Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
What I wrote sounds AWFULLY pissy and judgemental. Apologies.
I wouldn't apologise...you've gone up in my estimation.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:20 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Oooh err. Now I'm nervous.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Oooh err. Now I'm nervous.
Consider me your mentor.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But even in those cases, it's not exactly difficult to come up with a bank statement, utility bill, paystub and insurance card, which is all you'd need to get to six points.

It's not that easy if your new to the state though is it, because you'd have to wait for pay cycle, billing cycle to get through, which means you'd be getting your license after 30 day period which can be interesting.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:23 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Ah NJ - the state that thinks its residents are too stupid to pump their own gas safely (or have they changed that now?).
Oregon is another state that has outlawed self service as well. I believe their reason for it was to prevent drive-off's at the pump. I found this out when I tried to pump my own gas when I vacationed there.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:24 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Consider me your mentor.
I sense a disturbance in the force.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

as is a green card (with must also be pretty old in your case.)
Actually an old-style unexpiring green card (i.e. mine) is only worth 2 points

But even in those cases, it's not exactly difficult to come up with a bank statement, utility bill, paystub and insurance card, which is all you'd need to get to six points.
And you can only use 2 of those. That makes 4 points. Your only additional option would be to get married (or divorced), which seems pretty radical, if you haven't already. Oh, or get a gun license.

Obviously it can be done, but my point is - don't assume that any experience you have in one state, or with one government body, will translate to another state or another government body.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:38 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Actually an old-style unexpiring green card (i.e. mine) is only worth 2 points

And you can only use 2 of those. That makes 4 points. Your only additional option would be to get married (or divorced), which seems pretty radical, if you haven't already. Oh, or get a gun license.

Obviously it can be done, but my point is - don't assume that any experience you have in one state, or with one government body, will translate to another state or another government body.
VERY valid point, Jennifer. Kudos.

Although I was referring to my experiences in the same state and with the same govt. body as Elizabeth Websters.

And in your case. Old passport - two points. Old green card - two points. Two other points of ID. Six.

Perhaps - PERHAPS - it involves inconvenient rummaging through your knicker draw to get the valid ID together, but I still managed it with a few weeks (not months) of arriving in the US.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

You think the old passport would work? That wouldn't occur to me. Anyway it's academic - I'm not moving to NJ

I do get fed up with different states/different systems though. I know why it's like that but I don't have to like it (she says, stamping her feet).
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:47 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not that easy if your new to the state though is it, because you'd have to wait for pay cycle, billing cycle to get through, which means you'd be getting your license after 30 day period which can be interesting.
My complaint is with Elizabeth's article.

She states that 'they' (the NJ MVC) wouldn't accept her British passport as proof of ID - implying entirely falsely that this is a normal state of affairs.

She doesn't put any disclaimer that her passport was 'old' or didn't have the correct visa in it or anything of that sort. She presents her example as a typical experience for anybody presenting the DMV with a British passport.

And in doing so, what she wrote is entirely misleading.

I mean, that's journalism, I guess. But it's not very GOOD journalism to distort the facts in such a fashion.

Or maybe it IS very good journalism.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:50 pm
Militant Ginger

You think the old passport would work? That wouldn't occur to me. Anyway it's academic - I'm not moving to NJ

I do get fed up with different states/different systems though. I know why it's like that but I don't have to like it (she says, stamping her feet).
You're quite right.

And in getting all pissy about Elizabeth's article, I neatly ignore my OWN footstamping. http://rolandhulme.blogspot.com/2007...y-anarchy.html
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually an old-style unexpiring green card (i.e. mine) is only worth 2 points.
That won't be a problem for you too much longer because you have to convert to the 10 yr GC.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My complaint is with Elizabeth's article.

She states that 'they' (the NJ MVC) wouldn't accept her British passport as proof of ID - implying entirely falsely that this is a normal state of affairs.

She doesn't put any disclaimer that her passport was 'old' or didn't have the correct visa in it or anything of that sort. She presents her example as a typical experience for anybody presenting the DMV with a British passport.

And in doing so, what she wrote is entirely misleading.

I mean, that's journalism, I guess. But it's not very GOOD journalism to distort the facts in such a fashion.

Or maybe it IS very good journalism.
Before we sat our written test we showed our PPs...they didn't know what the hell it was. There was some discussion that it meant we were residents of Oklahoma....UK/OK.

Now the large pink UK driving license written in English on one side and Welsh on the other really threw them. Of course I handed mine in Welsh side up.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah NJ - the state that thinks its residents are too stupid to pump their own gas safely (or have they changed that now?).
Nope it hasn't changed...but it's pretty stupid to have to pump your own gas in this weather IMO.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:12 am
Riding on silver wings

Oregon is also a state where Self Service isn't an option. I believe their reason is to prevent drive-off's from happening. I found that out by accident when I tried to pump my own gas when I was vacationing there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.