British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job in Everett - where to live within 30 mins? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-everett-where-live-within-30-mins-729730/)

donna1971 Aug 23rd 2011 2:49 pm

Job in Everett - where to live within 30 mins?

Hello All

My husband has been offered a job in Everett on an L1 visa through his current employer and is likely to accept with a view to move very quickly.

We have 2 kids aged 11 and 12, a crazy puppy and are looking to spend around $2000 -$2500 pcm in rent with a maximum commute time of 30 mins.

After reading some of your posts I am exploring Mukilteo (in the virtual sense) as they seem to have good schools and wondered if anyone can give me some further pointers.

Thank you
Dxx

Mummy in the foothills Aug 23rd 2011 4:07 pm

Re: Job in Everett - where to live within 30 mins?

Where is Everett?

shorrock Aug 23rd 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9577339)
Where is Everett?

I'm going to say Washington State, near Seattle

nethead Aug 23rd 2011 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by shorrock (Post 9577350)
I'm going to say Washington State, near Seattle

There's an Everett in MA too.

donna1971 Aug 23rd 2011 4:48 pm

ooops!

Sorry, Yes it is Everett, Wa :)

Dxx

Anian Aug 23rd 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by donna1971 (Post 9577411)
ooops!

Sorry, Yes it is Everett, Wa :)

Dxx

I live near Everett, presumably you'll be working for Boeing (I don't though). 30 minutes at peak times doesn't get you much distance. Mukilteo is really nice. Some areas of Everett are okay, others are a bit run-down and have higher crime. Lake Stevens has lots of new suburban housing and good schools, Marysville is also close and cheaper but not so nice. Stanwood is probably the furthest north you'd want to be, there are lots of nice little communities between it and Marysville. Lynnwood is okay if you are away from the shopping area, although it has no "soul". You could probably go a little further south than that, but it starts to get very expensive very quickly.

Bob Aug 23rd 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 9577382)
There's an Everett in MA too.

Was about to say, there's probably multiple duplicates in most states... :lol:

LBR Aug 24th 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by donna1971 (Post 9577205)
Hello All

My husband has been offered a job in Everett on an L1 visa through his current employer and is likely to accept with a view to move very quickly.

We have 2 kids aged 11 and 12, a crazy puppy and are looking to spend around $2000 -$2500 pcm in rent with a maximum commute time of 30 mins.

After reading some of your posts I am exploring Mukilteo (in the virtual sense) as they seem to have good schools and wondered if anyone can give me some further pointers.

Thank you
Dxx

My husband is an elementary teacher in Everett (although his school is actually in the Mukilteo school district). Both Everett and Muilteo districts have very good reputations. We live in north Seattle and my husband commutes everyday. It takes him around 30 mins as this is a reverse commute since most people are traveling the other way. However Seattle Public School district is not so well respected so I don't know if this would work for you.

Shoreline and Edmonds are other places you may want to consider. In fact we have some friends who just moved from north Seattle to Edmonds specifically for the school district.

kimilseung Aug 24th 2011 1:13 am

I'd say Edmonds. When we were thinking that we could not afford to buy in Seattle, we were looking at various areas north of Seattle, and we were going for Edmonds when all was balanced out. (As it turned out we bought in Seattle)

donna1971 Aug 24th 2011 8:24 am

thanks for all your help.

I am about to become hidden behind a wall of state school report cards :rofl:

Dxx

kimilseung Aug 25th 2011 4:26 pm

Its all fun and games at Everett school board meeting.

Steve_ Aug 26th 2011 12:25 am

Sedro-Woolley. For no other reason than I like saying: "Sedro-Woolley" :lol:

Anian Aug 26th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9582207)
Sedro-Woolley. For no other reason than I like saying: "Sedro-Woolley" :lol:

There never is any reason needed for saying Sedro-Woolley.

London7 Aug 26th 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by donna1971 (Post 9577205)
Hello All

Thank you
Dxx

Hi Donna
I live in Seattle, I work near Everett. Everett has some nice parts, but alot of poverty too. Traffic is congested quite badly around rush hour.
Mukilteo is a great neighbourhood. My partners parents live there, and if I was to chosse a suburb,Mukilteo would be it.
You may also consider Lynnwood/Mountlake Terrace.
Shoot me a message if you need any more info.