Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Centre equivalent in the US

Job Centre equivalent in the US

Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Back2TheUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Centre equivalent in the US

Hi; my step-daughter has posed a question that I can't answer; can anyone help me, please?

She's back home in PA, whilst we're waiting out some further time in the UK before moving. She - the stepdaughter - is now looking for a job in Pennsylvania. Having lived in the UK for a time (as a student) she is familiar with the term "Job Centre" and has become sufficient Anglicised not to know whether there's a US equivalent. Since I've never had to use those services in the US, I'm not sure that there is an equivalent.

Is there?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:23 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Centre equivalent in the US

Each state has its own unemployment/employment offices.

https://www.cwds.state.pa.us/cwdsonl...zS9HD2FU8SlZBS

appears to be Pennsylvania's.

I have no idea what services they offer (eg training courses, assistance in writing resume/CV, etc) at their local offices. What is she looking for?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I have no idea what services they offer (eg training courses, assistance in writing resume/CV, etc) at their local offices. What is she looking for?
Whoa! Thanks for the quick response - as to what she wants, I really don't know. All I have is a plaintive email received overnight from her - I'll mail her back with the info you provided and see if that helps her.

She came to the UK to study with her mum and myself and whilst she enjoyed the experience, her British English degree isn't really helping her find work in the US. I think she's just exploring all avenues whilst she tries to settle down again "back home".

Again, thanks for the info.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, each state has their own...and mostly pretty shite.

Better off just looking for a job the old fashioned way, local papers, craigslist, flyers in grocery stores, job websites and temp agencies....
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:43 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2TheUSA
Hi; my step-daughter has posed a question that I can't answer; can anyone help me, please?

She's back home in PA, whilst we're waiting out some further time in the UK before moving. She - the stepdaughter - is now looking for a job in Pennsylvania. Having lived in the UK for a time (as a student) she is familiar with the term "Job Centre" and has become sufficient Anglicised not to know whether there's a US equivalent. Since I've never had to use those services in the US, I'm not sure that there is an equivalent.

Is there?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Not seen anything remotely approaching a Yob Center here. Don't think there is that level of support for people.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's not the same incentive in the US to get people to work -- there's no dole to get them off of.

Returning to the US with a degree in English really does limit the OP's step-daughter's options. Unless she does further study here, then she'll need to either know *exactly* what she wants to do and pursue it with a passion; or network like crazy and find an opening of any kind at a decent company. She can re-connect with old friends via Reunion or Facebook etc and see what they're up to and where they are working.

It's vicious out there.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:16 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the Career Centers/One Stops in my work helping others find jobs. They were pretty good had access to a lot of services, free internet use of phones etc. They also had training, jobfairs and resume writing,one even has interview clothes available.

This site helps find a Center locally
http://www.servicelocator.org/
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There's not the same incentive in the US to get people to work -- there's no dole to get them off of.

Returning to the US with a degree in English really does limit the OP's step-daughter's options. Unless she does further study here, then she'll need to either know *exactly* what she wants to do and pursue it with a passion; or network like crazy and find an opening of any kind at a decent company. She can re-connect with old friends via Reunion or Facebook etc and see what they're up to and where they are working.

It's vicious out there.
The Job Centre were pretty useless for me in the UK, when I did try their services. I'm qualified enough at what I do, to have been offered a job and received an H1-B visa with it, when I wanted to work in the US. I moved back to the UK in 2002, with my wife, a US qualified teacher. She received three job offers in the first two days, I remained unemployed in my home country for six months. No benefits were available to me, since I had worked outside the UK for the previous few years and at my level, there weren't any jobs to be had through the centre.

I'm not surprised that an English degree isn't going to count for much in the US. I realised when living in America that good people have graduate degrees; I'm now the proud possessor of a masters, which I intend to put to good use back there soon. My wife has not been able to continue teaching in England; UK (or EU) rules mean that non-EU teachers must take literacy, numeracy and IT-eracy tests (basically GCSEs) but only after four years of teaching (which doesn't quite make sense to me).

She now works for the probation service and might continue that second career when we return.

As for my step-daughter, I think she's made a big mistake She studied in England for three years and worked here for one more, before returning to the area where she grew up. She's travelled through Europe, she has lived in other countries outside the US and she's seen a little of the world. But she's cut herself off from old friends, she has no idea about a career passion and is slowly sinking ... fortunately, we have free phone calls from the UK to the US, otherwise I could see most of our spare income going to British Telecom!

Thanks for all messages.

Jeremy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The Job Centre was pretty good for me the last time I used it (not *that* long ago), for finding the kind of work I wanted - bar/restaurant work and casual labour.

I disagree that an English degree is useless - it's a springboard to a job, it's not a vocational degree. Much more depends on the quality of the issuing institution and the candidate. A Business Degree from a third rate college is no better than an English degree from the same place, and perhaps even worse.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
T
I disagree that an English degree is useless - it's a springboard to a job, it's not a vocational degree. Much more depends on the quality of the issuing institution and the candidate. A Business Degree from a third rate college is no better than an English degree from the same place, and perhaps even worse.
It can be a springboard to a job, but you've got to GET that job first -- and that usually means knowing people and networking like heck.

If the OP's stepdaughter went to school here -- even elementary school only -- I would highly suggest using the social network tools like Classmates and Facebook to catch up with old friends. Hearing about what they are doing for a job can be motivational and inspirational -- or perhaps could convince step-daughter that her future is in the UK. Certainly if she likes world travel, slaving one's way up the corporate ladder is not going to leave much time for that.

My tuppence/pesos/pennies.