Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've just come back from Florida and want to move there

I've just come back from Florida and want to move there

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've just come back from Florida and want to move there

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Don't tempt me. I could do worse.

Oddly enough, I'm not keen on moving to Florida though?
You're right - you could do a lot worse!

I think I'd take the Lake District over Florida as well
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
You're right - you could do a lot worse!

I think I'd take the Lake District over Florida as well
My husband announced he could live in the UK on our first night. (We were in a pub called Dirty Dick's of all things.)

I do think the sun would need to come out a little more often than it did during our trip, as that would get me a bit down over time. But ... I think it even rained a lot by British standards.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
My husband announced he could live in the UK on our first night. (We were in a pub called Dirty Dick's of all things.)

I do think the sun would need to come out a little more often than it did during our trip, as that would get me a bit down over time. But ... I think it even rained a lot by British standards.
Lol - yes a pub with a name like that would make you think about staying!

From what I hear about the time you were in the UK, yes, you were particulary unlucky with the weather. Having said that, you were also on the West coast which is generally the wettest part of the country anyway.

We live on the south coast in the UK (Dorset) and if there's sunshine to be had we usually get our share, so it's not too bad. It's handy for the ferries to France as well so that's useful...
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:21 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by N1cky
Well, kind of.

People are so much more friendlier there, I had more conversations with Americans there in 5 days than in my 20 months in Los Angeles.

I also went to the English pub in Epcot and nearly cried bit disappointed I couldn't get any pork scratchings though.
Yes well done N1cky, slowly you are all being converted to the Florida way of life... its all good
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Lol - yes a pub with a name like that would make you think about staying!

From what I hear about the time you were in the UK, yes, you were particulary unlucky with the weather. Having said that, you were also on the West coast which is generally the wettest part of the country anyway.

We live on the south coast in the UK (Dorset) and if there's sunshine to be had we usually get our share, so it's not too bad. It's handy for the ferries to France as well so that's useful...
Speaking of pubs ... why do the UK pubs close so early?

It was wet, but really not a big deal. Most days it just drizzled a bit with the sun coming out periodically. Only in the Lake District did it rain substantially. You're right that a good portion of our trip was spent in the West. We had some nice weather in York and Edinburgh.

I'd love to be within ferry distance of France. I was a French major at university, but never have a chance to use that now. I'm very jealous of you!

One of the best things about Europe, to me anyway, is just how fabulous it is to wander around. The history is fascinating, and I prefer the lifestyle as well.

Truth be told if I worked for a company with international locations I'd be up for a transfer in a heartbeat, and it's not because I detest where we're from.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Sep 13th 2009 at 12:50 am.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What made it seem even more English, was when I tried to give them my cast member discount card, and they said 'sorry, we don't do CM discount here otherwise the pub would be full of pi**ed up employees'

Something you rarely get in CA is colleagues drinking together

Good point

When I was in San Francisco, people seemed friendlier than in LA
You want to move further north, say Seattle. They are much more friendlier up here and the weather is a whole lot nicer....
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You want to move further north, say Seattle. They are much more friendlier up here and the weather is a whole lot nicer....
Easy peasy
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Easy peasy

Of course!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, all that rain. I love rain
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh yes, all that rain. I love rain
sigh.... It really doesn't rain here as much as rumor has it. I couldn't live here if it rained that much. But, we get four seasons here and the summers aren't as bad as SoCal (although we did have a few hot days during this summer! ) The fall season is beautiful and winters aren't bad as well, occasional snow. Beautiful, scenic country. You should come up and have a look around.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

sigh.... It really doesn't rain here as much as rumor has it. I couldn't live here if it rained that much. But, we get four seasons here and the summers aren't as bad as SoCal (although we did have a few hot days during this summer! ) The fall season is beautiful and winters aren't bad as well, occasional snow. Beautiful, scenic country. You should come up and have a look around.
Seattle is definately on the places to visit list, however a move there is unlikley as our visa is tied into my hubby's work, which is here. To be honest I don't see a move within the states at all when we leave So Cal it will be back to England
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seattle is definately on the places to visit list, however a move there is unlikley as our visa is tied into my hubby's work, which is here. To be honest I don't see a move within the states at all when we leave So Cal it will be back to England
Oh well.... You'll just have to come up and visit as you said.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
Banned

FLexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is another thing to ponder in regards to benefits of living in Florida - it's closer to home! When you are on the West coast, flying to Europe takes longer and costs more.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the Lake District the other weekend. Hammered day with rain every day. Beautiful.. yes... but sooooo much rain!!!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

well this thread has helped me more than the original thread I started! 'where to move FL V CA?
it seems that people in FL are more laid back but less educated than in CA
the weather in FL is too humid but the weather in CA is dry.
FL closer to home. But seems that CA is more scenic.
less expensive to live though in FL than CA, which could be the ultimate decision that we decide on.
But then it seems CA is much more vast than FL.
people better/more laid back in FL than CA BUT in CA they wear false smiles and false ..... (as LA does)
all of this information from one thread
thanks thats certainly helped!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.