Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's only been two months but....

It's only been two months but....

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's only been two months but....

Originally Posted by Burn1911
OMG drool drool drool - I HATE these threads that remind me of such things.....
Greggs cheese and onion pasty!!! OMG!!! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Sorry! I didn't mean to make you slaver....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye out for a Fresh and Easy grocery store it's Tesco.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
I may take you up on that offer Kim, if there's anything I'm desperately craving! The nearest Trader Joes' to us is 145 miles away, which is probably a bit far for half a pound of butter Mummy ITF! Mrs_I wishes she could lose a stone too by the way....
You know where I am...just holler!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:50 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Already I would sell my soul for a crust of Warburtons toastie bread, smothered in Lurpak...... I used to have that after driving home from Asda, and leaving the mini Melton Mowbray pork pies on the top of the bag, for on the way home. <sob>....... I've (really) lost a stone since getting here, but what's the point of being skinny and bloody miserable! The only consolation is wine is about $4 a litre at Walmart, so I'm coping. Don't worry people, I'll get through
At least your Walmart sells wine. Living in PA I have to jump through hoops just to look at a bottle and the wine aisle at Tesco and Asda is a distant memory.

The powers that be are introducing wine kiosks in some supermarkets but you have to take a breathalyzer before you can get the chiller door open.......seriously.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Already I would sell my soul for a crust of Warburtons toastie bread, smothered in Lurpak...... I used to have that after driving home from Asda, and leaving the mini Melton Mowbray pork pies on the top of the bag, for on the way home. <sob>....... I've (really) lost a stone since getting here, but what's the point of being skinny and bloody miserable! The only consolation is wine is about $4 a litre at Walmart, so I'm coping. Don't worry people, I'll get through
It took me a couple of years to find that there are shops around that sell quite a few British goodies...you can also get quite a lot on-line now. TBH you do get used to US food...with one exception...the chocolate. Fortunately there is a shop nearby that sells quite a good selection of UK choc.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree after time you get used to the food, and dont miss it so much, but the Chocolate........ah the galaxy bars.........and then pork pie.... although I did have one the other day, only $5 from a little British shop I found....my friend thought i was crazy couldnt wait to eat it and when i did I was in heaven..........walking up the road eating and laughing at the same time, not a pretty sight.
Steve it will get better honest.......
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:19 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Can honestly say I'm not missing anything in particular food-wise in my 2 months. Having been spoiled for excellent Indian restaurants in my native area, that's as close as it gets to a craving. Have found an adequate one in Knoxville so I reckon I will cope.

Heading there in a few weeks, are you saying you found a good curry house in Knoxville?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The powers that be are introducing wine kiosks in some supermarkets but you have to take a breathalyzer before you can get the chiller door open.......seriously.
We were watching that story on the news the other day, and decided we couldn't live there! I can go without pork pies but alcohol is a completely different matter!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,
apparently the Publix in Mt Pleasant has a British food section as well as Harris Tweeter in Mt Pleasant. Get off your bum and use that new driving licence to see whats out and about
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
Steve,
apparently the Publix in Mt Pleasant has a British food section as well as Harris Tweeter in Mt Pleasant. Get off your bum and use that new driving licence to see whats out and about
I was in Harris Teeter last night, just popped in for one thing and didn't really have time to look around, it's a brand new store and the staff are 'in your face' the minute you walk in! I think it's one of the more expensive stores for food around here, but may be worth a look to see what Brit products they have

We are just across the street from there, so if you plan on going, give us a shout and I will put the kettle on, I have PG tips!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We are just across the street from there, so if you plan on going, give us a shout and I will put the kettle on, I have PG tips!
We might just take you up on your kind offer, in fact I was going to reply to Vimto and say we could pop in and see ET for a cup of tea and a scone! We may have a look at Publix there too, as I know in the touristy areas in FL, they have quite a lot of Brit stuff. The Publix in Summerville doesn't have much though. I'll let you know when we're going to be around your way, and if you're in we'll call by.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We might just take you up on your kind offer, in fact I was going to reply to Vimto and say we could pop in and see ET for a cup of tea and a scone! We may have a look at Publix there too, as I know in the touristy areas in FL, they have quite a lot of Brit stuff. The Publix in Summerville doesn't have much though. I'll let you know when we're going to be around your way, and if you're in we'll call by.
Just don't make it this weekend, we are off to Georgia on Saturday for a baby shower, we had lovely tea and (home made) scones at another BE members house last weekend, it was lovely to chat with a couple of Brits, they have a very cute doggy called 'biscuit' which I thought was very ap't. We should all get together for a bbq soon, they are going to be off to sunny SoCal pretty soon

Anyone else around here want to party with us?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like a great idea to me. The cup of tea seems to have turned into a barbecue party though! Do concierges do valet parking too?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like a great idea to me. The cup of tea seems to have turned into a barbecue party though! Do concierges do valet parking too?
I do tend to get a bit carried away huh

My Son can take care of the valet parking if you like? he is 17 and hasn't bothered taking his test yet. I wouldn't trust him with my car though