British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   It's finally happening!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/its-finally-happening-704716/)

SnoopJohnnyJohn Feb 9th 2011 7:44 pm

It's finally happening!!!

Hey guys,

So... I finally signed my offer letter for the job I applied for in Reno, Nevada, and the L-1 visa process is underway. The relocation officer thinks the whole process may take around 3 weeks (apart from if there are complications etc) so I'm in the process of making lists, and then some lists, and then a few more lists.

As part of the relocation I have a budget of $3,300 - basically to spend on whatever I need (including first month rent etc.). My questions is this:- what do I spend it on?

Givens:

A plane ticket (with extra baggage allowance for clothes)
Rental car when I first arrive
Hotel when I first arrive

Options:

Shipping of my stuff (see notes below)
First month's rent + security deposit

My stuff:

I have lots of stuff but I'm not sure I'm going to take all of it. I want to take my PS3, my PC, my laptop and my DVDs. The last there is an issue, I have almost 2,000. My current plan is to bring around 500 or so (just the discs) in my luggage (with my laptop to watch them on) while the rest and the remaining boxes are shipped over.

Does anyone, with any experience of recently shipping items, have a rough idea of how much it would be to ship a PS3, PC, around 2,000 DVDs and a couple of boxes of books and random bits? I need to know if I can fit this in my allowance of save up and pay for this later.

Cheers in advance,
John

rpjs Feb 9th 2011 7:58 pm

Re: It's finally happening!!!

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn (Post 9165040)
Does anyone, with any experience of recently shipping items, have a rough idea of how much it would be to ship a PS3, PC, around 2,000 DVDs and a couple of boxes of books and random bits? I need to know if I can fit this in my allowance of save up and pay for this later.

We're shipping 17 boxes (12 "tea-chest" size, 4 double that, one irregular) to NYC via Excess Baggage and it's costing us around GBP600 for a ten-week by ship service. Contents are mostly books - about 2,000 or so.

I dare say you know about the difference in DVD regional encoding between the EU and US. I understand that it is a lot easier to get multi-region DVD players in the US than it once was.

SnoopJohnnyJohn Feb 9th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9165072)
We're shipping 17 boxes (12 "tea-chest" size, 4 double that, one irregular) to NYC via Excess Baggage and it's costing us around GBP600 for a ten-week by ship service. Contents are mostly books - about 2,000 or so.

I dare say you know about the difference in DVD regional encoding between the EU and US. I understand that it is a lot easier to get multi-region DVD players in the US than it once was.

Yeah I do :) Most of my Blu-Rays are region free anyways, but my DVDs are all region 2 - worst case scenario I hook my laptop up to the TV :P

I'm going to do some "calculations" to see how many boxes I would need - hopefully for ease of calculation it'd be about the same size as yours :D

meauxna Feb 9th 2011 8:15 pm

around 2,000 DVDs

How many evenings do you plan to stay in the US?
Do you have any social life currently? :lol:

Congratulations on your job win and move!

SnoopJohnnyJohn Feb 9th 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9165110)
How many evenings do you plan to stay in the US?
Do you have any social life currently? :lol:

Congratulations on your job win and move!

I'm a bit of a hoarder... I watch it, then keep it, and if I sold it I'd probably want to watch it again. That and I'm a massive movie fan. I could just bring my BluRays but I'd just end up collecting all the same films again!

But yeah, I'm a computer programmer (a.k.a. professional geek) so social life is not top of my list of hobbies :P

I've just submitted a quote request to www.shipit.co.uk so I'll see what they come back with... If it's anything like rpjs's quote, I might just have to go ahead and ship my lack-of-social-life with me :)

rpjs Feb 9th 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn (Post 9165090)
I'm going to do some "calculations" to see how many boxes I would need - hopefully for ease of calculation it'd be about the same size as yours :D

I'd guess less. There's a weight limit of 35kg per box, and you hit that a lot faster with books than with DVDs so we didn't fill up our boxes to the brim. I reckon you'll be able to do that and so use fewer boxes.

Nutmegger Feb 9th 2011 8:55 pm

As part of the relocation I have a budget of $3,300 - basically to spend on whatever I need (including first month rent etc.). My questions is this:- what do I spend it on?

Givens:
A plane ticket (with extra baggage allowance for clothes)

I think that most of your $3,300 is going to go on rent and airfare before you start worrying about shipping DVDs! Most landlords here want both first and last month's rent in advance, so that could account for at least $3,000 in one fell swoop! And then you will need to put down deposits on your utilities, as you have no credit record here. There is a site named City Data (or something along those lines!) that people have recommended, which would give you an idea of costs in Reno.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 9th 2011 11:15 pm

You're going to need more money. :lol:

Ozzidoc Feb 9th 2011 11:47 pm

Here's my litte thread that might help:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=boxes

MsElui Feb 10th 2011 1:45 am

if you have no credit history over here - you will be getting off very lightly if they just want first and last months rent. You might well need to stump up several months more than a yank - to get something.

rallybug Feb 10th 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9165197)
...There is a site named City Data (or something along those lines!) that people have recommended, which would give you an idea of costs in Reno.

Main Nevada forum page, and specific Reno-Sparkes area forum page.

Bob Feb 10th 2011 7:01 pm

$3K?

Are they taking the piss? I spent more than that moving from Maine to Mass, and they're right next door!

You've got to factor in that you've no credit history, so you'll probably have to put more down as a deposit, you probably will be looking at the first and last months rent, plus anything from 1-3 months worth of rent as a deposit, possibly more because you've no credit history and then deposits on getting utilities switched on. Also don't forget if you use a realtor to help you find a rental, you'll have anything from half a month up to 3 months worth of rent as a fee, depending on the local market.

Your budget is blown before you've even got a ticket.

SnoopJohnnyJohn Feb 10th 2011 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9167488)
$3K?
Your budget is blown before you've even got a ticket.

Hey it's better than it was! They were originally offering nothing. :eek:
I'm not in too bad a shape, my uncle in San Diego has offered to guarantor me a loan to buy a car, and whatever else I might need it for - I guess I'll just have to use that to chip in to my rent and utilities as well...

Bob Feb 10th 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn (Post 9167929)
Hey it's better than it was! They were originally offering nothing. :eek:
I'm not in too bad a shape, my uncle in San Diego has offered to guarantor me a loan to buy a car, and whatever else I might need it for - I guess I'll just have to use that to chip in to my rent and utilities as well...

If it's a company transfer, they are seriously taking the piss by a country mile.

You should have a look at the wiki on relocation to see what else you might be getting jipped on, as well as adding a bit of job security to the mix.

Car, don't forget insurance will be a lot more expensive in the first year with no US driving history or credit history, you've also got excise tax on the car, plates, registration, inspection etc.

Good luck with the move!

meauxna Feb 11th 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9168160)
If it's a company transfer, they are seriously taking the piss by a country mile.

The relocation agent has got to be making at least that much. :eek: