Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

J visa and taxes

J visa and taxes

Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default J visa and taxes

So it's tax time and I just wondered if anyone had any experience of filing taxes while here on a J visa? Does the J visa qualify for any special exemptions?
Also, I read in the literature provided by our employer (University of California) that Social Security taxes are recoverable for those on a J visa, anyone have any idea if this is correct???
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:45 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Re: J visa and taxes

Originally Posted by mikec81
So it's tax time and I just wondered if anyone had any experience of filing taxes while here on a J visa? Does the J visa qualify for any special exemptions?
Also, I read in the literature provided by our employer (University of California) that Social Security taxes are recoverable for those on a J visa, anyone have any idea if this is correct???
I was on a J for 2.5 years and I got screwed on my taxes. I "had" to file a 1040NR and you don't even get the exemptions that a resident gets. So, make sure you file a normal 1040. If you are in the US for less than 2 years, you don't have to pay any taxes.

I don't think you should be paying SS on a J1. I didn't.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dan B
I was on a J for 2.5 years and I got screwed on my taxes. I "had" to file a 1040NR and you don't even get the exemptions that a resident gets. So, make sure you file a normal 1040. If you are in the US for less than 2 years, you don't have to pay any taxes.

I don't think you should be paying SS on a J1. I didn't.

So, if I stay for more than 2 years, will I have to pay back the tax for the first two years I was here?

I am going to call the Social Security office tonight to find out about the SS. Been paying it for the last 6 months so might be due a refund, although I doubt my chances of actually seeing any cash back are too good...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:33 pm

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

So, if I stay for more than 2 years, will I have to pay back the tax for the first two years I was here?

I am going to call the Social Security office tonight to find out about the SS. Been paying it for the last 6 months so might be due a refund, although I doubt my chances of actually seeing any cash back are too good...
yeah, 1 minute over 2 years and you'll be liable for the previous 2 years.

what people where I work do, if they are undecided, will claim the tax treaty and put the equivalent in a high interest savings account if they do decide to stay.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

When I was on mine you were exempt from SS and medicare but had to pay state, federal and city. I got almost all the tax I paid back, but I was only here for 3 months and had no W-2!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am not entirely sure how long we plan to stay, although the idea to claim the tax treaty and then save it to possibly repay later sounds like a good idea.
On the Social Security side of things, looks like I need to start claim that back as soon as I can...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not entirely sure how long we plan to stay, although the idea to claim the tax treaty and then save it to possibly repay later sounds like a good idea.
On the Social Security side of things, looks like I need to start claim that back as soon as I can...
You should be able to have your employer stop taking it out of your pay. I forget if there is a form you need to fill in but SS and medicare shouldn't be taken out.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in the US for long enough to be resident for tax purposes you have to pay tax. If you are on a J1 and are here for less than 2 years you don't have to pay FICA.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You should be able to have your employer stop taking it out of your pay. I forget if there is a form you need to fill in but SS and medicare shouldn't be taken out.
yeah, I think it is part of the W4?