Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's The Final Countdown... Eeeek!

It's The Final Countdown... Eeeek!

Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

RubyMoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's The Final Countdown... Eeeek!

Hi All!

Firstly, I don't want anyone to think that I am completely lazy and just couldn't be bothered researching things myself because I have spent so many hours reading things I've overwhelmed myself entirely!

Basically, I have now completed the Visa process and have my visa firmly in my passport! Flights are booked and I am due to depart the UK on Nov 12th 2013. However, I'm now at that ultimate stage of paranoia that I've missed something, and I'm hoping that there are some wonderful people on here who have been through it before me who can reassure or advise me.

- I have finished my employment on Oct 25th, and will shortly be sending off my P85 to HMRC, which enables you to inform them that you're leaving (and I should get some Income Tax back too, with a bit of luck!)

- I've got flights booked - my fiancé is coming to get me and take me back

- I've got health insurance covered; he spoke to a company that others on here have used and we have a decent zero-deductible coverage.

I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to do! Do I have to tell my doctor, dentist? Do I have to close my bank account or am I okay just declare this when my fiancé completes his tax returns?

After all the steps we've gone through to get to this point I feel unnervingly unprepared for my imminent departure and the last thing I want is to miss something out.

Any advice anyone can offer would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you very much!

RubyMoss xxx
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:48 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's The Final Countdown... Eeeek!

There's a good wiki guide here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

that goes through what to do before you go.

Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

RubyMoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:56 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

No probs

Just out of interest (we'll be needing it next year) who did you get your health insurance through?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting for you to be so close!

It sounds as though you have most of the important stuff taken care of. I really recommend keeping your bank account open if you can, I couldn't close mine because I was overdrawn (oh dear) and I'm very glad it's still active, even though there's nothing in it. I didn't tell the doctor or dentist, and I was living with my parents so no landlord or bank to deal with either.

I'm sure you've probably thought of all the little things and you were only posting the important stuff here, but do take some creature comforts with you. Even silly things like M&S undies, some favourite snacks...little things to help remind you of home during your adjustment period.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Rose tea; Nov 5th 2013 at 1:16 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the wiki, there have also been a few threads on this that would be worth a look.

Extra copy of birth certs, especially parents/marriage certs might be handy if you've got the time.

Do the tourist thing, photo's of local favourite places.

Good bye do's a few days before you leave.

Keep bank accounts open.

Get copy of medical/dental history and bring with you.

Set Skype up for the folks.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:24 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

That link is fantastic help
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

jme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud ofjme1323 has much to be proud of

I've got health insurance covered; he spoke to a company that others on here have used and we have a decent zero-deductible coverage.

I'm also curious to know who you got health insurance through? Dealing with this at the moment... quite a mess!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't both with dental records as dentists like to do a full work over on new patients anyway, and in the case of teeth it's all about the physical state of the teeth today, as evidenced visually or by X-ray. What they looked like five years ago has no relevance today.

I'm not sure that a doctor will hand over your records directly to you. You may have to get your doctor in the US to request them.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

davejc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure that a doctor will hand over your records directly to you. You may have to get your doctor in the US to request them.
I managed to get my notes off my own doctor, but the did charge me a princely sum for them!

the majority of them are doctor scribbles... illegible at best!

Good luck with the move!

I've just recently done it myself (been upstate NY for around 4 weeks now! just passed my driving test and knee deep in dealerships looking at buying a car! +1 on the creature comforts, I've had to ration my chocolate