British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   It's Official Now --- I'm a Senior Citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/its-official-now-im-senior-citizen-762744/)

Rete Jun 24th 2012 8:20 pm

It's Official Now --- I'm a Senior Citizen

Yup, I only discovered that yesterday. Think knowing the year I was born would have been a clue to me.:thumbdown:

I went on a Senior's outing yesterday. Yes sir, me and a bus load of aging, aged and white and steeled haired old ladies went to Lincoln Center to see the ballet, Firebird and then on to dinner at a Spanish restaurant on 26th street. Hell, one lady was so old she returned her lobster because she didn't have the strength to crack the shell. :eek: And no, she would not allow anyone else to do it for her.

Now that is old ... shoot me before I get there:ohmy:

Mummy in the foothills Jun 24th 2012 9:33 pm

Re: It's Official Now --- I'm a Senior Citizen

:lol:My Mum has just realized she's getting old too and she's 74 this year. She has started going out on the mini bus from her village with all the other old dears, the village pays to send them all out somewhere different each week, she says it's brilliant. The woman running it all is my age and we know each other from when we were little kids.

Sally Redux Jun 24th 2012 10:30 pm

:lol: I went on a senior's bus tour of historic sites in Calabasas.

Noorah101 Jun 25th 2012 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 10136711)
Yup, I only discovered that yesterday. Think knowing the year I was born would have been a clue to me.:thumbdown:

I went on a Senior's outing yesterday. Yes sir, me and a bus load of aging, aged and white and steeled haired old ladies went to Lincoln Center to see the ballet, Firebird and then on to dinner at a Spanish restaurant on 26th street. Hell, one lady was so old she returned her lobster because she didn't have the strength to crack the shell. :eek: And no, she would not allow anyone else to do it for her.

Now that is old ... shoot me before I get there:ohmy:

Congrats, Rete! :D

Rene

lansbury Jun 25th 2012 4:17 am

Have you joined AARP Rete? :lol:

Rete Jun 25th 2012 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10137214)
Have you joined AARP Rete? :lol:

Became a member when I was 50, lansbury. Great discounts on travel.

Bob Jun 25th 2012 4:42 pm

Good going....just about old enough for a blue rinse then? :p

My mum loves it, cost her a fiver on the coach to go see her friend in Wales with her OAP pass, that's less than the cost of the toll over the bridge :D

Rete Jun 25th 2012 4:47 pm

I did enjoy it. The bus was great for getting into the city and let us off directly in front of and pick us up directly in front of Lincoln Center. Had plenty of time to walk about, have a light lunch, and the ballet was wonderful. The restaurant offered good food and pitchers of Sangria so no complaints and all for a very nominal cost.

I laughed to myself 'cause I'm not old enough to officially retire under the SS rules but still can avail myself of senior discounts in many stores, restaurants and venues.

Do think, however, I will borrow my dad's old cane for the next trip so that I fit in better :p