Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jewellery in the US

Jewellery in the US

Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jewellery in the US

Ok - I know I'm asking for trouble by starting a thread with this title but I was in Tiffany today and noticed a few things which I thought were a bit strange...

1) The place was full of teenage girls and their parents - there were serious sums of cash being spent on jewellery for the young girls (I'm talking thousands of dollars here). Who does this for a teenager who is likely to have found something she like more by this time next week ??

2) The place was full of teenage boys and their parents. The boys seemed to be spending $$$'s of mummy and daddy's cash on gifts for their girlfriends (again, I am talking considerable sums of cash here). Who does this ??

3) There were a few couple in shopping for engagement rings. All 3 of the women involved looked so serious it was unbelievable when they were talking with the sales assistant - it was like they were trying to seal a billion dollar business deal - the hunger in their eyes was clearly visible.

So anyway - maybe this stuff isn't weird at all, but any time I was in a jewellers back home (usually to get a watch battery replaced) it was never like this.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me ??
Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:17 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jewellery in the US

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - I know I'm asking for trouble by starting a thread with this title but I was in Tiffany today and noticed a few things which I thought were a bit strange...

1) The place was full of teenage girls and their parents - there were serious sums of cash being spent on jewellery for the young girls (I'm talking thousands of dollars here). Who does this for a teenager who is likely to have found something she like more by this time next week ??

2) The place was full of teenage boys and their parents. The boys seemed to be spending $$$'s of mummy and daddy's cash on gifts for their girlfriends (again, I am talking considerable sums of cash here). Who does this ??

3) There were a few couple in shopping for engagement rings. All 3 of the women involved looked so serious it was unbelievable when they were talking with the sales assistant - it was like they were trying to seal a billion dollar business deal - the hunger in their eyes was clearly visible.

So anyway - maybe this stuff isn't weird at all, but any time I was in a jewellers back home (usually to get a watch battery replaced) it was never like this.

WTF where you doing at Tiffany's anyway?

Getting your watch battery replaced?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:21 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

He was having breakfast.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:22 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Casing the joint
Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

awful place. the one of 5th ave in nyc by my office is as much as tourist attraction as the ESB.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Ok - I know I'm asking for trouble by starting a thread with this ................Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me ??

I once had my ear pierced in a jewelry department in the UK.
It cost about a quid, I think.

I thought that was extravagant at the time.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You have good taste Davy...is an announcement imminent?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Casing the joint
Well I do hope you was wearing something a bit more classy than a Hoody
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:52 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You have good taste Davy...is an announcement imminent?
Yes........

........I haven't eaten the lemon choccy bar yet
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You ventured into a dark and dangerous realm, BDG. Think of what De Beers did for diamonds - now you know what Tiffany has done for jewellery in the US.

A classic example: Turquoise comes in many colors, but if someone says turquoise to you, you'll think of one color in particular - that's Tiffany work.

Every US girl wants her Tiffany ring so never admit that you know what it is.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed it. Sadly, after 2-3 years here, I no longer think its strange. In the same way as a lot of university parking lots look more like the players car park at Old Trafford.

Seems a lot more parents here have a ton more money than their UK counterparts to spend on their kids.....either real or on the never-never.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes........

........I haven't eaten the lemon choccy bar yet

Davy...you are a tease.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:31 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It seems all the guys at hubbies work have to buy jewelry for their wifes for any little reason...its some kind of nest egg for when he leaves her for a newer model or some such....I hate jewelry...I don't even wear a wedding ring more than a few times a year...$500 is class as cheap....such a little amount is only to be spent if she breaks a nail or some such...a gift has to be so very much more....
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krizzy
It seems all the guys at hubbies work have to buy jewelry for their wifes for any little reason...its some kind of nest egg for when he leaves her for a newer model or some such....I hate jewelry...I don't even wear a wedding ring more than a few times a year...$500 is class as cheap....such a little amount is only to be spent if she breaks a nail or some such...a gift has to be so very much more....
Doesn't interest me either.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:45 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Urgh, hate Tiffanys. Mainly because of the clientele and the ones in London look at you like your scum if you aren't wearing some kind of Armani suit.

The ball and chain got my engagement ring online! (Bluenile.com) It's lovely too.
I chose my own wedding ring, bought it off Overstock.com, it was on sale and about $500 cheaper than I'd seen it in any store. I hate shopping. My goal is to buy at least 90% of the Christmas pressies from the comfort of my keyboard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.