Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ITIN's - refusals and resubmission?!

ITIN's - refusals and resubmission?!

Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

leah_aalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITIN's - refusals and resubmission?!

Hi All,

I am an dual US/UK citizen living in the UK, but desperately trying to wade through all the paperwork in order to move my family to the Seattle area. I had a bit of a tax hiccup, in that I didn't know I had to file my returns with the IRS each year, but I have now managed to submit 4 years of returns (one of which got sent back because I didn't sign it - duh!). With my returns I sent W-7's for both of my kids (2 & 5) and my husband, all of which were rejected. (for background, I can't transfer my US citizenship to the kids as I moved to the UK just before my 13th birthday and haven't spent enough time there since)

For the kids, the reason was that my SSN didn't match my name. Of course I hadn't thought to change my SSN to my married name, but this is all sorted now. Should I re-submit or do I need to wait until next years tax return goes in? For my husband, there was an additional reason given that he did not submit a tax return. He's where I get ultra confused! He's a non-resident alien. He has never lived or worked in the US or for a US company. How is he supposed to submit a US tax return?! Should I have filed jointly with him and declared his UK income as well as mine, and if so, is it now too late?

I would love to be able to start the visa process for the three of them in the next 6 months or so, but each time I think I'm getting somewhere with the tax situation, I seem to hit a hurdle! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITIN's - refusals and resubmission?!

You don't have to file "married jointly". You can file "married separately" and not include his income, that way no need for him to have an ITIN.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene. Am I over complicating a process that is already complicated? Does he need a ITIN number at this point, or is it just me as the US citizen who needs to prove I've been filing my taxes before we apply for visas?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leah_aalin
Thanks Rene. Am I over complicating a process that is already complicated? Does he need a ITIN number at this point, or is it just me as the US citizen who needs to prove I've been filing my taxes before we apply for visas?
He doesn't need an ITIN unless you want to include him on your return. If you file married -separately, he doesn't need an ITIN. ..... When we lived in the UK Mrs P filed married -separately and I didn't have an ITIN and didn't feature on her return.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just you. He does not need an ITIN number if he's not included on your tax return.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok! Will reapply for the girls when returning my unsigned for and proceed with visa prep. Thanks all!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:21 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

before we got green cards and the kids got ssns, we needed ITINs for them for our tax return. The applications were also rejected, so we did resubmit. (im even thinking we may have had to do this again as the first two times i left it to the person helping us, the last time i just did it myself and it was accepted). meant we had our ruture adjusted in the interim to exclude them, and then back again once the itin applications went through (as it takes so bloody long to get the forms in and rejected etc).
Old Aug 4th 2015, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

LauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to chime in, saw this post and was just curious.. i am currently in the process of the K1 Visa ( waiting for medical then interview as our 129F was approved), however prior to this my partner lived in the UK for 2 years from 2011 to 2013 and didn't file her tax returns whilst in the UK as she didn't make an income, will this be a problem with the I-134? and potentially the I-864 (if I'm approved for the K1 and have to do AOS before her next tax return) We have her full IRS transcripts for 2014 and 2015. Didn't mean to hijack the thread- sorry!
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I am an dual US/UK citizen living in the UK, but desperately trying to wade through all the paperwork in order to move my family to the Seattle area. I had a bit of a tax hiccup, in that I didn't know I had to file my returns with the IRS each year, but I have now managed to submit 4 years of returns (one of which got sent back because I didn't sign it - duh!). With my returns I sent W-7's for both of my kids (2 & 5) and my husband, all of which were rejected. (for background, I can't transfer my US citizenship to the kids as I moved to the UK just before my 13th birthday and haven't spent enough time there since)

For the kids, the reason was that my SSN didn't match my name. Of course I hadn't thought to change my SSN to my married name, but this is all sorted now. Should I re-submit or do I need to wait until next years tax return goes in? For my husband, there was an additional reason given that he did not submit a tax return. He's where I get ultra confused! He's a non-resident alien. He has never lived or worked in the US or for a US company. How is he supposed to submit a US tax return?! Should I have filed jointly with him and declared his UK income as well as mine, and if so, is it now too late?

I would love to be able to start the visa process for the three of them in the next 6 months or so, but each time I think I'm getting somewhere with the tax situation, I seem to hit a hurdle! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You may want to ask an IRS approved Certified Acceptance Agent:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Accep...United-Kingdom
Old Sep 6th 2015, 11:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Pointless getting them ITINs, wait until they immigrate and get them SSNs.