Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Application - Citizen Status

Job Application - Citizen Status

Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of
Default Job Application - Citizen Status

So, I'm doing my first job application and have already struggling
The application has a drop down box for Citizen Status:
US Citizen / Permanent US Resident
Have (H1) Work Visa
Have (F1) Student Visa
Have (TN) Visa
Need Sponsorship
Have (k1) Visa

I actually have an L2 visa with EAD. I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to use permanent US resident option (as we are going down that route anyway), but I feel a little uncomfortable with that. Why couldn't they just have an 'other' option too?
It's through a local job search site, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other applications I am about to look at are the same. Any advice?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Application - Citizen Status

The question is likely illegal. They can ask if you are a US citizen if the position requires you to be one (an example is for security clearance) but other than that they can only ask if you are authorized to work in the US or not. Since the question is not valid then I wouldn't worry about not answering it 100% correctly, pick the first option.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Oct 7th 2010 at 2:44 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Thanks Duncan. The application I'm working on now makes it a bit easier by asking "Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?", followed by "Will you now or in the future require sponsorship by ev3 for an H-1B or other type of employment visa status to maintain or continue your eligibility to work in the United States?". Though perhaps if you are right, still not legal?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The first part is valid, the second is probably OK.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is that if the option of Permanent Resident is lumped in with US Citizen, don't choose that one, even if you're a PR. You don't want to be seen as ever having made a false claim to US citizenship.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My advice is that if the option of Permanent Resident is lumped in with US Citizen, don't choose that one, even if you're a PR. You don't want to be seen as ever having made a false claim to US citizenship.

Rene
That's ridiculous.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would use the first one, the only one that implies EAD.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
That's ridiculous.
But it is also the truth...when you come to getting your citizenship, any prior claims to US citizenship is an automatically roasting in the pits of hell

The question is illegal, don't answer it...if the website is that rubbish, it's probably all a bit dodgy...find a contact person and give them a shout directly....resume will just end up in the bin anyway other wise if you aren't a USC/LPR.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
As long as the employer knows the true situation upon granting the job, I wouldn't be too worried. After all, it lumps in LPR also.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Weird, I answered this thread earlier, but it's not gone through.

The site in question is the biggest in the area, so I've emailed them suggesting that they review the question. Unfortunately you can't not answer it, as the form won't process to the next stage.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
Weird, I answered this thread earlier, but it's not gone through.

The site in question is the biggest in the area, so I've emailed them suggesting that they review the question. Unfortunately you can't not answer it, as the form won't process to the next stage.
A lot of sites have similar problems with GPA fields. You often have to enter something.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:40 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

The I-9 form used to ask if you are a US citizen or National. Many who lied about it later argued that they didn't falsely claim US citizenship - but merely US Nationality - and not all US Nationals are US citizens. They got away with it.

You are definitely not lying if you say you are a US citizen or permanent resident. Otherwise, you would be making false claim to being a citizen when you put yourself in the USC/LPR line in the airport too.

Originally Posted by Bob
But it is also the truth...when you come to getting your citizenship, any prior claims to US citizenship is an automatically roasting in the pits of hell

The question is illegal, don't answer it...if the website is that rubbish, it's probably all a bit dodgy...find a contact person and give them a shout directly....resume will just end up in the bin anyway other wise if you aren't a USC/LPR.