Reload this Page >

Job Help for an honest Bobby!!!

Job Help for an honest Bobby!!!

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

charliecc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Help for an honest Bobby!!!

Hi everyone.

My husband and I have recently relocated from Liverpool to NYC and while absolutely loving it (especially with the sunshine at the moment) we are having job issues.

I have taken on a bar job (still can't believe how amazing the tips are) while I set up my freelance vocal training practice... So I'm OK at the moment. However, Mike (the husband) is really struggling. At home he was a policeman for eight years and before that worked in security for five. He is applying for work within the security / fraud investigation / loss prevention management field in which he is totally qualified... but he's not having a great deal of luck.

At the moment, he is just searching online though job sites, however if anyone can recommend any good recruitment companies or other avenues we can explore, or if you just have any general advice about this, it would be very welcome.

We have only been here for two months... so not too worried yet, but just reaching out in as many ways as we can.

Thanks expats... hope to hear from you soon.

Charlie x x

P.S We are both legal to work... so that issue is covered.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Help for an honest Bobby!!!

This may well be specific to my industry (IT) but it seems to me that recruiters in NYC are massively into Linked-In - i get a couple of enquiries a week through it, even tho all my profile lists is my job title.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Having greencard helps...but it's all down to networking, so get on LinkedIn and tap out all your connections.

Get to any job related conventions and shows and hand out your contact details.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

charliecc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys! That is really helpful. He's getting on Linked in as we speak. And will also start researching conventions.

Thanks so much
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US with 30 years police experience a good chunk of that on counter terrorism, and struggled for years to find a decent job. Was finally offered an armed security position at the Federal Court House, but only after I became a citizen, which I didn't take as by then I had started other ventures.

With respect he isn't well qualified for the jobs he is applying for, judged against local people. How well does he know US Federal and NY State laws. Has he a college degree in criminal justice, does NY State require State certification for security guards and others in that field. Many applying for the same jobs he is will have those qualifications.

Not sure how far up the ladder he has set his sights but all I was offered was bottom rung of the ladder, minimum wage, security guard jobs to start out. Here if you are a new immigrant sometimes you have to start at the bottom again and work your way up.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

US degree and experience of ANY kind are kinda a requirement. I know it is absurd, but that's how it is. LinkedIn definitely got me my current job (IT), but I also managed to get stuff on my resume that looked like US experience, even though it was just very small side gigs.