British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   J1 Visa Waiver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/j1-visa-waiver-482004/)

mattydowd Sep 18th 2007 6:37 pm

J1 Visa Waiver

Hi there,
may I just say thank you for all the help this site has provided me so far, I have on many occasions found it far more user friendly and helpful than those provided by the Governments of the involved countries!

I am a British graduate who completed a j1 visa exchange in the states a year ago, I didnt outstay my visa or have any convictions. I now wish to marry my fiancee (been together for 4 years)but I need to get my 2 year Home residency waived, which I know i am subject to. I have tried to phone all the numbers from the uk for the uk embassy in washington, to get a no objection statement, but i havent been able to get through or find the correct office?
Could anyone help me please with a phone number if ringing from the uk because the ones provided on the uk washington embassy site do not work?
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
matt

Elvira Sep 18th 2007 6:39 pm

Re: J1 Visa Waiver

Originally Posted by mattydowd (Post 5326846)
Hi there,
may I just say thank you for all the help this site has provided me so far, I have on many occasions found it far more user friendly and helpful than those provided by the Governments of the involved countries!

I am a British graduate who completed a j1 visa exchange in the states a year ago, I didnt outstay my visa or have any convictions. I now wish to marry my fiancee (been together for 4 years)but I need to get my 2 year Home residency waived, which I know i am subject to. I have tried to phone all the numbers from the uk for the uk embassy in washington, to get a no objection statement, but i havent been able to get through or find the correct office?
Could anyone help me please with a phone number if ringing from the uk because the ones provided on the uk washington embassy site do not work?
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
matt

Sorry can't help but have you tried emailing them?

mattydowd Sep 18th 2007 6:43 pm

yes, but i can only "contact" thm, there is no way of emailing them asking for a response:confused:

explorerman Sep 19th 2007 5:03 pm

When did the home residency change to 2 years? I came to the States on a J1 visa in 94/95, met a girl, got engaged. I went back to the UK in Aug 95 and finished college. I returned to the States in July 96 on a K1 visa and got married in Sept 96.
I really must get my citizenship soon as my GC expires in a couple of years and it would be much easier to become a citizen than go through the GC hassle again.

Roy

mattydowd Sep 19th 2007 9:29 pm

srry, am I right in understanding that because I still have 10 months left on my 2 year home visa requirement, that I can't have my status changed to a k1 untill I have served that time? Or have I wasted valuable time in beginning this waiver process? Is it possible for me to apply for a K1 now then when/if(!!) it is granted go out there?
thanks for responding,
mat

Bob Sep 19th 2007 10:19 pm

I'm closing this as you've started a thread on the subject in the immigration forums :)