Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ITIN/SSN and Credit History

ITIN/SSN and Credit History

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

fourcorners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITIN/SSN and Credit History

Hi This is my first post on here so here goes.

I have accepted a position with my current employer to transfer out to Greensboro NC in early January.

I have owned a property in Florida for about 6 years and had a US Mortgage and Bank Account for all that time. However I have only ever had an ITIN Number as I no need for a SSN.

My question is that once I have a SSN can I link my previous credit history from my ITIN to make the process of building up a credit history quicker
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITIN/SSN and Credit History

Originally Posted by fourcorners

I have accepted a position with my current employer to transfer out to Greensboro NC in early January.

I have owned a property in Florida for about 6 years and had a US Mortgage and Bank Account for all that time. However I have only ever had an ITIN Number as I no need for a SSN.

My question is that once I have a SSN can I link my previous credit history from my ITIN to make the process of building up a credit history quicker
Have you got any credit history with a ITIN
You had an ITIN cos you could not get a SSN
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:24 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fourcorners

First and foremost welcome to BE...

Now I'm like you I only have an ITIN no....(my OH is the one with an SSN)...and I have no credit history....I think (may be wrong) you can only get a credit history when you get an SSN...I'm sure people on here can tell you for definate.

P.S. Greensboro is where I am...so if you need any info about it...let me know...
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
First and foremost welcome to BE...

Now I'm like you I only have an ITIN no....(my OH is the one with an SSN)...and I have no credit history....I think (may be wrong) you can only get a credit history when you get an SSN...I'm sure people on here can tell you for definate.

P.S. Greensboro is where I am...so if you need any info about it...let me know...
I had a credit history long before I had a SSN. I saw a copy of it when we re-mortgaged.

The OP can apply for a copy of his credit report.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:34 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I had a credit history long before I had a SSN. I saw a copy of it when we re-mortgaged.

hmm...going to have to try this myself....Thanks Elvira...
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get one on-line without a SSN ..
mind you I have no credit history at all and have
been here 11 years..

Last edited by Ray; Nov 3rd 2007 at 6:50 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You won't get one on-line without a SSN ..
mid you i have no credit history at all and have
been here 11 years..
I guess only mortgage brokers and banks and the like can access CRs for folk without a SSN?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

KentuckyYid is on a distinguished road

I guess only mortgage brokers and banks and the like can access CRs for folk without a SSN?
There are loan programs for people without any credit report or SSN, interest rates suck though.

As a mortgage banker I cannot get a credit report for anybody without a SSN. There wouldn't be any basis to get a credit report.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:55 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by KentuckyYid
There are loan programs for people without any credit report or SSN, interest rates suck though.

As a mortgage banker I cannot get a credit report for anybody without a SSN. There wouldn't be any basis to get a credit report.
Hm.......

We most certainly did not get the suckers' rate.

And I did see the credit report....... score of 720 at the time.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Hm.......

We most certainly did not get the suckers' rate.

And I did see the credit report....... score of 720 at the time.
Without a SSN how did you get credit to build a credit score?

Just curious?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:06 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by KentuckyYid
Without a SSN how did you get credit to build a credit score?

Just curious?
I had a joint bank account with DH, and was on his Amex, plus of course I have joint the title to the house, and I was joint holder of the previous mortgage, as well as the property insurance. Not to mention property taxes . As well as the car title plus insurance. (I think I was first-named on both of those.)

It all adds up!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Like I've already said, I cannot pull credit on anybody without a SSN. The credit agencies system won't allow it.

I did the adding my name to another persons credit card etc (a loophole that is about to close) but couldn't do it until I had a SSN. I mean this in a sense of having my name on the statement and not just an extended user of the account holder.

Right I'm off out, there are several beers with my name on them getting drunk tonight.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:16 am
Ray

I think you dreamt it....
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:21 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
I think you dreamt it....
I still have the print-out somewhere in my files in the garage

BTW, I also managed to acquire a JC Penney CC whilst on an H4 (i.e. no SSN).

I guess you gonna say it was my accent - maybe they thought I know the Queen...
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

fourcorners is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses.

lisag8070 thank you for the offer. We are coming out in a couple of weeks for some meetings and a look see around the area. Perhaps we will have more questions once we have been

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.