Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's still Christmas, apparently

It's still Christmas, apparently

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's still Christmas, apparently

In my neighbourhood at least 50% of the houses still have their Christmas lights up and blazing away, complete with Santas, reindeer etc. Some of my neighbours still have their Christmas trees still up inside. Is this normal here? I always thought it was bad luck to keep it all up after Jan 6th.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:56 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: It's still Christmas, apparently

Originally Posted by elfman
In my neighbourhood at least 50% of the houses still have their Christmas lights up and blazing away, complete with Santas, reindeer etc. Some of my neighbours still have their Christmas trees still up inside. Is this normal here? I always thought it was bad luck to keep it all up after Jan 6th.
Only bad luck if you're Catholic, Elf. The have some special celebration on the 6th, I think.
Don't tell anyone, but my tree is still up too. Hubby was just able to make it over for a visit this week, so we kept it up to celebrate with him. I DO need to take it down soon though.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:00 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Only bad luck if you're Catholic, Elf. The have some special celebration on the 6th, I think.
Don't tell anyone, but my tree is still up too. Hubby was just able to make it over for a visit this week, so we kept it up to celebrate with him. I DO need to take it down soon though.
No 6th Jan is Epiphany for the proddy religions too. I asked my hubby about the fact that people keep their decorations up longer - he said they don't have the 'bad luck' thing over here and people just take them down when they feel like it.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:04 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SarahUK
No 6th Jan is Epiphany for the proddy religions too. I asked my hubby about the fact that people keep their decorations up longer - he said they don't have the 'bad luck' thing over here and people just take them down when they feel like it.
Ok, just thought it was a Catholic thing because our old neighbors, who were Catholic, made a big deal about the Eppiphany on the 6th. I was raised Baptist and never heard of it until my neighbor mentioned it.
Sorry for the misinformation, Sarah.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:07 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough...

Heard an advert on one of the local radio stations.
Was a public announcement from the City but if you were not listening close enough you could have sworn it was just another ad for a "ve-hi-cul" or something.

Any-way.....

It was a warning from the City to anyone who still had their lights up that they had to remove them by suchandsuch date or there will be trubble for them. They made clear in no uncertain terms that the authorities would come down hard on anyone that had all the lights still outside.
But as mentioned it was done in a same style as all the other ads.
The way they it was worded left you in no doubt of the threat though. In the same vein as one about terrorism.
The makers of the commercial must be a branch of the dept of homeland security.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
It's not at all unusual to see houses around my part of NC, and up into SW Virginia where I lived before, to see houses with their icicle lights up year-round. They just are't turned on between mid January and Thanksgiving.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

If youre lucky they'll take them down to make room for Valentines decs ... if not they'll be up till the winter is over. I've seen houses in N.Michigan with Christmas , Valentine and St.Pats decs up all at the same time.
Brightens the place up if nothing else

Jan
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:34 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going to a Superbowl party at a friend's last year and they still had their full decs up.

Mine went down the day after New Year's Day but lots of my neighbours still have them up. My husband is pissed off with me driving round and giving him "They've still got their decs up" reports.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:31 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie

They made clear in no uncertain terms that the authorities would come down hard on anyone that had all the lights still outside.
Are we talking jail time?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of places still have 'em up, mainly because there frozen to the ground...this year was pretty mild, so a lot of places removed them early, but there's still lots of places with lights...
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking jail time?
Probably a fine
They have stuff like that in GR too... not with xmas lights but here you are not allowed to park on your front yard (lawn) or park a commercial vehicle out the front of your property... they do enforce this too... our neighbour got a warning letter (for a fine) if she did remove her car... hubby uses magnetic flags to cover the logo on his company vehicle.

To the OP... our company is holding their christmas party on Jan 23rd.

Ash
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Ours came down on the 6th...bad luck to keep them up after 12th night - and we were the last ones to take them down in our subdivision.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We still have two tree's on the patio. Not decorated, but I just haven't had chance to get rid of them. I may just leave them out until june/july when the heat will kill them.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:04 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

As a opposite observation on boxing day I went out and saw numerous trees outside peoples houses waiting for the garbage truck
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Where I used to live on the left coast there was a big ol' doobie-clutching animated Santa with the words 'Joy to the World' on one guy's roof. It was running year-round. Thing must have been a good 20 feet tall...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.