British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I've Arrived (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ive-arrived-502297/)

Jmaster911 Dec 29th 2007 11:16 pm

I've Arrived

Well I'm finally here in the US, the road has been long and time will tell if its been worth it but I have high hopes. Leaving was hard and even more strange was landing in Philli when I suddenly got this huge wave of "Holy s**t, I'm not here on holiday this time" feelings.

Immigration was painless, although a couple of things did make me smile.

1) The guy we initially saw looked at me strange when I handed him my Visa and Brown envelope, he actually said "Whats the envelope for !!!". Why do I get the feeling sometimes that I know more about immigration than the immigration officers.

2) When they were going through the brown envelope in secondary processing, they laughed that my medical had been marked down for having heart burn !!!

Anyway, we arrive in Dallas on new years day....thanks for the help so far.

basementwaj Dec 29th 2007 11:23 pm

Re: I've Arrived

Welcome to the US, i hope it goes as well as you have planned.... It all starts here:thumbup:

Xebedee Dec 29th 2007 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 5717482)
Welcome to the US, i hope it goes as well as you have planned.... It all starts here:thumbup:

Define "it" :p

Actually, its nice to read the enthusiasm of a new arrival. Sort of forgotten the feeling of "not being here on vacation". That was odd indeed. ;)

basementwaj Dec 29th 2007 11:52 pm

yeah, add SH infront of IT....

I agree, although i kinda feel like i am still on holiday as i work for myself and am home 99% of the time in my own bubble.. i could be living anywhere! Its almost dissapointing when i realise i live in America and the 'new car smell' vanished without me even smelling it.... if you know what i mean....

My advice for any newbie, savor every minute, experience and encounter... you will only have first experiences once!

BTW, enjoy your first NHL, NFL, Baseball, College sports games...... i enjoyed them all but the NHL ROCKED... Go Predators!:thumbsup:

britex01 Dec 30th 2007 12:07 am

Well, you did it... You landed ... :D ....

Here's to a new start in new surroundings in a new year. Hope all goes well ...;)

----

another bloody yank Dec 30th 2007 4:19 am

Welcome to the States!

anabella Dec 30th 2007 4:34 am

So you are here now :) .. Welcome and good luck!

dbj1000 Dec 30th 2007 4:52 am

Welcome, and good luck.

Looks like we've got a cold front coming in tomorrow, in your honour! :D

penguinsix Dec 30th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 5717458)

1) The guy we initially saw looked at me strange when I handed him my Visa and Brown envelope, he actually said "Whats the envelope for !!!". Why do I get the feeling sometimes that I know more about immigration than the immigration officers.

2) When they were going through the brown envelope in secondary processing, they laughed that my medical had been marked down for having heart burn !!!

At some border crossings they have a separate line for 'new immigrants' as compared to the 95% tourist lines. Guy might have been filling in at a different booth.

And remember, it is was Philly, land of the cheesesteak. People around there think heartburn is normal.

mayhemuk Dec 30th 2007 9:33 pm

Top banana. It's good to arrive. It gets even better as your other bits of paper arrive (SSN, Drivers License, Real I551)
I found POE pretty smooth aswell. Though rather than queue and get sent somewhere else I asked a official and he directed me to a desk way over from the normal ones where they seem to do them regularly.

Did they ask/keep your chest X\Ray? I was given mine back. All that care in not wrecking it and he didn't even look at it.

Good luck for 2008!

Jmaster911 Dec 30th 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5720784)
Top banana. It's good to arrive. It gets even better as your other bits of paper arrive (SSN, Drivers License, Real I551)
I found POE pretty smooth aswell. Though rather than queue and get sent somewhere else I asked a official and he directed me to a desk way over from the normal ones where they seem to do them regularly.

Did they ask/keep your chest X\Ray? I was given mine back. All that care in not wrecking it and he didn't even look at it.

Good luck for 2008!

They never asked for my x-ray, which wa a good job cause I had packed it in my main luggage!!

Thanks for all the welcomes.

veryfunny Dec 31st 2007 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 5717458)
Well I'm finally here in the US, the road has been long and time will tell if its been worth it but I have high hopes. Leaving was hard and even more strange was landing in Philli when I suddenly got this huge wave of "Holy s**t, I'm not here on holiday this time" feelings.

Anyway, we arrive in Dallas on new years day....thanks for the help so far.

WElcome:thumbsup::thumbup:

frrussre Dec 31st 2007 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 5720904)
They never asked for my x-ray, which wa a good job cause I had packed it in my main luggage!!

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Welcome to the USA. I think the x ray is a trick, never heard of anyone they took it from, or even checked it.
Good luck.
Frank R.

Texas Mom Dec 31st 2007 2:26 am

Welcome to the States, best wishes for 2008 and your new life :thumbup: