - I can't imagine what the taxes are in those areas today - probably the $15k that you (Nutmegger) mentioned?

And then there's the cost of repairs and maintenance that American homes need on a relatively frequent basis, of the sort that British homes generally do not need. A heating system in the US is generally reported to typically last 15 years, and a roof about the same. Both can easily cost $10k or more to replace, and twice that even for a fairly ordinary home (not a McMansion) is not unusual, especially if you want a modern and efficient system, or good quality roof, not the bargain basement system or cheap roof shingles laid on top of the old roof, that many Americans seem to choose shortly before they put their home on the market featuring a "new roof" and "new heating system".

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 23rd 2022 at 1:59 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by excpomea
I have found this to be so, even more so if it's an international body rather than say a British association.
Cool - thank you. I must look into this. I must also check to see if my University Degree is accepted in America too or if I need to do anything with it.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't just look at the price of the house -- also take into consideration the annual property taxes (paid on cars, too) for the local jurisdiction. They could range from $2,000 to $15,000 for an identical, average kind of house, depending upon where it is located. But generally, the higher the property taxes, the better the school system.
Wow - I didn't realise about house taxes. They appear also to be more than what we would pay here in the UK (an average home where I live pays about £700 year for rates).
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I didn't realise about house taxes. They appear also to be more than what we would pay here in the UK (an average home where I live pays about £700 year for rates).

I don't think rates pay for schools in the UK - more for rubbish pick up, etc. Public (state) school in the US are funded by property taxes.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:55 pm

Cool - thank you. I must look into this. I must also check to see if my University Degree is accepted in America too or if I need to do anything with it.
If you have a Bachelor's, yes, it's accepted. If it's a technical certification, then I suppose that would depend but I'm not up on tech stuff.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, that was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back for us when we were looking at homes within commuting distance of Manhattan - we found the prices of homes in the areas around NYC to be already at the limit of what we could afford for an OK-ish home in a reasonable area, then realized that we were looking at another $700-$900 per month in property taxes!!! .... And that was 20 years ago - I can't imagine what the taxes are in those areas today - probably the $15k that you (Nutmegger) mentioned?

And then there's the cost of repairs and maintenance that American homes need on a relatively frequent basis, of the sort that British homes generally do not need. A heating system in the US is generally reported to typically last 15 years, and a roof about the same. Both can easily cost $10k or more to replace, and twice that even for a fairly ordinary home (not a McMansion) is not unusual, especially if you want a modern and efficient system, or good quality roof, not the bargain basement system or cheap roof shingles laid on top of the old roof, that many Americans seem to choose shortly before they put their home on the market featuring a "new roof" and "new heating system".
OK so safe to say we'll most likely avoid the outer Manhattan area if we get to the stage we are looking for a new home There is a lot to think about in regards to planning, I didn't take this into account about the differences in homes from the UK and the US. Our current home is maybe 70 years old or so and to my knowledge the roof has only ever needed minor repairs. The oil fired boiler was installed over 20years ago and just needs a yearly service (costs about £60/£70).
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
If you have a Bachelor's, yes, it's accepted. If it's a technical certification, then I suppose that would depend but I'm not up on tech stuff.
That is good news, I have a Bachelor's degree. After 4 years studying to get it and several thousand pounds spent in the process - I am so glad to hear it is accepted in America
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 3:14 pm

That is good news, I have a Bachelor's degree. After 4 years studying to get it and several thousand pounds spent in the process - I am so glad to hear it is accepted in America

Also, as a semi-related thing, if you are from Northern Ireland we have another member on here from there, too. Sultan of Swing. You will find him in The Lounge.

My experience was that UK university credentials are well respected, plus my "accent" has got me a lot of mileage, with sounding British being confused with 'being intelligent'.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
No, not especially. Used cars are typically more expensive than the UK. A new Honda Civic was $23k in 2019, now more likely around $28k with dealer markups. A used 2019 Civic is still around $20k+ mark.

Insurance wise, I pay $180 a month (132 GBP give or take) for 2 vehicles 'fully comp' A Honda Civic and a Ford F-150 Pickup Truck.

Those vehicles consume about $70 of gas a week (combined) getting around to our jobs and other daily activities. I spend an hour in the truck each day commuting, her about 25 minutes.
Its true, a GLE MB and E-Class Sean cost about 120 k total cash, much cheaper than the UK
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK so safe to say we'll most likely avoid the outer Manhattan area if we get to the stage we are looking for a new home .....
It's not just Manhattan, its a common pattern across the US at a local level too. I live outside the city limits and only pay county taxes. If my home was in the city my property tax bill would double. If I lived in a similar house in Charlotte, NC (nearest large city) my tax bill would probably be at least 50% higher again (three times what I currently pay), and given that tax is based on value, if I lived in a similar house in the poshest part of Charlotte it would be four times what I currently pay!

Another, unrelated observation re cost of living relates to the price of petrol - it might seem dirt cheap in the US, at least compared to the UK, but you drive so much more, and further, that the low price is entirely lost to the increase in the amount of petrol you buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.