British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job Advice - Payroll (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-advice-payroll-931581/)

stuwoolf Mar 7th 2020 11:08 pm

Job Advice - Payroll

Hi,

In UK the "go to" software for payroll tends to be Sage..

What about USA, New Jersey and Florida, which payroll software is/are most popular?

Grateful for any help.

tom169 Mar 7th 2020 11:43 pm

Re: Job Advice - Payroll

ADP

Nutmegger Mar 8th 2020 12:11 am

Paychex.

newadventure Mar 9th 2020 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12817578)
Paychex.

We (small company based in SC) use Paychex. We moved to them after the Wells Fargo payroll service made a couple of mistakes (including missing one employee completely one payroll run). I would like to say that Paychex have been better, but they haven't

stuwoolf Mar 9th 2020 4:10 pm

Thank you for the replies so far. It gives quite an insight and suggests, on US, there is no "go to" software.

I have asked this question as I am in the process of visa application and had hoped to do some training/studying before moving to US.

Grateful for anymore views.

newadventure Mar 9th 2020 4:13 pm

Yes, sorry - Paychex is a payroll service rather than payroll software

stuwoolf Mar 9th 2020 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 12818233)
Yes, sorry - Paychex is a payroll service rather than payroll software

Please, dont be sorry. It maybe that the way things are done in US is to engage a service provider rather than employ someone within the company to undertake payroll services.

Food for thought.....

Thank You.

tht Mar 9th 2020 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12818234)
Please, dont be sorry. It maybe that the way things are done in US is to engage a service provider rather than employ someone within the company to undertake payroll services.

Food for thought.....

Thank You.

If you are looking at setting up over here the other option for smaller employers who don’t have the required experience or scale for benefits is to use a PEO who also handle the payroll, WC and all the other compliance requirements. In the past I have used this for a 6 person firm: https://www.trinet.com/

For anyone to advise what would work they would need to know what you are trying to do, because the answer depends on to many variables.

payroll itself is probably the easiest part of it all.

Nutmegger Mar 9th 2020 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 12818227)
We (small company based in SC) use Paychex. We moved to them after the Wells Fargo payroll service made a couple of mistakes (including missing one employee completely one payroll run). I would like to say that Paychex have been better, but they haven't

It's probably always going to be a YMMV kind of thing -- I've used them for over twenty years with no glitches, entering all of my own data and running payroll myself, and they are always responsive when I don't know how to make an adjustment.

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12818234)

Food for thought.....

Thank You.

Missed that you were looking for software! QuickBooks Pro has a payroll module, and is pretty much the benchmark for small office accounting software.

tht Mar 9th 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12818231)
Thank you for the replies so far. It gives quite an insight and suggests, on US, there is no "go to" software.

I have asked this question as I am in the process of visa application and had hoped to do some training/studying before moving to US.

Grateful for anymore views.

Training/studying on payroll software?
Are you moving here to be a payroll administrator?
Why not ask the employer moving you here what software they use?

tom169 Mar 9th 2020 11:54 pm

Payroll can get exceptionally complex. Deductions, tax where the job is performed, tax where the employee resides. Tax from the feds, the state, the county and even the city/town. Sometimes the taxes are on the entire years pay, some times they stop after a certain amount of income.

Nutmegger Mar 10th 2020 12:08 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12818396)
Training/studying on payroll software?
Are you moving here to be a payroll administrator?
Why not ask the employer moving you here what software they use?

Really. We’re all making suggestions that might not fit because we don’t know precisely what the OP is looking for or the size/type of business.