Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ITIN from IRS?

ITIN from IRS?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default ITIN from IRS?

I filed for our tax return last April and attached my younger children documents for ITIN applications, until now I have not received their ITIN.
The check I attached for tax payment had been deposited by the Dept. of Treasury but did not receive any acknowledgement from IRS although I have the return receipt from the Post office .
We are also off to the SS office to follow up my eldest son SSN, its been 4 weeks since he applied, and has not received it yet , he needs his SSN for his job. He is worry that he might lose the job offer without the SSN. It will be his first job here and will help his college expenses.

I am not sure why is everything is taking so long and so slow here.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITIN from IRS?

Originally Posted by abboy

Welcome to Vogon bureaucracy!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I suggest your son goes down to the SS office in person. They'll be able to give him his number.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I filed for our tax return last April and attached my younger children documents for ITIN applications, until now I have not received their ITIN.
The check I attached for tax payment had been deposited by the Dept. of Treasury but did not receive any acknowledgement from IRS although I have the return receipt from the Post office .
We are also off to the SS office to follow up my eldest son SSN, its been 4 weeks since he applied, and has not received it yet , he needs his SSN for his job. He is worry that he might lose the job offer without the SSN. It will be his first job here and will help his college expenses.

We sent off for ITIN no's this Feb when we filed OH's tax return. Still haven't had our rebate although the IRS website says we will have it by 26th June.
I don't know if the numbers will arrive at the same time. I don't know how to check up. Must look into it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:46 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Just called the IRS.
ITIN's are taking between 12 and 14 weeks to issue.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't need an SSN to actually start work, just proof that he's work authorised, show them the I-9 and say he'll give them the number once he has it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Just came back from the local SSN office, upon seeing my son reference letter , she immediately said if you have the letter, it means its still pending , well I said the letter was given to us at that time of application and we brought this here for you to check the status. Then she started blaming the USCIS , saying USCIS is the one taking so long, she told us that it should at least takes 6 weeks for SSN to be issued and asked us to call back instead.
I am not sure what are they still checking when my son has been here for more than a year already, I am sure with his I-94, USCIS has his complete file and can be verified immediately.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:53 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Just came back from the local SSN office, upon seeing my son reference letter , she immediately said if you have the letter, it means its still pending , well I said the letter was given to us at that time of application and we brought this here for you to check the status. Then she started blaming the USCIS , saying USCIS is the one taking so long, she told us that it should at least takes 6 weeks for SSN to be issued and asked us to call back instead.
I am not sure what are they still checking when my son has been here for more than a year already, I am sure with his I-94, USCIS has his complete file and can be verified immediately.
If your son is age 18 or older they aren't going to tell you anything and he needs to go into the office.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, we must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, we may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security for manual verification.

Since 01/06/2007 Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which in the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with copies of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) being verified to be sent at the request of the Department of Homeland Security along with the Form G-845 for manual verification.

1. See if the secondary electronic online verification has been done
2. If yes did it come back
3. If immigration requested to see his documents has the G-845 been sent
4. If yes has it come back

The response on the secondary electronic online verification is supposed to be 15 business days and 20 on the G-845.

I would ask to speak with the office manager if the service rep will check to see if a response has been received or follow up made.

Go in once a week to check on the secondary electronic online verification response. If the G-845 is sent give it two weeks and start checking once a week.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:55 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I suggest your son goes down to the SS office in person. They'll be able to give him his number.
Only if the application has been processed to assign one.