ISA’s

Old Dec 26th 2022, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Lexar12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ISA’s

I would like to transfer ISA’s that I have in the UK to my family. I have no interest in the funds from them and they have been included in the tax returns in the US.

my question is, if I transfer it to them, do I need to pay any taxes on them in the US for the transfer. I’m not selling them, comply transferring the name on them from mine to my parents. Thank you!
Old Dec 26th 2022, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ISA’s

From a UK perspective, there is no tax unless you die within 7 years of the gift. From a US perspective, you'd file a gift tax return if the gifts exceed $16,000 per donee. Because the UK does not permit gifts in specie from an ISA, you'd be selling any investments within the ISA and reporting any gain or loss or PFIC gain.
Old Dec 26th 2022, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Lexar12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cook_County
From a UK perspective, there is no tax unless you die within 7 years of the gift. From a US perspective, you'd file a gift tax return if the gifts exceed $16,000 per donee. Because the UK does not permit gifts in specie from an ISA, you'd be selling any investments within the ISA and reporting any gain or loss or PFIC gain.
thank you. The part I’m unclear on is the UK part, I’ve been told by the respective companies I hold an ISA with a that it would be a simple transfer from one name to another, so would this still be considered a selling? I thought it would not be considered a transaction.
Old Dec 26th 2022, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would have to cash out the ISA because it is a personal tax advantaged account.

https://www.ii.co.uk/ii-accounts/isa...another-person

You cannot transfer an ISA to another person. This is because the tax benefits of ISA accounts are for individuals and cannot be transferred or shared.

If you want to move money from an ISA to another person, you will need to sell the investments, withdraw the money and then give that money to the other person.