Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:54 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Thanks again everyone, i must force myself to go down there to take it tomorrow. I was told by someone at work not to go to Plano Dps because they are one of the only ones who bother to have the driving test taken, most others dont even do that. Is this right? Anyway whats the worry if i fail i just go back and take it again!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Originally Posted by Thackattack
... Anyway whats the worry if i fail i just go back and take it again!
If you fail, you'll be the butt of everyone's joke...forever

Only thing to look out for, is stopping at the stop sign, then creaping to the white line and stopping again, and not speeding...that's presuming the test is long enough for either of those situations to be a problem
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:56 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

hahaha, yeah i heard about the creeping to the stop sign thing, and the hands shou;ld be 10 to 2 right? on the steering wheel.
I better get down there.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha, yeah i heard about the creeping to the stop sign thing, and the hands shou;ld be 10 to 2 right? on the steering wheel.
I better get down there.
aye, 10-2...but then again, they don't mind you crossing your arms over to steer either, so it probably isn't a big thing...
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you fail, you'll be the butt of everyone's joke...forever

Only thing to look out for, is stopping at the stop sign, then creaping to the white line and stopping again, and not speeding...that's presuming the test is long enough for either of those situations to be a problem
Another thing to look out for is abandoned shopping trollies - if the test is anything like round here, all you'll do is pootle round the parking lot of a strip mall!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:45 am
Essex boy in Texas

Okay, here is how it went:

Got there at 10:15 am, the lady at the desk ahead of the 15 long queue seemed a little annoyed, especially at the two oriental gentlemen whom one of was trying to snatch the pen out of her hand as she repeatedly pulled it away. When i got there 5 minutes later, which was good i thought, i put on some charm and a bug smile, it worked and i asked her if i had all the information to take a driving test today. She smniled and said yes but i asked her not to print me out a number yet as i needed to go get my cheque book or some cash, as they dint take credit cards. She said to me not to queue again and come right to the desk. I did so once i had my cheque book and my number was called about 2 minutes after she gave it to me.

I went around the corner to desk number one where a man started dealing with all the paperwork. At first he was stern yet polite, but i soon eased him up some more. he was off to lunch so he told me to go to screen 8 for my test and come back to the lady next to him for the results. I had not studied at all and thought i was going to make a laughing stock of myself. The first two questions were test questions. One was my date of birth and the other, my name. I got those right so i thought that was a good start! I found the next 30 questions fairly easy, the ones i got wrong wwas because i was picking ofer-cautious answers when i didnt know them. I think i JUST passed with 70%. I went to the desk and the young lady asked me if i would like to take the driving aprt of the test that day. She said it was rare but they had some spots left. I took the spot at Midday.

I was trying to prepare myself for the test, just like it was a Uk driving test, and if you know what they are like, then you will know i was nervous! There were 4 cars in the line where they told me to park and this nice lady came over to me. Theyu did the check on the outside of the car for safety, and ofcourse when she asked for the left signal to be turned on, i did the right. great start. The first thing we did was to parrallel park, i hadnt done this for a year, you NEVER need to parrallel park in Texas. I did it and manouvered around a bit until i was happy. I was WAY off and she said it was no big deal. I told her i hadnt done those for a while and she said "hey, if i dont tell you to pull over and get out of the car, then you will be fine". it was ncie to hear. We drove around some very empty residential streets for maybe 10 minutes tops. She asked me to stop and reverse and i did, then she asked me to go forward and i did, as i was accellerating she told me to come to a stop. I did, but it was no emergency stop at all! No where near. We drove back to the DMV and i thought i had failed because we got back there so quick. Then i really thought i had failed because she started telling me what i was doing wrong, not going fast enough when turning, etc. Then she said "well you passed" and io was well chuffed. I told her she made it a very pleasant experience and she seemed to like the compliment. I went in, spoke to the guy and girl who dealt with me earlier and the guy couldnt beleive i had taken the driving test so soon after the written one, he seemed to think it was unheard of and that i got very lucky, i think i did too. I did my picture and got my temporary licence, and the drive back home was one of a much more relaxed me, exactly one year since i arrived to live in Texas.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me advice and pointers and HOPE! I very much appreciate it. WOO HOO!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:42 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

And Texas gains another super-highly-qualified-and-oh-so-proficient driver!

Too slow on the corners, eh? Better not get me behind you, mate! I'll be the Volvo with the Union Jack front plate that's leaning on his horn and gesticulating with two very British fingers!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here is how it went:

Got there at 10:15 am, the lady at the desk ahead of the 15 long queue seemed a little annoyed, especially at the two oriental gentlemen whom one of was trying to snatch the pen out of her hand as she repeatedly pulled it away. When i got there 5 minutes later, which was good i thought, i put on some charm and a bug smile, it worked and i asked her if i had all the information to take a driving test today. She smniled and said yes but i asked her not to print me out a number yet as i needed to go get my cheque book or some cash, as they dint take credit cards. She said to me not to queue again and come right to the desk. I did so once i had my cheque book and my number was called about 2 minutes after she gave it to me.

I went around the corner to desk number one where a man started dealing with all the paperwork. At first he was stern yet polite, but i soon eased him up some more. he was off to lunch so he told me to go to screen 8 for my test and come back to the lady next to him for the results. I had not studied at all and thought i was going to make a laughing stock of myself. The first two questions were test questions. One was my date of birth and the other, my name. I got those right so i thought that was a good start! I found the next 30 questions fairly easy, the ones i got wrong wwas because i was picking ofer-cautious answers when i didnt know them. I think i JUST passed with 70%. I went to the desk and the young lady asked me if i would like to take the driving aprt of the test that day. She said it was rare but they had some spots left. I took the spot at Midday.

I was trying to prepare myself for the test, just like it was a Uk driving test, and if you know what they are like, then you will know i was nervous! There were 4 cars in the line where they told me to park and this nice lady came over to me. Theyu did the check on the outside of the car for safety, and ofcourse when she asked for the left signal to be turned on, i did the right. great start. The first thing we did was to parrallel park, i hadnt done this for a year, you NEVER need to parrallel park in Texas. I did it and manouvered around a bit until i was happy. I was WAY off and she said it was no big deal. I told her i hadnt done those for a while and she said "hey, if i dont tell you to pull over and get out of the car, then you will be fine". it was ncie to hear. We drove around some very empty residential streets for maybe 10 minutes tops. She asked me to stop and reverse and i did, then she asked me to go forward and i did, as i was accellerating she told me to come to a stop. I did, but it was no emergency stop at all! No where near. We drove back to the DMV and i thought i had failed because we got back there so quick. Then i really thought i had failed because she started telling me what i was doing wrong, not going fast enough when turning, etc. Then she said "well you passed" and io was well chuffed. I told her she made it a very pleasant experience and she seemed to like the compliment. I went in, spoke to the guy and girl who dealt with me earlier and the guy couldnt beleive i had taken the driving test so soon after the written one, he seemed to think it was unheard of and that i got very lucky, i think i did too. I did my picture and got my temporary licence, and the drive back home was one of a much more relaxed me, exactly one year since i arrived to live in Texas.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me advice and pointers and HOPE! I very much appreciate it. WOO HOO!
Congratulations!!!

Man, your test was way harder than mine. I didn't have to bother with reversing or parallel parking - bloody good job too, watching me trying to parallel park the minivan is pure comedy gold
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:42 am
Essex boy in Texas

haha really? i am surpsied it could have any easier, but i must admit, i am glad ive got it over and done with.

I am a bit of a crapo driver, the wife is always taking the mickey, i drive a black saturn with a union jack/stars and stripes sticker on the back, feel free to gimme the fingers anytime. haha.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:36 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.. that's one thing out of the way.. I need to schedule an appointment for mine too, I tried last week but I was told that I needed my marriage certificate..
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:47 pm
Essex boy in Texas

lly gotten worse since getting the license due to not being too concerned about being pulled over. Still havent seen that volvo!!!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:57 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

lly gotten worse since getting the license due to not being too concerned about being pulled over. Still havent seen that volvo!!!

I went back to the driving place yesterday.. I was told that the whole State of Colorado is being sued and they are not allowed to issue new licenses at all for the time being.. Just my luck..
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:46 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Seriously? You should ask to be issued a temporary permit or a leteer stating that they cannot issue you a licence at this time, incase you get stopped.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:08 pm

Seriously? You should ask to be issued a temporary permit or a leteer stating that they cannot issue you a licence at this time, incase you get stopped.
That only went on for a few days, I already took my written test. The questions are just ridiculous and I just couldn't believe some of the staff in the booklet they give you to read like " Don't drive your car without brakes".. I also noticed that a little while before I left the place one of the employees was telling a bunch of guys that they were about to close "so the were only gonna be given one chance to pass the test that day" It looks like you can just spend the day taking tests until you pass and you are allowed 5 mistakes in 20 questions, it's just a joke..

I asked about the motorbike license and they gave me another leaflet to read but they were closing so I'll have to go back and take the test another day.. I'll also need a kind soul to lend me his/her motorbike..
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:40 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Nice one, I went to the DPS on S.Congress yesterday. I filled out the paperwork and then realised i was number 105 and they were at 26.... after an hour they were at 37 ! So I went to buy groceries, went home, fed the fish and cat, did some work and got back there 3 hours later.... they were at 107 ! grrrrrr....

I would have made it too if some idiot in a Volvo hadn't cut me up !

Rich./

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.