British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Items that are cheaper in the UK than Seattle/USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/items-cheaper-uk-than-seattle-usa-720023/)

mattw89 Jun 7th 2011 10:46 pm

Items that are cheaper in the UK than Seattle/USA

I'm back in the UK for a month as per previous threads, and relocating to the USA for work.

At 22 I'm having to buy most things from scratch.

Electronics make sense to buy in the USA, and also most kitchen things or furnishing also due to shipping expense.

But i was curious on whether certain things such as jackets/shoes/trainers/clothes or other items are cheaper here as looking in Seattle (which i hear is more expensive than most), it seemed where I was looking; it was similar or higher priced.

Thought I would post here and try and culminate some advice which would help me decide what to buy here during my month home as needing to sort out a wardrobes worth of clothes for the four seasons, business wear, and all other random things...

I'm sure like everything there are a lot of variables, but as long as the clothes have longevity that is the main thing. I do buy designer clothes but only usually for their performance rather than the name.

avanutria Jun 7th 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Items that are cheaper in the UK than Seattle/USA

Over my five years in the UK, the only things I found to be reliably cheaper in London than in the US were Babybel mini cheeses and prescription eyeglasses. But I'm not sure if I look to buy the same sorts of things as you do!

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 8th 2011 3:48 am

Beer

Baked beans

Bread

Bob Jun 8th 2011 4:32 am

Some all season camping gear can be cheaper.

Brand clothing is cheaper in the US generally and there are a lot of outlet malls which will be cheaper still.

Markers, good quality graphic markers are cheaper in the UK, the highend ones at least.

Tea/Beans/Cheese/crisps

Curtains/Duvets they are cheaper and more variety

kimilseung Jun 8th 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by mattw89 (Post 9417658)
clothes for the four seasons..... I do buy designer clothes but only usually for their performance rather than the name.

do talk more about designer clothing for performance, I did not think that was the point.

As you talk about four season clothing and performance, something to think about is actual brands that might meet your requirements but are not avaliable in the US, for me that is "Mountain Equipment", there designs again and again met my needs, but you can not get them here. Equivalent items might be cheaper in the states, but so often they are just missing that little feature. Thats what I think of, by performance for clothing, I am not too clear, what you mean.

mattw89 Jun 8th 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9418152)
do talk more about designer clothing for performance, I did not think that was the point.

As you talk about four season clothing and performance, something to think about is actual brands that might meet your requirements but are not avaliable in the US, for me that is "Mountain Equipment", there designs again and again met my needs, but you can not get them here. Equivalent items might be cheaper in the states, but so often they are just missing that little feature. Thats what I think of, by performance for clothing, I am not too clear, what you mean.

Kind of yes, I was concerned some people would think being young and interested in designer clothing that I was just referring to makes such as 'Hollister' or 'Abercrombie' because around my age it seems what everyone is getting...and I didn't want the thread to go off topic.

You're right, by performance I meant features, or for instance; I particularly like say Hugo Boss who I count as designer, because of their longevity I find when washing, and how the material etc.

It seems aside from bedding, i should just take over what i have already here. probably just 2 suitcases full of clothes...