Job Hunting

Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:33 am
Just Joined

GWright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Hunting

I am delighted to say that after almost 2 years of going back and forth with the USCIS, I now have my Green Card, SSN and EAD in hand!!!

I am now faced with a new challenge, finding a job!! It is easier catching 3 legged Haggis on a cold morning than it is finding a job.

I am based near Daytona in Florida but willing to travel or relocate for the right job. My ideal job would be an IT Tech, Network Admin or similar.

Has anyone any ideas? I have been going through Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com and EmployFlorida.com.

If any Expats can help I would be so grateful I wouldn't even mention the world cup lol

Thanks folks.

Greig.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting

Originally Posted by GWright
I now have my Green Card, SSN and EAD in hand!!!
If you have a GC, you don't need the EAD. Also, make sure you go to SSA and get a new SS card... without the "valid only with" stuff on it.

Has anyone any ideas? I have been going through Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com and EmployFlorida.com.
Try dice.com.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

GWright is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I agree I need to sort out not only my SSN but also my drivers licence. Just now it says temporary across it.

I will check out dice.com and see if I have any more luck there.

Thanks again.

Greig.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:33 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Try craigslist as well.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Start by not using a naff font personally....but also check out indeed.com as it groups up all the main sites.

guru.com and o-desk.com are good for contract work.

And best bet is probably linkedin.com and checking out your own network of contacts.

http://www.sapphire.com/ are pretty good for tech jobs too.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:56 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GWright

I am delighted to say that after almost 2 years of going back and forth with the USCIS, I now have my Green Card, SSN and EAD in hand!!!

I am now faced with a new challenge, finding a job!! It is easier catching 3 legged Haggis on a cold morning than it is finding a job.

I am based near Daytona in Florida but willing to travel or relocate for the right job. My ideal job would be an IT Tech, Network Admin or similar.

If any Expats can help I would be so grateful I wouldn't even mention the world cup lol

Thanks folks.

Greig.
Welcome to Florida, Greg Im in Orlando
this state is prob not the best for I.T jobs (my field too)
its a right to work state-which means they can fire you in a heartbeat with no consequences

and pay is lower here as its mostly tourism, hospitality, and retail

A whole lot of companies use agencies (who you work for) and place you in short term jobs paying around 11-15 bux an hour
and NO healthcare insurance

its better to find a real full time perm job with benefits but they are few and far between here

I work for Symantec here in Heathrow, if you have a CV and want me to hand it in Id be happy to.

Cheers !
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bob - network, network, network. Especially for IT as almost every company has an IT department (or needs one) so everyone you meet is a potential new colleague!

See if you can volunteer at a place that might get you in touch with local businesses in a way that demonstrates your IT skills (Help political candidates or charities with IT etc), scour the LinkedIn groups for places where you can show your expertise/knowledge by answering questions.

Make friends with all the folks you come in contact with. The job market is so tough right now, getting a recommendation into a role is your most likely way in.

Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:53 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

What about going to your local bar? I have seen so many people find jobs just by chatting with the folks next to them.I have also helped people find work as well. Not so long ago I had a customer that was looking for work in finance and I introduced him to another customer of mine that was pretty high up in an investment firm. He helped him get a job in his company. Talk to your local bartender . We hear about lots of jobs, apartments etc. Not traditional but it is a form of networking!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
.....Talk to your local bartender . We hear about lots of jobs, apartments etc. Not traditional but it is a form of networking!
And if you don't get a job, at least you get a beer - so there's no way you can lose!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
And if you don't get a job, at least you get a beer - so there's no way you can lose!
True!