Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've been offered an unpaid internship in US - Can I get a visa?

I've been offered an unpaid internship in US - Can I get a visa?

Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been offered an unpaid internship in US - Can I get a visa?

Originally Posted by vladokluna
I was wondering if anyone knows if I could find another job once I am there, for example, in a bar or a restaurant just for the weekends, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to support myself.
You can't work for anyone other than your J-1 sponsor.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible in the US as well?
It is not.

I will be going to LA btw.
I don't think you will be - considering you need be able to support yourself with whatever savings you already have... because you can't work for anyone else while on the J-1.

If you choose to work illegally, that's your decision... but no one here will tell you that it's okay to do so.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The J1 visa only allows you to do the internships and not any other job. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could find another job once I am there...
You just said yourself that the J-1 visa only allows you to do the internship and not any other job. So why is your next sentence asking about finding a second job? You seem to know the answer already.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible in the US as well?
Of course it's possible to work illegally in the USA. But do you really want to do that??

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

vladokluna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You just said yourself that the J-1 visa only allows you to do the internship and not any other job. So why is your next sentence asking about finding a second job? You seem to know the answer already.

Of course it's possible to work illegally in the USA. But do you really want to do that??

Rene
Thank you for the answer, I have no idea how things are in the USA, that's why I was asking. As I mentioned in some countries working in the weekends as an extra is not a big deal and is not looked bad, it helps students to pay for their expenses, but as I see it's not the case. Regards.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the answer, I have no idea how things are in the USA, that's why I was asking. As I mentioned in some countries working in the weekends as an extra is not a big deal and is not looked bad, it helps students to pay for their expenses, but as I see it's not the case. Regards.
Those other countries most likely participate in the Workers Holiday Visa scheme, which allow those folks to do that.

The USA does not.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Can I also stress that in LA, while people do work 'under the table', so to speak, you can forget about a glamorous bar or waitressing job.

Things are different here. Bar jobs are considered, in general, to be very good jobs. You need to be networked and patient to get one.

If you are extremely attractive you might have a chance at scoring a gig as a host/hostess. If you are lucky. But the money will be crap.

Remember that in Southern California there is a LEGION of illegal workers so your chance of finding quality 'under the table' work is pretty slim IMO.

Moral of the story is it's just not worth it. If you can't support yourself here in LA, go somewhere else that you can. Vancouver is very nice.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

dearbarbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Rosie, I just posted a question about the same visa actually. How did you get on?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Ro5ie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dearbarbie
Rosie, I just posted a question about the same visa actually. How did you get on?
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest I felt so miserable about the whole situation that I have not gone much further in finding a solution. I am currently trying to compose an email to my prospective intern-host in the US.

As far as I can see there are three options:

Enter on the VWP and volunteer - However, as others have pointed out, it is 'not ok' to work in a way that generates revenue for the company/charity. If you do then it is a risk, and I think the consequences could be severe. I'm 26 and don't want to be told I can't enter the US again.

Apply for a J1 Visa for interns. The problem seems to be that your host must be approved by the US government in order to host you. However, with regards to the messages on this forum saying you can not work I have found a clause saying you can complete paid work outside your internship if it is organised by your intern-host and it is relevant to your development and training. I'm not sure how this would be approved.

The other option is to find paid work and a company that will support a visa application for paid work. If this is accepted I understand that you can complete an internship alongside this without an additional visa.

Good luck with your visa research/application. It looks like I may well be grounded
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ro5ie
Hi,

Apply for a J1 Visa for interns. The problem seems to be that your host must be approved by the US government in order to host you. However, with regards to the messages on this forum saying you can not work I have found a clause saying you can complete paid work outside your internship if it is organised by your intern-host and it is relevant to your development and training. I'm not sure how this would be approved.

Sorry to hear it's getting you down. Are you in the UK? If so and have some savings, I reckon this is your best bet.

I'm going to work for an events website and my internship is unpaid. However, my Visa will be organised by BUNAC (and they are my sponsor, at a cost though)...it means my host organisation doesn't have to pay for anything. All they do is liaise with BUNAC to provide a training plan etc.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

I am currently working in France but I am a UK national, and my visa application would be made in the UK.

Are you still a student? And was your placement found through BUNAC? I am no longer a student and I understand that BUNAC can only provide placements of this type for students in America.

I will also be going from a well-paid role to paying money to work (for visa, flights, 3 months living expenses, etc) because I would be unable to take the additional paid work offered to me in the US through the J1 Visa. I do have savings but they are hard found. I have completed similiar work but paid in the UK, but it just seemed like such a fun opportunity.

Good Luck with your internship and visa application
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ro5ie
Are you still a student? And was your placement found through BUNAC? I am no longer a student and I understand that BUNAC can only provide placements of this type for students in America.

I will also be going from a well-paid role to paying money to work (for visa, flights, 3 months living expenses, etc) because I would be unable to take the additional paid work offered to me in the US through the J1 Visa. I do have savings but they are hard found. I have completed similiar work but paid in the UK, but it just seemed like such a fun opportunity.

Good Luck with your internship and visa application
Nope, I'm a 30 year-old graduate who left uni in 2004 I work for an international company in pharma but the internship is in music/events (I have work experience in this through my hobby which should get me my visa), and I will be living from savings. Any way you can save up? Feel free to PM me if it's easier
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I will do :-)