British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Jase2022's questions about car finance for new immigrant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/jase2022s-questions-about-car-finance-new-immigrant-944583/)

Jase2022 Jun 30th 2022 11:13 am

Jase2022's questions about car finance for new immigrant

How can i buy a car in USA without any Credit score history

Rete Jun 30th 2022 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Jase2022 (Post 13125925)
How can i buy a car in USA without any Credit score history

Did you read the 17 posts before you added your post? Lots of information there.

Jase2022 Jun 30th 2022 12:23 pm

Yes i did but since I'm doing immigration process i want to know the specific Agencies who can start the process whilst I'm still here besides Autosource and Expataride since these have indicated that the specific car I'm looking for they don't have it due to shortages in supply. I'm looking for a 7 seater SUV

tht Jun 30th 2022 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jase2022 (Post 13125946)
Yes i did but since I'm doing immigration process i want to know the specific Agencies who can start the process whilst I'm still here besides Autosource and Expataride since these have indicated that the specific car I'm looking for they don't have it due to shortages in supply. I'm looking for a 7 seater SUV

good luck, be prepared to pay over MSRP… I am buying the similar right now and the car is currently on a ROLO from Asia stuck at Anchor waiting to get in to the port. I had to look at 20+ dealerships a lot further than my local one to find one that had a car that had the color and features I would settle for.

petitefrancaise Jun 30th 2022 1:38 pm

Advancial.org are doing auto loans/credit cards for new expats.
city national bank are great with new arrivals as well. Ask for the cross border banking team https://www.cnb.com/personal-banking.html
Both of these will set you up with bank accounts/credit cards once you have your visa in hand and before you leave the UK. My preference with my clients is city national bank.

Jase2022 Jun 30th 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125972)
good luck, be prepared to pay over MSRP… I am buying the similar right now and the car is currently on a ROLO from Asia stuck at Anchor waiting to get in to the port. I had to look at 20+ dealerships a lot further than my local one to find one that had a car that had the color and features I would settle for.

Ok fine, who financed your car?

tht Jun 30th 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jase2022 (Post 13125980)
Ok fine, who financed your car?

I am a USC now with established credit so it won’t be relevant to you.

The car is sitting on a ship, the part I will finance to “maintain” my credit will be done at the dealership when it’s on the lot to collect so no idea who yet.

petitefrancaise Jun 30th 2022 1:59 pm

I am also hearing of 3+ month delays at the dealership for delivery but not necessarily over the MSRP and some dealers won't even sell you anything unless it is in stock.

tht Jun 30th 2022 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 13125987)
I am also hearing of 3+ month delays at the dealership for delivery but not necessarily over the MSRP and some dealers won't even sell you anything unless it is in stock.

Correct, they can’t “sell” me something they don’t have yet, they just have a $2k deposit from me to “reserve” that car that’s on the ship so no one else can buy it.

civilservant Jul 1st 2022 9:01 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 13125987)

They haven't ever sold cars they didn't have.

You can order and place a deposit to reserve it, but you haven't bought it and can still bail from the transaction.

christmasoompa Jul 1st 2022 9:44 am

Re: Jase2022's questions about car finance for new immigrant

Just as a note, I've moved Jase2022's question and the responses in to a new thread, as it had been tagged on to a thread that was over a year old.

PetrifiedExPat Jul 1st 2022 1:40 pm

Cash, cash is King

petitefrancaise Jul 1st 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13126189)
They haven't ever sold cars they didn't have.

You can order and place a deposit to reserve it, but you haven't bought it and can still bail from the transaction.

You're right - I meant that they won't even order a car for you since delivery is so uncertain.

Pulaski Jul 1st 2022 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13126257)
Cash, cash is King

Actual "cash" at a car dealer can cause problems, so I assume you mean "funds in your account", not carrying a holdall of folding-stuff to the dealership? :unsure:

A neighbour of mine did pay actual cash for a car last year, and not a cheap one, though I would have warned him against the idea if he had asked me. Well he sat in the dealership finance office while the cash was counted, and recounted until everyone was happy. He signed off on the purchase paperwork and dealer signed and handed him a receipt. A few days later the dealer called him to notify him that by the time the cash reached the bank several $thousands had disappeared! :blink: My neighbours attitude was, quite rightly, "I have a receipt for the full amount, what do you expect me to do about it? :confused:"

Apparently the dealer had already decided that they were no longer going to accept cash, at least not above a certain level. :lol:

PetrifiedExPat Jul 5th 2022 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13126331)
Actual "cash" at a car dealer can cause problems, so I assume you mean "funds in your account", not carrying a holdall of folding-stuff to the dealership? :unsure:

A neighbour of mine did pay actual cash for a car last year, and not a cheap one, though I would have warned him against the idea if he had asked me. Well he sat in the dealership finance office while the cash was counted, and recounted until everyone was happy. He signed off on the purchase paperwork and dealer signed and handed him a receipt. A few days later the dealer called him to notify him that by the time the cash reached the bank several $thousands had disappeared! :blink: My neighbours attitude was, quite rightly, "I have a receipt for the full amount, what do you expect me to do about it? :confused:"

Apparently the dealer had already decided that they were no longer going to accept cash, at least not above a certain level. :lol:

OK OK, bankers draft or cashiers cheque