Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's funny how..............

It's funny how..............

Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:31 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's funny how..............

....quickly you start to feel at "home" here after only a few months, don't you think? I know I'm still a freshman and that everybody is different but, personally, as long as I have some sort of routine, I reckon I could get by anywhere. Even at it's worst, the US is at least entertaining. I mean, is there anything better than Hell's Kitchen USA and George Bush on TV?

I am even seperated from my fiancee, who is moving to Nebraska in a couple of months, but we are making it work and everything seems pretty good. It seems as though the hardest bit is over for us and it can only get better from now on. Again, maybe naive, but that's how I feel right at this moment.

Looking back at when I first arrived, it was unbelievably tough (no furniture, no car, no money, no NOTHING!) and just starting from square one again was scary. I have a friend who has just done the same move as me and he is going through the same things and it's really hard to watch actually. I guess there is some hope, even when all you wanna do is jump in a taxi to the airport and get the F**K out of this strange place.

Dont get me wrong, I'm about as British as you can get and see my long term future there, but it's a great experience nonetheless and I think the sooner you realise that, the better it is. At least that's how it is for me.

I just wanted to share that with everybody - thanks for listening!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:40 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's funny how..............

It took me a bit longer than a few months but I am beginning to see this as the great adventure we anticipated it would be.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:40 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton View Post
....quickly you start to feel at "home" here after only a few months, don't you think? I know I'm still a freshman and that everybody is different but, personally, as long as I have some sort of routine, I reckon I could get by anywhere. Even at it's worst, the US is at least entertaining. I mean, is there anything better than Hell's Kitchen USA and George Bush on TV?

I am even seperated from my fiancee, who is moving to Nebraska in a couple of months, but we are making it work and everything seems pretty good. It seems as though the hardest bit is over for us and it can only get better from now on. Again, maybe naive, but that's how I feel right at this moment.

Looking back at when I first arrived, it was unbelievably tough (no furniture, no car, no money, no NOTHING!) and just starting from square one again was scary. I have a friend who has just done the same move as me and he is going through the same things and it's really hard to watch actually. I guess there is some hope, even when all you wanna do is jump in a taxi to the airport and get the F**K out of this strange place.

Dont get me wrong, I'm about as British as you can get and see my long term future there, but it's a great experience nonetheless and I think the sooner you realise that, the better it is. At least that's how it is for me.

Thanks fro sharing that.
Kind of the way I have always felt mate. I got a little homesick one time way back but not like hearwrenchingly homesick. I always thought it was a big adventure and still do. I guess I am still a freshman too compared to many on here and you are bound to get a few - yeah, well, just wait and see pal - replies, but for me that's how I feel right now. Occasionally all immigrants feel like running to the nearest airport, it is only natural.

I have said this before but whenever I feel pangs (which is rare) I think about my mates back home, sitting around over a few beers in rainy manchester and someone saying - so, whatja reckon SS is up to right this minute in america? I imagine a discussion of the fabulous adventures I am bound to be having and it always cheers me up because I know for a fact it happens. Even when I am sitting here broke and fed up. Least you can always say you did it no matter what happens in the long run.

So, nice post, karma coming and good luck
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:42 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris View Post
It took me a bit longer than a few months but I am beginning to see this as the great adventure we anticipated it would be.
Hurrah for ya Doris. One big adventure for all of us. If you look at it any differently it is doomed to fail. Lets have more of this positivity Oh sod it, karma for you too he he

EDIT - just so I dont get slagged, I should say it is okay for those who aint feelin it that way too. Different strokes and all that.

Last edited by Silly Sod; Jul 11th 2007 at 12:46 am.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Can you share your secret with me then?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:49 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
Thanks fro sharing that.
Kind of the way I have always felt mate. I got a little homesick one time way back but not like hearwrenchingly homesick. I always thought it was a big adventure and still do. I guess I am still a freshman too compared to many on here and you are bound to get a few - yeah, well, just wait and see pal - replies, but for me that's how I feel right now. Occasionally all immigrants feel like running to the nearest airport, it is only natural.

I have said this before but whenever I feel pangs (which is rare) I think about my mates back home, sitting around over a few beers in rainy manchester and someone saying - so, whatja reckon SS is up to right this minute in america? I imagine a discussion of the fabulous adventures I am bound to be having and it always cheers me up because I know for a fact it happens. Even when I am sitting here broke and fed up. Least you can always say you did it no matter what happens in the long run.

So, nice post, karma coming and good luck
Yeh its funny you mention about your mates, I'm the same. Its weird though cos so many of my mates have been saying how things are'nt the same and how they talk about me all the time (which is a bit gay tbh!). Sometimes with my best mates from school, it feels as though your life is moving on at breakneck speed, but when you go home, you realise that theirs has pretty much stalled and they seem miserable. I think you just have to look around and realise that what you are doing, right at this moment, many people would give their right arm for.

Of course, I might feel differently in the morning. Maybe it's that Maleic acid buffer I just made up in the lab going to my head!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:51 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You're such a sweetie, you'd be at home anywhere
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:53 am
You're all mugs!

Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
I dont know, I guess I've always been comfortable in my own skin and don't suffer from loneliness too badly, which I think helps a lot. I dont really have any real friends here yet and hardly ever go out, but I'm still content. I have also done a short stint in the US before (1 year) so maybe that has helped.

I should also apologise if this upsets people who are just not in the same place as me right now.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:55 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I dont know, I guess I've always been comfortable in my own skin and don't suffer from loneliness too badly, which I think helps a lot. I dont really have any real friends here yet and hardly ever go out, but I'm still content. I have also done a short stint in the US before (1 year) so maybe that has helped.

I should also apologise if this upsets people who are just not in the same place as me right now.
What did I just say? A real sweetie
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:59 am
You're all mugs!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
What did I just say? A real sweetie
Cor that was easy!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you mate thats all I can say. Keep it up!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:17 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
Hurrah for ya Doris. One big adventure for all of us. If you look at it any differently it is doomed to fail. Lets have more of this positivity Oh sod it, karma for you too he he

EDIT - just so I dont get slagged, I should say it is okay for those who aint feelin it that way too. Different strokes and all that.
We could make it into a film.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:24 am
Account Closed

I have been feeling way more positive the last few months. I was so ready to pack up as I miss mummy so much....but she's on her way over in a couple of months and just had my brother here, so not so bad
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:35 am
Who?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
I have been feeling way more positive the last few months. I was so ready to pack up as I miss mummy so much....but she's on her way over in a couple of months and just had my brother here, so not so bad
You can be in the film too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.