Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...license-Us.xml

Elizabeth Webster found that you need patience and papers in abundance when applying for your driver's licence.

The night before I was due to take my New Jersey driving test I refused to go to bed until I had gained 100 per cent in the practice papers.

There was no way that I was going to let my husband, Dr W, beat me in this.

The blood alcohol limits; the stopping and parking distances from crosswalks, stop signs and fire hydrants; dates for studded snow tires (sic) on New Jersey roads; the license (sic) requirements if I want to drive a tractor; documentation that should be carried in the car - all etched into my memory.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:24 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a long road to a New Jersey licence

So weird. For me, it was easy. I passed the computer test (one more question wrong and I would have flunked) and then they just gave me a licence, boom.

no test or anything.

But it cost A LOT because I had 8 points on my licence from New York (heavy right foot) and I had to go to Staten Island to get that sorted out first.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

she only queued for 10 mins and the person spoke English? I don't believe that
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
So weird. For me, it was easy. I passed the computer test (one more question wrong and I would have flunked) and then they just gave me a licence, boom.

no test or anything.

But it cost A LOT because I had 8 points on my licence from New York (heavy right foot) and I had to go to Staten Island to get that sorted out first.
I had 8 points also for the same reason. Did you do a 4 hour state defensive driving course? You could've gotten 4 of those points taken off if you had.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:29 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I had 8 points also for the same reason. Did you do a 4 hour state defensive driving course? You could've gotten 4 of those points taken off if you had.
No! I'll look into that!

I've got a clean licence now. Not virginal - just born again.

Damn, smart German cars.... High tech driving course. I know who you are!!

Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

No! I'll look into that!

I've got a clean licence now. Not virginal - just born again.

Damn, smart German cars.... High tech driving course. I know who you are!!

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/m...ansporter6.jpg

http://www.avforums.com/dvdreviews/i...terSpDelR1.jpg
Sorry to disappoint you but Im much better looking and better dressed, not going bald and would NEVER own a car with a tan or beige interior...have way more class than that. No disrespect to him though...we do share the very same accent.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:15 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I fully understand that being an expat can make the process difficult at the DMV. Yet we Americans face the same issues. I absolutely HATE going to the DMV for some of the reasons the lady in the article stated. All those friggin' hoops and hurdles. Having to have the right documentation at the right time. Being told one thing and then another, especially when you've done research on THEIR website. One of these days I'm going to have a flawless experience when I go. I'm going to have my paperwork. I'm going to be helped by courteous people that actually give a damn and don't smack bubble gum, talk about the soap they are watching with their co-worker, what so-and-so is doing, AND how much they hate their job whilst moving like a snail behind the counter. Arggggh! I'm patient but damn, I've got my limits.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:33 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I fully understand that being an expat can make the process difficult at the DMV. Yet we Americans face the same issues. I absolutely HATE going to the DMV for some of the reasons the lady in the article stated. All those friggin' hoops and hurdles. Having to have the right documentation at the right time. Being told one thing and then another, especially when you've done research on THEIR website. One of these days I'm going to have a flawless experience when I go. I'm going to have my paperwork. I'm going to be helped by courteous people that actually give a damn and don't smack bubble gum, talk about the soap they are watching with their co-worker, what so-and-so is doing, AND how much they hate their job whilst moving like a snail behind the counter. Arggggh! I'm patient but damn, I've got my limits.
I totally agree with what UGACREW wrote.

After rereading that article, two things struck me. First off - all she was basically doing was whining about having to queue for so long (ever been to a British post office, love?)

And then there was that whole: 'They wouldn't accept my passport because it was British.'

I am SORRY but I'm calling bullshit on that one.

I've been licenced, insured, registered and made at least six visits to DMV's in two states and there has never EVER been any question of accepting a British passport.

I think she just made it up to make her article sound better.

Pity - even that fruity little lie couldn't save it from being dreary.

Last edited by Roland Hulme; Dec 9th 2007 at 11:18 pm. Reason: Removed profanity.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

After rereading that article, two things struck me. First off - all she was basically doing was whining about having to queue for so long (ever been to a British post office, love?)

And then there was that whole: 'They wouldn't accept my passport because it was British.'

What utter bollocks. What complete crap. What a total lie.

I've been licenced, insured, registered and made at least six visits to DMV's in two states and there has never EVER been any question of accepting a British passport.

Of course you do know that this particular Elizabeth Webster is a frequent and well established member of this forum don't you?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Having just looked at NJ's requirements I had some difficulty in getting to my 6 points. For a start my UK passport wouldn't work - it doesn't have the right kind of visa in it AND i have an old style green card. My old style card is only worth 2 not 4 points in this strange system. I can well believe she had difficulty. You have a look - it's bizzare. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...ctor/index.htm
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Having just looked at NJ's requirements I had some difficulty in getting to my 6 points. For a start my UK passport wouldn't work - it doesn't have the right kind of visa in it AND i have an old style green card. My old style card is only worth 2 not 4 points in this strange system. I can well believe she had difficulty. You have a look - it's bizzare. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...ctor/index.htm
Christ! That's the most convoluted system if I ever saw one. I'm surprised they weren't asking for blood tests, retinal scan, and your shoe size. Remind me not to move to NJ.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:14 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine in March 2003, it looks like it might have been easier then - for international drivers you had to go to a regional centre (not just any DMV), the queues were longer but at least the people there knew what the requirements were.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to grocery stores that wouldn't accept my UK passport because it wasn't US issued before I got my US drivers license for that very reason.

What utter bollocks. What complete crap. What a total lie.

Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:16 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Rushman
Of course you do know that this particular Elizabeth Webster is a frequent and well established member of this forum don't you?
Good! Hopefully she'll be able to explain her article. Edit - if she chooses too. What I wrote sounds AWFULLY pissy and judgemental. Apologies.

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I'm sorry for your difficulty - but you must have VERY old paperwork. A passport with a valid VISA (which must have expired and been replaced in your case) is worth four points, as is a green card (with must also be pretty old in your case.)

But even in those cases, it's not exactly difficult to come up with a bank statement, utility bill, paystub and insurance card, which is all you'd need to get to six points.

I think Elizabeth's article exagerated and was misleading - if she feels differently I'm sure she'll seek me out and put me in my place (generally not difficult!)

I went through a right bloody saga getting my licence, so I understand her frustration, but I agree with UgaCrew. It's not like we'd never had to deal with this crap back at home.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Christ! That's the most convoluted system if I ever saw one. I'm surprised they weren't asking for blood tests, retinal scan, and your shoe size. Remind me not to move to NJ.
Ah NJ - the state that thinks its residents are too stupid to pump their own gas safely (or have they changed that now?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.