Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's only been two months but....

It's only been two months but....

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's only been two months but....

Already I would sell my soul for a crust of Warburtons toastie bread, smothered in Lurpak...... I used to have that after driving home from Asda, and leaving the mini Melton Mowbray pork pies on the top of the bag, for on the way home. <sob>....... I've (really) lost a stone since getting here, but what's the point of being skinny and bloody miserable! The only consolation is wine is about $4 a litre at Walmart, so I'm coping. Don't worry people, I'll get through
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:53 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's only been two months but....

i have to say - weve been here coming up to 3 years and i rarely even think about the food now. I used to hardly ever eat american bread or bacon or sausage etc as it always seem a poor second to the brit stuff i was used to - but that just all became less of a deal over time and now we eat the stuff very much in the same way we did back home and dont even think about it.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Can honestly say I'm not missing anything in particular food-wise in my 2 months. Having been spoiled for excellent Indian restaurants in my native area, that's as close as it gets to a craving. Have found an adequate one in Knoxville so I reckon I will cope.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,
if you are getting desperate for proper sausages and real bacon, you are about 3 hours from a real English butcher in North Carolina
http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus...rsus_index.asp
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

every time i wake up with a hang over i miss bacon butties! also i miss being able to go and get a roast dinner for a few quid at the pub....i just looked up that place in NC it's 4 and half hours drive for me, but the in laws are coming and staying next month and talked about going for a short trip to NC/SC so maybe i can get them to pick me some up
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

with time you will find foods that are as good as/like what you are looking for (aside from some good dry cure smoked bacon of course hehe). A local baker here has this awesome 'country white' as its called here in chicago area, its really dense and moist, and with a good thick spread of butter (why spoil it with anything else!) its about $5 of course but to me thats far better value than $3 for a horrid dry sliced from the supermarket. Anyway the country white is easily as good as a nice loaf from morrisons store bakery, u can get lurpack in US, one of two independant though large grocers round here sell it.

A couple of loacal butchers also do very respectable british banger, their own, just rusk, pepper, spices, really nice, bacon is tricker and of course real black pudding is a no go, ive had the irish style here now and again but its like comparing bologne to ground beef, theres very little in common, i love balck pudding and just enjoy them when i visit UK.

With time you do adjust to not having warbies!!

Last edited by bugman; Aug 9th 2010 at 12:52 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Already I would sell my soul for a crust of Warburtons toastie bread, smothered in Lurpak...... I used to have that after driving home from Asda, and leaving the mini Melton Mowbray pork pies on the top of the bag, for on the way home. <sob>....... I've (really) lost a stone since getting here, but what's the point of being skinny and bloody miserable! The only consolation is wine is about $4 a litre at Walmart, so I'm coping. Don't worry people, I'll get through

Don't believe that your grocer doesn't sell Lurpak. Both of our markets do in our area as well as the local mom and pop Arab or Korean stores on the avenue. Lots of good curry, bangers and mash, pork pies, kidney pies, white and black puddings, proper bacon, and all manners of English cookies, candies, teas, bisto, spotted dick, etc.

You apparently need to move

Is that is wine $4 per gallon or liter?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Poor guy Steve! Already getting withdrawals huh?

There are tons of online places where you can get virtually anything British, if you need a good site that I have used, just PM me and I will send you the address

When I get chance, I will send you a list of the Brit foods/sweets etc that I can get on base, if you want me too, I can pick you some of them up.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

wine is about $4 a litre
Originally Posted by Rete
Is that is wine $4 per gallon or liter?
I guess that would be litres/liters then! I hope it's reasonably good at that price otherwise he'll probably have a massive hangover tomorrow!

Last edited by GeoffM; Aug 9th 2010 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Broken quote
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you find a trader joes they sell Kerry gold butter and proper milk. Thats as good as it gets for me, then down the street is Cost plus world market they have the sweet goodies and beans and sausage casserole mixes etc.
You;ll get used to it soon enough. I wish I could lose a stone
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was watching "You are What You Eat" where they set out what the person has eaten for a week on a table - it was like torture for us reading stuff like:

20 x pkts Walkers Crisps

17 x Turkish Delight

3 jars pickled onions

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the suggestions! I guess everyone had to get used to the change in diet when they got here. I've stopped trying to make sandwiches with 'I can't believe it's not butter' and 'I can't believe it's not bread'! The food when we eat out is great.... steaks, chicken, ribs etc, but it's difficult to find stuff to snack on at home. We have a world market within walking distance of our place, and they do bits and pieces (Heinz beans and soups for $3.99 a tin)! They don't sell Greggs corned beef pasties and sausage rolls though..... I used to like nothing more than a cup of tea and a Kit Kat. Kit Kats aren't Kit Kats when they're made by Hersheys. This is probably not a bad thing, as the man boobs are shrinking daily! I may take you up on that offer Kim, if there's anything I'm desperately craving! The nearest Trader Joes' to us is 145 miles away, which is probably a bit far for half a pound of butter Mummy ITF! Mrs_I wishes she could lose a stone too by the way....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't believe that your grocer doesn't sell Lurpak. Both of our markets do in our area as well as the local mom and pop Arab or Korean stores on the avenue. Lots of good curry, bangers and mash, pork pies, kidney pies, white and black puddings, proper bacon, and all manners of English cookies, candies, teas, bisto, spotted dick, etc.
You must live in the west end of Newcastle! I haven't seen anything like that around here, although we mainly use supermarkets like Walmart, Publix, Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly. Perhaps that's where we're going wrong! The wine we've been buying is Merlot by the way. $15.75 for a 5 litre box, so it's a lttle less than $4 a litre/liter (depending on where you're from)! It's fine as long as you don't overdo it
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nah I live 25 miles from the center of Manhattan. Our neighborhood is Irish with a thick brogue and the markets and butchers reflect just that. I directed Patrick "the trucker" who delivers to our city to check it out for himself and he came back and said it is authentic. Personally I love the fish and chips although it is served a bit greasy and bangers, mash and beans is good. Can't do the Irish brekkie though.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:28 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't sell Greggs corned beef pasties and sausage rolls though.....
OMG drool drool drool - I HATE these threads that remind me of such things.....
Greggs cheese and onion pasty!!! OMG!!! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.