British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   J1 visa denied :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/j1-visa-denied-248095/)

Expat_Wannabe Aug 11th 2004 3:28 pm

J1 visa denied :(

Having a bit of a bummer of a day! Found out that my J1 visa got rejected over the weekend and found out the full reason today was 'Essentially the traineeship looked more like a job. Given the previous experience of the pax and the job offer included in the application it seemed evident that the Host Company is using the Trainee Program for recruiting. Since the Trainee Program has clear restrictions regarding filling labor needs, program admission felt this app should be denied. Any appeal should probably go out of its way to prove this is not a regular employee position at the Company and that it varies greatly from the pax's previous experience.'
Any advice or reassuring words would be greatfully received, particularly from Lesley! It's difficult to stay optimistic when the rejection statement seems so final, but I'm going to resubmit a more detailed training plan and get my employer to appeal the decision. Just seem to have some so far, having been looking for a job for over a year and then finally finding an employer that would be willing to wait and fill out the paperwork!
Fingers crossed!

Chopper-Chris Aug 11th 2004 3:50 pm

Re: J1 visa denied :(

this is a common story, and becoming more and more common.

could the company hire you on an H1?

Expat_Wannabe Aug 11th 2004 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
this is a common story, and becoming more and more common.

could the company hire you on an H1?

They wanted to know what the other options were, but I can't imagine they'd be too keen on starting down that route! I'm putting together as much supplementary evidence as I can in the hope of convincing them. The thing is I know that it does meet the visa criteria, I'm 24 (2 years out of uni), have limited experience in the field and would really benefi from the training/experience! Just have to hope that comes through in the appeal application!

leslita Aug 17th 2004 6:44 pm

Don´t lose your faith! I´m in a smiliar situation but with a L1 visa. It was approved vy BCSIS but rejected in the consulate. I hope next week that Ihave another interview things change. For both!

Expat_Wannabe Aug 21st 2004 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by leslita
Don´t lose your faith! I´m in a smiliar situation but with a L1 visa. It was approved vy BCSIS but rejected in the consulate. I hope next week that Ihave another interview things change. For both!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I found out yesterday that my visa has been approved! I have an Embassy interview on the 8th and will hopefully be flying out on the 15th to start work on the 20th! Can't wait :)

Chopper-Chris Aug 21st 2004 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Expat_Wannabe
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I found out yesterday that my visa has been approved! I have an Embassy interview on the 8th and will hopefully be flying out on the 15th to start work on the 20th! Can't wait :)

excellent, where will you be working?

dbj1000 Aug 21st 2004 4:19 pm

Great news! Does that mean it's time to change your screen name?

... just Wannabe perhaps? :D

Bob Aug 21st 2004 5:15 pm

Nice...goodluck with the interview :)
So you going to change your handle? :P

Expat_Wannabe Aug 23rd 2004 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice...goodluck with the interview :)
So you going to change your handle? :P

Hum, hadn't really thought about that :) Have a hundred and one other things to think about though! There's just so many little things to organise and only three weeks to do it in!
I'll be working in Downtown LA and hoping to live in Old Town Pasadena. Can't wait, especially since we don't seem to have had a summer in London!

Lesley1020 Aug 24th 2004 12:05 am

Congratulations!! I only saw your post today, but I have replied to your email and sent you my phone numbers if you need any help/advice from hereon in, so check your mail :)

Seems to be they reject everything as standard at the beginning, and probably so because so many people do use this as a way to get in the door cough cough. LOL.

I was going to suggest the H3 visa if you hadn't had it accepted - I am about to post on that issue myself. I remember the day they rejected my application for the second time - I sat in my office and cried my eyes out as it seemed to be very final, but hey determination and continuous trying gets you a long way!!!!

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon - now the fun begins with all the packing and logistics LOL!