Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've got a job offer! Help!

I've got a job offer! Help!

Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishJon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've got a job offer! Help!

Hi all. My US Office has offered me a position - by way of an intercompany transfer L1 visa - in the New York office A dream for me!!! I'm asking about living costs in NY compared to London (rent, food, travel etc) to see how far my salary will go and whether the offer is a good one or a cheeky one, as they are telling me the offer is very good.

I'm single, early 30s currently on 50k in London. The offer is $90k. How would living on $90k in NY compare to living on £50k in London assuming my lifestyle was the same: buying clothes, music, books each month, and going out a couple of times a week and maybe save a bit? Would I be better off or about the same? Or worse?

Where could I afford to live as a single bloke? Could I rent in Manhattan or is that silly money?

Any advice very much appreciated - or pointers where to find the info. I'm totally clueless about NY costs, just really excited about this opportunity. Always wanted to work overseas and NY is no.1 on the list!

Thanks a lot for any help offered
Jon
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:11 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I've got a job offer! Help!

Cant help you with much other than check out http://newyork.craigslist.org/ for rental prices in and around New York, and www.salary.com (free salary checker for the job title and area youll be working in.. youll need the zipcocde of the office)

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; Jan 6th 2009 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishJon
Hi all. My US Office has offered me a position - by way of an intercompany transfer L1 visa - in the New York office A dream for me!!! I'm asking about living costs in NY compared to London (rent, food, travel etc) to see how far my salary will go and whether the offer is a good one or a cheeky one, as they are telling me the offer is very good.

I'm single, early 30s currently on 50k in London. The offer is $90k. How would living on $90k in NY compare to living on £50k in London assuming my lifestyle was the same: buying clothes, music, books each month, and going out a couple of times a week and maybe save a bit? Would I be better off or about the same? Or worse?

Where could I afford to live as a single bloke? Could I rent in Manhattan or is that silly money?

Any advice very much appreciated - or pointers where to find the info. I'm totally clueless about NY costs, just really excited about this opportunity. Always wanted to work overseas and NY is no.1 on the list!

Jon
This subject has been discussed several times. Use the search facility located in the pink bar at the top of the page to search the US forums for the old threads. Give me a shout if you can't find them...good luck.

Actually it's just been on my local news that landlords are reducing the rents in NYC.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.city-data.com
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

You should be OK on $90k in NYC. You won't be loaded but you can have a decent living. NYC itself is expensive for decent areas and the apartments are small. Try looking at Hoboken in NJ for apartments. It's directly across the river and is a lively young town with lot of bars/restaurants and a good size expat community. The PATH train into the city only takes 10 minutes.

A decent one bed apartment will cost you around $1800 - $2200 and you won't need a car so other costs will be limited. Try and make sure heat and hot water is included in the rent as that can get expensive in the winter. Your relocation package should include a hotel for first month or so until you find an apartment as well as a few thousand $'s to cover other expenses.

look at hoboken411.com and hobokeni.com for more info as well as craigslist.

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on your lifestyle don't it...

You fancy a nice car or using public transport? Eating out every day? In a nice place everyday? Looking for a flat share or a house? How far are you willing to commute? What kind of crap do you want to do for fun?

Cost of living isn't cheaper here though, somethings might be, decent clothes and groceries certainly aren't, sure you can get cheap, but it'll be crap, proper crap quality etc.

Quite a few recent threads on NY worth reading, as well as other threads on relocation.

See what they are offering for holiday allowance, does this include public holidays and sick time? and definitely the small print for the health insurance, sure they'll offer it, but what's covered, how much do you pay a month, how much co-pay for the doctor, deductibles, prescription costs, eyeballs and dental?

They going to repatriate you if you don't like it or get canned? etc, etc.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Off2NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

Could I rent in Manhattan or is that silly money?
Yes you could. I pay $1850 for a one bed apartment in Manhattan and know other Brits who pay the same.

I got transferred over here from London in April last year and you will be fine on $90k, as long as you don't go mad. If you come over then you will have a great time.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all. My US Office has offered me a position - by way of an intercompany transfer L1 visa - in the New York office A dream for me!!!
Is this intended to be permanent? If so, is there a plan to get a green card? Will they sponsor and if so, what's the timescale (can you get first preference green card?)

This wiki article is Australia-centric but should give you an idea for what to look out for. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:50 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

$90K will be OK - rent will be expensive, so will beers and car insurance - petrol, clothes and many consumer items will be cheaper (exchange rate might be changing this).

Make sure, very sure, that you get:

(a). Full health/dental cover paid for by the company - a single person cover is a round $500 pcm.

(b). Vacation - try to keep the same as you have now, many places will be significantly less.

(c). The same pension payments you were getting in the UK - companies often pay jack-all into the 401k in the US.

(d). Try and get the odd flight back to blighty.

(e). Try and get some time in a hotel so can find a pad plus some money towards furnishings etc.

Good luck - not many people get the opportunity so I would pull their arm off.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I am no tax expert and not sure of how it will change by you having a L visa.

Please factor in the NY city tax when you decide where to live. That can be a killer.

Path costs around 60$ to get to Manhattan (correct me if I am wrong). So may be ok to live in NJ ?

Just a suggestion based on research...
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Do it.

If you live on £50k in London you can live on $90k in NY, easy. Ignore the nonsense about NYC city tax, it's no worse than council tax. Your overall taxes will be less in the US than in the UK, (when you take into account income taxes, VAT, council tax, tv license, car tax, petrol tax, booze tax, etc.)

I also agree with the advice given above on negotiating for GC sponsorship, flights for visits back home, longer vacation etc. all ahead of time, assuming you feel you are in a decent position to negotiate.

Oh, and beer might be a little more expensive, but mixed drinks are way stronger for the same money, so if you need to drown your sorrows...
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Jon
And congratulations by the way!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Yes, congratulations on the job!

Someone mentioned Hoboken - I'd have been keen on Hoboken myself if I were in your situation (single, no kids etc) - I try to relate different areras of NY to London - in my mind I see Hoboken as equivalent to battersea....

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
expensive, so will beers
No kidding... was there in Dec... $9 a pint!?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
...Your overall taxes will be less in the US than in the UK, (when you take into account income taxes, VAT, council tax, tv license, car tax, petrol tax, booze tax, etc.)....
Probably more on par, plenty of hidden taxes around here and you might as well count medical insurance as a tax, add what your employer has to pay on top of what you pay etc.

Definitely worth doing if you get the visa without doubt, just don't jump in lightly without knowing what you might face or that'll add a dampener on the experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.