Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Its not what you know, its who you know..

Its not what you know, its who you know..

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its not what you know, its who you know..

Thought I'd post this after reading effi's thread about her job prospects.

Its been mentioned a few times here, that in America, networking or more of not what you know, but who you know, is a very good way to get your foot in the door. Some of you may remember a few weeks back where I just missed out on a job due to a member of staff's relocation plans falling through. Well that same company has been trying really hard to find me work, on recomendation from the manager that I interviewed with. Not having a drivers license has ruined a couple of chances, but they may have found something for me, which is not that far from where I live. I'm going in tomorrow to meet with the HR department. Hopefully the job will be of some interest to me.

Its nice to see that the manager was true to his word, especially after some of the crappy people I have dealt with at other places.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its not what you know, its who you know..

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Its been mentioned a few times here, that in America, networking or more of not what you know, but who you know, is a very good way to get your foot in the door. Some of you may remember a few weeks back where I just missed out on a job due to a member of staff's relocation plans falling through. Well that same company has been trying really hard to find me work, on recomendation from the manager that I interviewed with. Not having a drivers license has ruined a couple of chances, but they may have found something for me, which is not that far from where I live. I'm going in tomorrow to meet with the HR department. Hopefully the job will be of some interest to me.

Its nice to see that the manager was true to his word, especially after some of the crappy people I have dealt with at other places.
I know exactly what you mean, my case in point. The job I had before I moved to AZ was the job I enjoyed most and I got it by being interviewed at a party by a drunken guy who ended up being my boss. He said "can you start on Monday" and I said yes. When Monday morning came I kept thinking he is going to forget and ask me what the hell I am doing there. I worked for him for 7 years until my husband was relocated here on promotion.

Most of the jobs I have had over the years I seem to have just fallen into by speaking to people at different places. The fact that my husband was in the UK military in a funny sort of way helped as well. Every time we got posted I would have to give up whatever job I had at the time, move then go on the dole at the new place. Whilst on the dole, I was entitled to endless amounts of free education and took all I was offered with the result that I know a little bit about a lot of things. Funny old thing the way things have a way of working out.

Pimbot, I hope you get the job, like I always say, get your foot in the door and take it from there. Good luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not what you know, its who you know..

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Good luck with the job interview. Then you can go out and get yourself a nice Raleigh and a pair of those bike clips and you're off.