British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   It's The Flu Season Stupid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/its-flu-season-stupid-204164/)

Franklin Jan 21st 2004 6:42 am

It's The Flu Season Stupid

Had the flu shot?

Fat lot of good it did this year.

I've got full blown flu. :mad:

Confession: OK, I fess up. When ill, like many men, I am like a child. It ain't no party or disco. :(

Got to try and look on the bright side. :rolleyes:

At least it's not Asian Flu or chicken flu. Well, I hope not. :scared:

It sucks. :lecture:

I should go back to bed and :zzz:

But the darn cough is so violent it forces me out of bed. To top it off, I think I have pulled my lower abdomen muscles. :eek:

I guess that is what happens when your abdomen muscles attempt to explode your lungs out through your mouth and nostrils. :confused:

Anyone else bogged down in deepest darkest flu? :o

NC Penguin Jan 21st 2004 1:31 pm

Re: It's The Flu Season Stupid

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Had the flu shot?

Fat lot of good it did this year.

I've got full blown flu. :mad:

Confession: OK, I fess up. When ill, like many men, I am like a child. It ain't no party or disco. :(

Got to try and look on the bright side. :rolleyes:

At least it's not Asian Flu or chicken flu. Well, I hope not. :scared:

It sucks. :lecture:

I should go back to bed and :zzz:

But the darn cough is so violent it forces me out of bed. To top it off, I think I have pulled my lower abdomen muscles. :eek:

I guess that is what happens when your abdomen muscles attempt to explode your lungs out through your mouth and nostrils. :confused:

Anyone else bogged down in deepest darkest flu? :o
Nope. Never had a flu shot, neither in the UK or here in the US.

One reason is that I have an egg allergy and the vaccine is cultured on egg (this fact is not stated clearly on advertising for the shot).

Another reason for not wanting the shot is that it's a lucky dip really. The vaccine only provides immunity to certain strains of flu and if the flu of the season isn't one of those strains, you gain no protection.

Also, I heard the vaccine takes two weeks to take full effect so you still are at risk of getting the flu in the two week period after you're vaccinated. A few people who had the shot were caught out because of this and came down with flu in a "big way".

NC Penguin

snorkmaiden Jan 21st 2004 2:03 pm

Not had flu shot but am now afflicted. Feel bloody awful. Can't stand staying in bed and have four children to contend with anyway.

I feel so wretched I want to be in my mum and dads house, tucked up in bed with regular visits from the hot ribena fairy :eek:

Woe is me...

Franklin Jan 21st 2004 5:33 pm

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Not had flu shot but am now afflicted. Feel bloody awful. Can't stand staying in bed and have four children to contend with anyway.

I feel so wretched I want to be in my mum and dads house, tucked up in bed with regular visits from the hot ribena fairy :eek:

Woe is me...
Sorry to hear that, BUT I HEAR YOU. It is AWFUL.

I've started taking "DAY & NIGHT" (CVS pharmacy); copy of "CONTAC(TM). There's 20 "caplets" in the packet of DAY & NIGHT. One caplet once every 6 hours (there is a blue caplet for night time relief, the day caplets are yellow).

But I am being VERY CAREFUL not to take more than 1 caplet per 6 hour time period. They contain "acetaminophen" which I think is the US version of our "paracetamol". It is VERY EASY to accidently overdose on paracetamol/acetaminophen, too easy. So take care if you decide to use DAY & NIGHT :eek: :scared:

But right now the CVS generic is working! I can sleep again! But the pills run out like clockwork, my violent coughing restarted six hours later ... so I got up early. Six hours later (after taking a yellow pill ... this sounds like MATRIX I and the Alice in Wonderland scene) the cough came right back. I wish the nighttime one lasted at least 8 hours, and not six. :(

snorkmaiden Jan 21st 2004 6:46 pm

I think I may get hubby to get me some of this miracle drug you speak of. I've just been on the phone to my dad and he is just recovering over in the UK, but said he couldn't have got through without the contac.

I've been on the sofa all morning with a blanket and keep feeling nauseus, blurgh....

Moan, groan, whimper and back to the sofa for me. I am pathetic...