Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job help needed

Job help needed

Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

ManchesterMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job help needed

Moving to the US soon with my other half who is a US citizen.

Have been applying for jobs from here but it has been pretty fruitless so far.

Wiith winter coming here after another horrnedous summer the pressure is on me to get a job sooner rather than later.

I combine working as a PR director with being a reporter for one of the country's largest regional newspapers.

Does anyone have any advice or contacts I can shamelessly pester?

Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job help needed

I don't, but best of luck with your move to the US! Have you decided yet where in the US you will be moving to?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ManchesterMike View Post

Wiith winter coming here after another horrnedous summer the pressure is on me to get a job sooner rather than later.

I combine working as a PR director with being a reporter for one of the country's largest regional newspapers.

Cheers
You'll have more luck finding a job once you're living here...it's very difficult when you're living overseas. Saying that I believe most jobs in North America are found through networking...joining a church, golf/country club can help.

How rude of me...welcome to BE.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
When companies see your UK address they automatically assume you are looking for sponsorship.

Even when you get here, I think lots of people look at your last work place and again assume you are looking for sponsorship.

You need to make it very clear, very early on that you have all the relevant paperwork that allows you to work in the US.

Good luck with the hunt and the move.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Be Mike Sounds like you are from my part of the UK There are lots of folks having problems finding work here right now, it's not easy anywhere.

JG and N1cky, gave you some good advice, networking is the way to go, but waiting till you get here could be the best thing. Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with any leads, but if you are looking for work where writing/editing is involved you might want to get up to speed on US punctuation styles -- they are slightly different from those in the UK -- so that you can hit the ground running. It can help with freelance work from both sides of the Atlantic if you are fluent in both styles and can do copy editing "conversions."
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:15 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Get a Skype In or Google Voice number in the area you plan on living. This will give you a voice mail/phone number to put on the resume and make it look like you are local. If at all possible find an address to use too, maybe a relative. Again for appearance sake.

If your resume has lots of international schools and work you may add a line at e bottom saying "authorized to work in the USA".

There are probably a dozen unemployed journalists for every crappy paying job out there right now. I would focus more on PR jobs if possible.

Indeed.com is an excellent site for job hunts btw.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:30 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

get on LInkedin and network