Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've got a job offer! Help!

I've got a job offer! Help!

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all
Default Re: I've got a job offer! Help!

Congratulations!

I don't know, but $90k is just about OK, but not fantastic for NY.

Can I ask what line of work you're in?

For example in my line of work (IT), i've seen NY offering an extra $20k

Compare cost of living here:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp

Dave
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses guys. So basically I'm looking to look in to:
(1). Full health/dental cover paid for by the company. I've asked about this and apparently there is cover and they want to explain to me. TBC
(2). Vacation - try to keep the same as you have now. On email they wrote "We'll let you know what vacation you're allowed".
(3). The same pension payments as in the UK. TBC
(4). The odd flight back to London. That'd be cool. Doubt it but I'll ask. TBC
(5). Time in a hotel so can find a pad plus some money towards furnishings etc. See below I think
(6) Think about Hoboken in NJ for apartments
(7) Ask if they'll sponsor me towards a green card in due course. TBC

They have written to say the options are: "90k basic or 85k basic and 5k moving allowance right away". Would it really cost me 5k to move? I've just got some clothes, a bike - well 2 actually - some books, and art stuff - drawing/painting equipment. I have a flat in the UK and will be renting it out, furnished so I won't be taking any furniture... Are NY flats typically furnished? I'm thinking of buying a buy to let in the uk before I go... should I wait and see whether I can buy a place in NY?

I've been looking around for average salaries for my role, and a site called 'indeed.com' puts it at 110k - is that site reliable? Last year, when the pound was strong my wage equivalent was 120k. Should I lose sleep over this? Just want to squeeze every last drop out of them.

OH:

Originally Posted by lisa67
"Males: 3,920,348 (47.4%)
Females: 4,354,179 (52.6%)"

More girls than guys! Whoohoo!!! Even I'll be in with a chance now!

Thanks again for your help. Fingers crossed I can get you guys a beer or 2 when I'm over there.

Jon
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

The company would usually pay to ship your stuff out there as well as give you a moving allowance. Furnished apartments are hard to find in NY and are usually corporate lets so are pretty expensive. When you move into an apartment you'll need to give one and half months rent as a deposit, the initial months rent plus buy all your furniture, electronics etc, so you'll need at least $5,000 cash when you arrive in the US.

If you can't agree on a higher salary initially try and push for a 6 month pay review.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishJon
(1). Full health/dental cover paid for by the company. I've asked about this and apparently there is cover and they want to explain to me. TBC
(2). Vacation - try to keep the same as you have now. On email they wrote "We'll let you know what vacation you're allowed".
(5). Time in a hotel so can find a pad plus some money towards furnishings etc. See below I think

They have written to say the options are: "90k basic or 85k basic and 5k moving allowance right away". Would it really cost me 5k to move? I've just got some clothes, a bike - well 2 actually - some books, and art stuff - drawing/painting equipment. I have a flat in the UK and will be renting it out, furnished so I won't be taking any furniture... Are NY flats typically furnished? I'm thinking of buying a buy to let in the uk before I go... should I wait and see whether I can buy a place in NY?

I've been looking around for average salaries for my role, and a site called 'indeed.com' puts it at 110k - is that site reliable? Last year, when the pound was strong my wage equivalent was 120k. Should I lose sleep over this? Just want to squeeze every last drop out of them.

OH:

"Males: 3,920,348 (47.4%)
Females: 4,354,179 (52.6%)"

More girls than guys! Whoohoo!!! Even I'll be in with a chance now!

Thanks again for your help. Fingers crossed I can get you guys a beer or 2 when I'm over there.

Jon
Sounds like a permanent transfer. If so they probably won't want to give you more holidays or pay than your US counterparts...they also won't be keen on paying for flights back to the UK.

Check the details of the health insurance...co-pays etc. What is the cost to you of a visit to the ER? Will it include prescriptions...if so how much is your co-pay? These costs can add up to quite a lot.

What happens if you can't settle or lose your job in NYC...will they transfer you back? If so will they pay the costs? Remember you can be fired at will in the US...so once you join the US firm you could be out the door the next day without any severance pay or healthcare.

If they agree to apply for a GC for you...get it in writing with a timeline. Remember it's in their interest for you not to have a GC because then you are free to leave their employment.

One more thing...will they pay for tax preparation for the first few years?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 7th 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take a low salary for benefits, it's the biggest con going because your pay rises will be shit and the pay lasts longer than the benefits of which are the first to take any hit, so you'd be screwed doing that.

You'll need a good wedge of cash, you might find a furnished apartment, but it'll be much more expensive, chances are it won't be, so you'll need a bed, those aren't cheap here, dinner/coffee table, crockery, cutterly, tele, a couch and some chairs, possibly a microwave, it all adds up....and getting a place, well if it's not a private rental they might need a credit check, more hassle, but you'll need first months, last months plus a deposit, usually 1-2 months worth of rent on top, considering your location, that's a fat wedge of cash right there.

You also have to factor in you having no credit history, so you might need a hefty deposit to sign a contract for a mobile phone and utilities, the cable/phone/internet, electricity, oil if that's the heating etc.

That $5K is looking really shit now isn't it?

I relocated from Maine to Mass, 4.5 hours drive and I got more than that.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And if they say yes (would it be immediate, or would they want to wait?) then find out how long you would have to wait for a green card after the process is started. Depending on the category for which you'd be eligible, it could be anywhere from 6 months to 5 years.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Well I'll be the negative one. Congrats but from your reply about your companies responses it seems like they think they have you over a barrel - as in he's a Brit and wants to come here we can get away with less of everything.

As OP have said get the Health coverage written in the blood of the CEO of your company - well paperwork will do. I'm particularly concerned about the comment they want to explain it to you. Either they are extraordinarily diligent with their employees or there is something lurking in that healthcare coverage that you are not going to like - assuming you spot it.

Ensure you know what is covered - what your payments will be each and every time you visit a doctor, whether you are responsible for prescriptions etc etc.

Other than that enjoy. I think you will have a great time. Me I still prefer London.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

This is what they've come back with:

(1). Full health/dental cover paid for by the company. "Dental, Health and Vision Insurance. We typically say employee are covered at a complete rate of 80-85% with many options to choose from."

(2). Vacation:
"10 vacation days
3 personal days- To be used for events that can not be done outside of typical working hours, i.e., doctor or dentist appointments, apartment hunting, lease signing, etc.
3 Summer Fridays- These are 3 Fridays to be taken off during the summer months. 1-June, 1-July, 1-August
19 U.S./Company Wide Holidays- Please see the attached Holiday Schedule
Total: 35 days"

(3). The odd flight back to London. No

(4). Time in a hotel so can find a pad plus some money towards furnishings etc. No - this is covered by the "relocation allowance".

(5) Ask if they'll sponsor me towards a green card in due course. Yes they are willing to do this.

(6) What if I get canned: "In the events of a company restructuring or reduction in staff, if not related to gross misconduct of performance, we do provide a severance package"

(7) Also:
"There is a long list of Additional Benefits included in offer package. To list a few:
Reduced Gym Membership Fees
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Legal Assistance
Employee Assistance Program- consulting and advice on basically any topic from work/life balance, financial planning, retirement Concerns, Family Issues, etc.
Commuter Benefits Program
Flexible Spending Accounts
We do have others besides Human Resources to assist in your move. We can speak with our Mobility Department to discuss areas of interest for you to move to and International HR to help with bank accounts, and other misc issues. Tax advice, however, is not included."

I'm feeling pretty happy about the above. I'm still a bit unsure whether the 90k / 85k + 5k moving allowance is a bit low though compared to market rates (I'm a senior digital project manager BTW), as with the exchange rates I'd have been on 120 last year. My HR department are going to try and negotiate my basic on my behalf. The US office said "you have come highly regarded and everyone here is excited for the potential to partner with you in the near future. " so there might be a bit of good will to negotiate. If they up the basic I'm IN!

Fingers crossed!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

1- That's a bit shit, but as long as there's a maximum that you pay it might not be bad, because if you got cancer or something else that is long and drawn out, 20% of millions is still a wedge of cash.

2- Check those are paid and that you get them day one rather than having to accrue them, but other wise not to bad.

4- Find out if they pay the tax on the relocation allowance or you'll be in for a surprise.

5- Get it in writing that they'll do the greencard, and when they will apply for it...it's no good if they will only do it after a couple of years for instance

6- Severance package could just mean a box to put your desk crap in, that's not an explanation, get the details in writing that they'll send your shit back to the UK because they are only responsible for putting you on a plane home not family and belongings

7- Gym thing, that's crap and you probably get that through the medical insurance
Tuition, find out the details and that you can study whatever/where ever, often it is crap, tied to a local institution or a specific course and sometimes you'd have to repay it if you leave or are sacked within x number of years.

Don't take a drop in salary for $5K in allowance because that's crap, $5K in allowance is also crap, that wouldn't cover your deposit never mind shipping over the odd bits and pieces and sorting out a car (the extras like cost of drivers license, taking test, registering, plating and inspecting car etc), white goods and furniture.

And not providing someone to do your taxes for the first and last year in the US is also a tad shit.

(1). Full health/dental cover paid for by the company. "Dental, Health and Vision Insurance. We typically say employee are covered at a complete rate of 80-85% with many options to choose from."

(2). Vacation:
"10 vacation days
3 personal days- To be used for events that can not be done outside of typical working hours, i.e., doctor or dentist appointments, apartment hunting, lease signing, etc.
3 Summer Fridays- These are 3 Fridays to be taken off during the summer months. 1-June, 1-July, 1-August

(4). Time in a hotel so can find a pad plus some money towards furnishings etc. No - this is covered by the "relocation allowance".

(5) Ask if they'll sponsor me towards a green card in due course. Yes they are willing to do this.

(6) What if I get canned: "In the events of a company restructuring or reduction in staff, if not related to gross misconduct of performance, we do provide a severance package"

(7) Also:
"There is a long list of Additional Benefits included in offer package. To list a few:
Legal Assistance
Employee Assistance Program- consulting and advice on basically any topic from work/life balance, financial planning, retirement Concerns, Family Issues, etc.
We do have others besides Human Resources to assist in your move. We can speak with our Mobility Department to discuss areas of interest for you to move to and International HR to help with bank accounts, and other misc issues. Tax advice, however, is not included."

I'm feeling pretty happy about the above. I'm still a bit unsure whether the 90k / 85k + 5k moving allowance is a bit low though compared to market rates (I'm a senior digital project manager BTW), as with the exchange rates I'd have been on 120 last year. My HR department are going to try and negotiate my basic on my behalf. The US office said "you have come highly regarded and everyone here is excited for the potential to partner with you in the near future. " so there might be a bit of good will to negotiate. If they up the basic I'm IN!

Fingers crossed!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:42 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

This is what they've come back with:

(2). Vacation:
"10 vacation days

(7) Also:
Legal Assistance

Fingers crossed!!!
Try to get them to cover the costs of your flights out there if they havent said they'f do that already. Get EVERYTHING in wirting esp the greencard bit, and see if they'll source you somewhere to stay for at least the 2 weeks you are there til you can find somewhere to rent.

As for the "relocation allowance", we got $7500 on top of 2 business class relocation flights, accomodation and utilities for the first month, relators fees up to 15% of first years rent, 40ft container for shipping and packing / unpacking serrvice, transport of 2 cats, and tax advice (accountant) for the first year.. so I think you should try and get a bit more out of them!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:54 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Jon
Furnish your flat at Ikea to start. Take the dimensions of your place before you go and they can help you from there. My friends daughter just got out of school and only makes 60K. She rented a little moving van and went to Ikea to furnish her 600 square foot place ($1500).
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

What kind of industry are you in? I'm in advertising and am thinking we're the only ones getting shafted! If I was being displaced ie "we REALLY need you over here" then the situation would be different, but as I enquired about roles in the New York office a long time ago then its more of a "yeah ok ok, you can come over" hence the bens / allowances are standard / crap.

I know what you're saying that I should get more out of them, and I agree, I just don't want to rock the boat so much they tell me to p*ss off. I really want to take this chance and see what happens. If I'm in a slightly better financial situation as I am in London with good prospects then it'd be cool with me, just for the life experience. I can always come back to London - I've got a nice flat here.

I really appreciate your advice (s) though so thanks a lot. I've learned a lot pretty quickly here.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:09 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

What kind of industry are you in?
OH is in IT management for International Investment bank (and hopefully still will be at the end of the week!)

I know what you're saying that I should get more out of them, and I agree, I just don't want to rock the boat so much they tell me to p*ss off.
I get where you are coming from, but realistically, your $5000 probably isnt even going to cover the cost of securing a rental for the first month! (when taking into consideration youll prob need 2 months rent deposit and one months upfront. Try and get equiv of 3 months rent to help you out to start with, at least. Even with our 7500 our home still looks like an Ikea showroom!

They are paying for your flight though right?

I really want to take this chance and see what happens. If I'm in a slightly better financial situation as I am in London with good prospects then it'd be cool with me, just for the life experience.
It is a great opportunity, but you wont want to make a go of it for long if they have screwed you over to the point you are eating ramen noodles in your apt every night cos you are broke, and not having a good time. Just try them out and see if they can help you out a bit more.

Good luck, and hope it all works out.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I'm also going through an L-1 at the moment and was worried about what they were going to offer me, but I asked myself, If they turned around tomorrow and said we've changed our minds, how would I feel? I thought what the hell, I will still get a better standard of living with whatever they offer me.

Like you, if I don't like it, Ill just come back. If you notice the number of posts here asking "how do we move to the US"! You're in a privileged position, so bargain hard and maybe a senior person in HR in the UK can help negotiate on your behalf?

Look at job postings in the USA for jobs similar to yours. Check the NYtimes, monster.com etc.

I found glassdoor.com very useful for salaries also.

Good Luck.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe create a spreadsheet of all your anticipated costs, rental, deposit, car rental, furnishings etc and then go back to them and say, the $5k doesn't cover any of this. Remember, you have to buy all your electrical items again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.