British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   It's Shrove Tuesday - who is having pancakes tonight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/its-shrove-tuesday-who-having-pancakes-tonight-358231/)

Englishmum Feb 28th 2006 9:13 pm

It's Shrove Tuesday - who is having pancakes tonight?

I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about pancakes as it is Shrove Tuesday today (although more commonly known here as 'Fat Tuesday' or 'Mardi Gras'.

I was going to buy some eggs but the supermarket didn't have any 'cage free' cartons so I didn't buy any and of course you need an egg to make pancakes.

Oh well....I'm the only one in our house who was interested in eating them today anyway.... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be seeing a lot of people tomorrow with those 'ash' marks on their foreheads....there is a RC church a couple of blocks from our house and there is always a long line of traffic leading to their car park so they can go to mass early in the day.

Shahlax Feb 28th 2006 9:17 pm

Re: It's Shrove Tuesday - who is having pancakes tonight?

My husband is away on business so I may make some for myself! Not out of a packet, of course!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about pancakes as it is Shrove Tuesday today (although more commonly known here as 'Fat Tuesday' or 'Mardi Gras'.

I was going to buy some eggs but the supermarket didn't have any 'cage free' cartons so I didn't buy any and of course you need an egg to make pancakes.

Oh well....I'm the only one in our house who was interested in eating them today anyway.... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be seeing a lot of people tomorrow with those 'ash' marks on their foreheads....there is a RC church a couple of blocks from our house and there is always a long line of traffic leading to their car park so they can go to mass early in the day.

TouristTrap Feb 28th 2006 9:18 pm

What is with the pancakes on this particular day?

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
What is with the pancakes on this particular day?

Use up all your ingredients before lent the time of fasting (if you're a catholic - don't think jews, hindus, muslims, etc bother with it too much)

TouristTrap Feb 28th 2006 9:27 pm

Ah, fanks.

Big D Feb 28th 2006 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Use up all your ingredients before lent the time of fasting (if you're a catholic - don't think jews, hindus, muslims, etc bother with it too much)

which is the same reason as is behind fat tuesday, which as noted is the translation of the french inspired mardi gras.

have to share this - colleague thought mardi gras was a soley gay event and that i was calling it fag tuesday!!!

woodsey Feb 28th 2006 9:38 pm

I will be having a couple, my daughter gets more excited about pancake day than christmas.. :confused: I was hoping she'd forget but oh no..I remember one year when she was about 6, she ate 13 of them. :eek: I think I was standing over the cooker for about 2 bloody hours. :mad:

Eskimo Feb 28th 2006 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
I I think I was standing over the cooker for about 2 bloody hours. :mad:

were you lost :confused:

robskatie Feb 28th 2006 9:42 pm

Didn't realise it was today, usually have some, don't think I've got any lemons, can't eat them without lemons!

woodsey Feb 28th 2006 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
were you lost :confused:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bob Feb 28th 2006 9:46 pm

too lazy to bother..though if someone else made some nice little jobbies :D

USBound Feb 28th 2006 9:55 pm

denny's supply my family with the only pancakes we'll be eating.

anotherlimey Feb 28th 2006 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by USBound
denny's supply my family with the only pancakes we'll be eating.

Urghhh IMO Denny's = nasty rubber pancakes

britvic Feb 28th 2006 9:57 pm

We've just had ours, now I do feel a bit sick, not so much tossing tonight though with the old man away ;)

Jaxbar Feb 28th 2006 10:00 pm

Dare I ask in a similar vein, is anyone giving anything up for Lent?
I do sometimes although its usually linked to diet, gave up alcohol last year and a few before but six and a half weeks without a drink this year dont think so. :eek: I once gave up chocolate and was desperate for some by Easter