Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

j1 visa - options to extend stay in USA. Help please!

j1 visa - options to extend stay in USA. Help please!

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

redcean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default j1 visa - options to extend stay in USA. Help please!

Hi everyone

I'm not looking to move to the US permanently so if I'm in the wrong place sorry for the hassle.

I am working for 3 months in California this summer and my J1 visa expires on september 17th (that includes the 30 day grace period).

My question is how can I legally stay in the US after that to travel until mid-late October? I have friends in Canada I would love to visit and I have read if you go to canada for a short while you are very likely to be allowed back in to the states on a Visa Waiver or a B2 visa. Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: j1 visa - options to extend stay in USA. Help please!

You should leave the US, and then re-enter. Providing your are otherwise eligible you can attempt to enter on the VWP. No guarantees though, obviously.

Do you have a flight booked for a return to your home country?f
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, that's what I thought.

Well, I have a standby ticket which means I can turn up on any given day and get on a flight to the UK. It's pre-paid and through an official airline.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a true standby ticket? I'm guessing you're on a Bunac/Camp America type of program and they used to block book tickets, not issue standbys, but the numbers of tickets they booked meant that you only had to give them 24 hours notice and you'd be likely to get on a plane within that 24 hours. Also, once the summer camps died down and the last 30 days were up, there'd be nobody around to give you your ticket (since they only gave them to you after you'd completed your assignment).

Just some things to check - if it's all ok then apologies for the interruption!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Not an interruption mate! Any information on the matter is useful to me.

The stand by ticket is actually due to me having a relative who works for the airline and not linked to a camp in any way! Would that style of ticket have any impact?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redcean
Not an interruption mate! Any information on the matter is useful to me.

The stand by ticket is actually due to me having a relative who works for the airline and not linked to a camp in any way! Would that style of ticket have any impact?
Fair enough! As to your latter, I have no idea - though be prepared to show it when checking-in for the outbound flight and/or to US immigration if the outbound and inbound tickets aren't linked.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew and a few of his camp friends did this last year and then came back in on the VWP.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Geoff you know more than I do that's for sure!

Orangepants - any idea how long they went to Canada for? (and how long for?)