Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

JFK Airport Customs

JFK Airport Customs

Old Apr 21st 2003, 4:37 am
Ambria

Default JFK Airport Customs

Can someone tell me about the airports customs and what to tell my husband
to expect when he gets off the airplane here to change planes?

I know he will have to go to claim his baggage and then go to the custom
lines...is there a special line for the K3 visa holders or does he go into
the US Citizen's line or where?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Ambria

Old Apr 21st 2003, 4:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JFK Airport Customs

Originally posted by Ambria

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Ambria
Ambria, Customs and Immigration are 2 different things. Do you mean to ask about Immigration lines at the airport? Or, if you really mean Customs after claiming his baggage, I don't recall a different line for USC/foreigners.
Old Apr 21st 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went through JFK in late Feb, I do beleive they have a seperate line for US Citizens and PR's. Then the customs line is next. I was pretty tired when I got to JFK and a little emotionally spent, so I am remembering the best I can.

I don't know if that came out right, but I meant there is one line for Citizens and Permanent Residents and another line for all others. There I think that sounds better.

Last edited by JeffB; Apr 22nd 2003 at 12:12 am.
Old Apr 21st 2003, 8:53 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ambria,

Customs does not have separate lines for citizens and non-citizens.

Regards,
JEff

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Ambria
Old Apr 21st 2003, 10:43 pm
Ambria

Thanks all.....I was just wondering if I could ease going through the lines
a little bit for my husband and tell him ahead of time where to go and what
to expect.

"Ambria" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can someone tell me about the airports customs and what to tell my husband
    > to expect when he gets off the airplane here to change planes?
    > I know he will have to go to claim his baggage and then go to the custom
    > lines...is there a special line for the K3 visa holders or does he go into
    > the US Citizen's line or where?
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thanks!
    > Ambria

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 3:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.....I was just wondering if I could ease going through the lines
a little bit for my husband and tell him ahead of time where to go and what
to expect.

"Ambria" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can someone tell me about the airports customs and what to tell my husband
    > to expect when he gets off the airplane here to change planes?
    > I know he will have to go to claim his baggage and then go to the custom
    > lines...is there a special line for the K3 visa holders or does he go into
    > the US Citizen's line or where?
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thanks!
    > Ambria
<sigh>
I'm pretty sure you mean which *Immigration* line he should enter through. It really depends on the airport & I didn't go through JFK & I'm not going to search for you. But basically, it probably won't matter. He will go to the first set of desks and tell them he has a K3 visa. Ideally he will have it (the big brown envelope) in his hand. In fact, if he holds it out in front of him and wanders around, someone will point him to the right desk. At a big Int'l airport like JFK, there will probably be officers working the lines to make sure people get to the right one. The first desk officer will check him in and send him to Secondary Inspection where they will take the envelope and possibly have him sign a form and give a fingerprint. One of these people will stamp his passport. I have officially overstepped my bounds because that's what they do for an IV; I have no idea how close it is to K3 processing, but hey, at least I'm keeping your post near the top for others to see.

*Then* he will pick up his bags and clear Customs, and then come running out to see you and AOS. Good luck to you both.