Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job application process

Job application process

Old May 12th 2007, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job application process

Okay.... there's this job (nr. 1) I applied for last week. A job I would die for to get, with lots of opportunities for advancement. It's a job that would fit me perfectly. I do know that they've contacted one of my previous employers and that they received an extremely good reference about me.
I also applied for another job (nr. 2) at a company that will probably finish the application process this coming week. My interview for this job will be on Monday 14th. I strongly believe that I'm very qualified for both these jobs.

Now, let's assume that both companies want to hire me. How am I going to deal with these companies? How can I get company nr. 2 to postpone the decision, or how can I get company nr. 1 to let me know if they want to hire me or not?

I'm sure some of you have experienced something like this in the past. How have you dealt with this?
Old May 12th 2007, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job application process

Originally Posted by Toontje
Okay.... there's this job (nr. 1) I applied for last week. A job I would die for to get, with lots of opportunities for advancement. It's a job that would fit me perfectly. I do know that they've contacted one of my previous employers and that they received an extremely good reference about me.
I also applied for another job (nr. 2) at a company that will probably finish the application process this coming week. My interview for this job will be on Monday 14th. I strongly believe that I'm very qualified for both these jobs.

Now, let's assume that both companies want to hire me. How am I going to deal with these companies? How can I get company nr. 2 to postpone the decision, or how can I get company nr. 1 to let me know if they want to hire me or not?

I'm sure some of you have experienced something like this in the past. How have you dealt with this?
Usually you can request a little bit of time to decide. Or, I hate to say, even accept #2 but with a starting date 2 weeks off, and then back out if the other offer comes through.

And imo, if job #1 is the one you really want - I don't see anything wrong either with telling them that you really want to work for them, but you have another offer that you need to decide on and ask when they might be able to let you know. If they want you, they'll come up with an offer.
Old May 13th 2007, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Usually you can request a little bit of time to decide. Or, I hate to say, even accept #2 but with a starting date 2 weeks off, and then back out if the other offer comes through.

And imo, if job #1 is the one you really want - I don't see anything wrong either with telling them that you really want to work for them, but you have another offer that you need to decide on and ask when they might be able to let you know. If they want you, they'll come up with an offer.
Agreed.

Toon...I really hope these come through for you...I'll keep everything crossed. All the best.
Old May 13th 2007, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
...I'll keep everything crossed.
What? Your legs too?

What a shame.....
Old May 13th 2007, 3:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What? Your legs too?

What a shame.....
If it helps....YES.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If it helps....YES.
IF it helps, then please do so.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

IF it helps, then please do so.
I will. Good luck.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

....as you were....

Job #2 is likely to pressure Toon to start immediately (as in the next day) as they're desperate -- but the job is not as interesting. If job #1 were to fall through, then job #2 becomes a necessity.

I know many people who'd start job #2 and then if/when job #1 made an offer, would ditch job #2 after being there only a few days!

I also know people who, after having an offer from job #2, would contact job #1 and ask for status so that the applicant knows where they stand on job #1.

I'm bold enough to ask these questions but perhaps because I've been doing the interview stuff for along while:

1) when did this job become available?
2) when will the application process for this job close?
3) are there still applicants waiting to be interviewed?

I ask these questions because some employers have a job opened, need it filled, and will take the best of the group they interview. Others will dither forever, looking for a "perfect" applicant, even if they lose business or overburden existing staff by keeping the position open. In the latter case, if I don't fit into the glass slipper, I'd like to be told that up front rather than sitting around and hoping I'm the best fit.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know many people who'd start job #2 and then if/when job #1 made an offer, would ditch job #2 after being there only a few days!
That kind of move would be career-limiting for me. But he may be able to buy some time by entering into salary and benefit negotiations. And then call #1 and tell them he's been made an offer. Either they get off their asses, or they say take the #2 job, which is fine because that shows him how much he really meant to them in the first place.
Old May 19th 2007, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeehah!

I've been offered the nr. 1 job!
Old May 19th 2007, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeehah!

Congratulations....but I thought you'd decided to go back to school?
Old May 19th 2007, 1:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Well yeah, congrats and all Toon, but jeeze you started a thread about going back to school.

Are you being a tease?
Old May 19th 2007, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well yeah, congrats and all Toon, but jeeze you started a thread about going back to school.

Are you being a tease?
Can't someone start a new job AND go to school (in the evenings)?
Old May 19th 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yeehah!

WOOOHOOOO
Old May 19th 2007, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Can't someone start a new job AND go to school (in the evenings)?
Yes they can Toon. Well done!!!

You and Sam in one day wooooooooo hooooooooooooo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.