British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I've just come back from Florida and want to move there (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ive-just-come-back-florida-want-move-there-629977/)

N1cky Sep 9th 2009 9:58 pm

I've just come back from Florida and want to move there

Well, kind of.

People are so much more friendlier there, I had more conversations with Americans there in 5 days than in my 20 months in Los Angeles.

I also went to the English pub in Epcot and nearly cried:o bit disappointed I couldn't get any pork scratchings though.

limeynus Sep 9th 2009 10:04 pm

Re: I've just come back from Florida and want to move there

LOL! I've been to that pub .. not bad is it! I agree with you about people being friendlier ... I was in Kissimmee in August and people were really friendly.

caleyjag Sep 9th 2009 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 7918299)
Well, kind of.

People are so much more friendlier there, I had more conversations with Americans there in 5 days than in my 20 months in Los Angeles.

I also went to the English pub in Epcot and nearly cried:o bit disappointed I couldn't get any pork scratchings though.

Are you insane?

meauxna Sep 9th 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7918316)
Are you insane?

If she was, she'd probably have better luck meeting people in LA! :lol:

N1cky, that cracked me up, but I had the same experience in LA (and I'm from California, albeit the north end). People there just aren't all that friendly. In general.

Sharron_ Sep 9th 2009 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7918323)

N1cky, that cracked me up, but I had the same experience in LA (and I'm from California, albeit the north end). People there just aren't all that friendly. In general.

You're telling me. Can we add Flakey and Ignorant to that too.

N1cky Sep 9th 2009 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by limeynus (Post 7918312)
LOL! I've been to that pub .. not bad is it! I agree with you about people being friendlier ... I was in Kissimmee in August and people were really friendly.

What made it seem even more English, was when I tried to give them my cast member discount card, and they said 'sorry, we don't do CM discount here otherwise the pub would be full of pi**ed up employees':rofl:

Something you rarely get in CA is colleagues drinking together

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7918323)

Good point

When I was in San Francisco, people seemed friendlier than in LA

Scouse Express Sep 9th 2009 10:35 pm

I'm sure that you could move in right next door to Ray!

Jim.

CJames Sep 9th 2009 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by limeynus (Post 7918312)

Hi Guys,

The wife and I stayed in Kissimmee in June for our Honeymoon. We were staying in a great rental house with a pool.

Went to 'England' in Epcot for fish & chips at Harry Ramsdens with the inlaws, Delish;)

It was so nice there and so cheap compared to where the wife is from, WA State, that we really want to move there when we can live together in the US. Here in Gibraltar we live in a 1 bedroom apartment, for less than we pay here we could have a 3 bedroom house in Florida with a pool! We keep saying to each other we will get lost in a home in the US when we move!

Poppy girl Sep 9th 2009 11:36 pm

Well, kind of.

I am even sadder I was in Reno last week and would move there in a heart beat,the folk in CA are rude and unfriendly buggers, and I like Florida :thumbsup:

another bloody yank Sep 9th 2009 11:44 pm

I also went to the English pub in Epcot and nearly cried:o

That bad, eh?

Did they have real Brits working there? I think I heard that somewhere...

md95065 Sep 10th 2009 12:07 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7918508)
Did they have real Brits working there?

All "real Brits" are, by definition, still in the UK.

The ones in Florida and the US might look like "real Brits" but they aren't ...

"real Brits" do not move to the US.

helwardman Sep 10th 2009 12:34 am

I couldn't get any pork scratchings though.

Can't move for pork scratchings down here.

ukintexas Sep 10th 2009 1:33 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 7918564)
All "real Brits" are, by definition, still in the UK.

The ones in Florida and the US might look like "real Brits" but they aren't ...

"real Brits" do not move to the US.

Please tell me this is a joke, or tongue in cheek comment or I'm gonna have to drag my big ol' hefty soap box outta my closet and climb aboard.......:blink:

WARPed Sep 10th 2009 3:03 pm

When I went to said Pub in Epcot I was served by a born a bread Brit who had lived in the US with her husband for the last 8 years. So I think that she can be considered authentic, although I must say that while the fish and chips were OK I was quite disappointed by them.

Anyway. Visiting Florida and living here are totally different things. My wife was born and raised in Tallahassee FL, but lived in So. Cal. for a spell and would rather live there than in Florida if it wasn't for her family here. There are some very backwards attitudes here (livin' in the south), very, VERY poor driving (sounds like no big deal but it does get to you when someones places their impatience over the value of your life), insufferable heat/humidity for a lot of the year and it isn't always that cheap to live here. OK no state income tax, but in a recently read article that was posted on one of the threads here they said that for the first time in decades more people are leaving Fl than are coming in due increasing taxes, lower than average pay and a higher cost of living as a result of all the hurricane insurances etc.

I'm not saying FL is all bad. Far from it. Everywhere has its bad points. But research your move VERY carefully.

Sharron_ Sep 10th 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 7920268)
When I went to said Pub in Epcot I was served by a born a bread Brit who had lived in the US with her husband for the last 8 years. So I think that she can be considered authentic, although I must say that while the fish and chips were OK I was quite disappointed by them.

Anyway. Visiting Florida and living here are totally different things. My wife was born and raised in Tallahassee FL, but lived in So. Cal. for a spell and would rather live there than in Florida if it wasn't for her family here. There are some very backwards attitudes here (livin' in the south), very, VERY poor driving (sounds like no big deal but it does get to you when someones places their impatience over the value of your life), insufferable heat/humidity for a lot of the year and it isn't always that cheap to live here. OK no state income tax, but in a recently read article that was posted on one of the threads here they said that for the first time in decades more people are leaving Fl than are coming in due increasing taxes, lower than average pay and a higher cost of living as a result of all the hurricane insurances etc.

I'm not saying FL is all bad. Far from it. Everywhere has its bad points. But research your move VERY carefully.

My husband has been to Florida many times and he says the humidity is unbearable at times. I think he has also mentioned that there are lots of mosquitoes.

But can Florida really be more expensive than CA to live?