Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jaguar Mk 2 LHD for export

Jaguar Mk 2 LHD for export

Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice
Default Jaguar Mk 2 LHD for export

Hello, this may sound like a wild question from someone living in Siberia, but I'm looking to buy a LHD Jaguar Mk 2. I've researched prices in the US and found that they are about half that of the UK. Even taking account of export/shipping there would be a great saving

I'm looking to buy one for import to France (where I have my second home) and have now to research the complexities of exporting a car from the USA. Shipping seems relatively easy, and I can deal with the French bureaucracy ok.

Would welcome any advice from folk who have exported their car from the USA either to Europe of the UK.

Also iif you are selling such a car, let me know!

Vanya
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jaguar Mk 2 LHD for export

It is a very simple process, I have exported dozens of motorcycles over the years. The car should titled in the name of the seller. Send an invoice made out to you with the make model and VIN no plus the title to your shipping agent who will submit it to US Customs, they will verify all the details are correct and stamp the title "Export Approved". You can ship Roll on Roll off, if it does not run there is a fee for pushing it or put it in a 20 foot container. It should be blocked and braced in a container to minimise movement and remember you will have to have a loading dock or car transporter to get it in and out of the container. If you need more info feel free to pm me. Great choice of car by the way love those 3.8 Jags. If the paperwork is less than perfect leave it alone, the car be held on the docks incurring fees and the fine for trying to export vehicles with incorrect paperwork is $5000 per vehicle.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Apr 28th 2012 at 6:06 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
It is a very simple process, I have exported dozens of motorcycles over the years. The car should titled in the name of the seller. Send an invoice made out to you with the make model and VIN no plus the title to your shipping agent who will submit it to US Customs, they will verify all the details are correct and stamp the title "Export Approved". You can ship Roll on Roll off, if it does not run there is a fee for pushing it or put it in a 20 foot container. It should be blocked and braced in a container to minimise movement and remember you will have to have a loading dock or car transporter to get it in and out of the container. If you need more info feel free to pm me. Great choice of car by the way love those 3.8 Jags. If the paperwork is less than perfect leave it alone, the car be held on the docks incurring fees and the fine for trying to export vehicles with incorrect paperwork is $5000 per vehicle.
That's really useful information, thanks. I'll certainly be in touch again when I have got things moving!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget that there's a certain class of car "restorer" here that are absolute masters in sculpting half a body panel from bondo and chicken wire. Actually, for some the chicken wire is optional...

In a lot of states there is no requirement for something like an MOT/Controle Technique, so there isn't necessarily a minimum standard for repairing Fred Flintstone-like floors.

Buy the car from a reputable source and have it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing and can tell you if the shiny paintjob is hiding horrors or not. You can find very good cars over here that have been restored to perfection and beyond, but there are also cars that aren't worth a third of the asking price.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Don't forget that there's a certain class of car "restorer" here that are absolute masters in sculpting half a body panel from bondo and chicken wire. Actually, for some the chicken wire is optional...

In a lot of states there is no requirement for something like an MOT/Controle Technique, so there isn't necessarily a minimum standard for repairing Fred Flintstone-like floors.

Buy the car from a reputable source and have it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing and can tell you if the shiny paintjob is hiding horrors or not. You can find very good cars over here that have been restored to perfection and beyond, but there are also cars that aren't worth a third of the asking price.
Yes, that's a good point. I'll certainly have it thoroughly inspected and bring over specifications needed for our Controle Technique . Thanks for the tip.