British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The IRS and UK state pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/irs-uk-state-pension-654051/)

ScotsMaggie Feb 10th 2010 2:49 am

The IRS and UK state pension

I am having a very hard time trying to file my taxes in the US. There is no provision for filing a foreign social security pension. I can find forms for Canada, but nothing for UK. When I enter it on the tax form (electronic), the tax becomes enormous. Can anybody help here?

:frown:

lansbury Feb 10th 2010 6:53 pm

Re: The IRS and UK state pension

What form (1040) and what line are you entering it on?

ScotsMaggie Feb 10th 2010 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8330694)
What form (1040) and what line are you entering it on?

I am using HR Block. Form is 1040. No problem entering the US Social Security, but there is absolutely nothing that covers the UK. When I tried to put it in, it was treated as an IRA Roth. What am I missing?

I very much appreciate your offer of assistance.

lansbury Feb 10th 2010 9:11 pm

My CPA enters my UK annuity on which I pay US tax on line 16 of the 1040.

A little while ago there was a thread on this as exvj was having problems. After much discussion and research the majority opinion was my CPA was right and it goes on line 16.

I know mine is an annuity but yours isn't US Social Security but a pension from the UK so I would enter it on line 16. It is after all called the State Pension and line 16 is for pensions and annuities. Were you entering it on line 20 for social security?

Zonie Feb 10th 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8331094)

A little while ago there was a thread on this as exvj was having problems. After much discussion and research the majority opinion was my CPA was right and it goes on line 16.

I know mine is an annuity but yours isn't US Social Security but a pension from the UK so I would enter it on line 16. It is after all called the State Pension and line 16 is for pensions and annuities. Were you entering it on line 20 for social security?

As a result of that thread I entered all our pensions, including the UK State Pension on Line 16 for 2009 filing. I used Turbo Tax to e-file it and it was accepted 24 hours later by IRS.

ScotsMaggie Feb 12th 2010 10:45 pm

Many thanks for your reply. Now, another problem. How did you calculate the taxable amount? I tried to follow the directions in the 1040 booklet page but they do not work for our pensions. Is the whole lot taxable?

ScotsMaggie Feb 12th 2010 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8331094)

Thank you for your help. But I am still puzzled as to how much of the pension is taxed. Do you happen to know that? You are probably wise to have a CPA do the work for you. I have followed the instructions for calculating this as given in the 1040 booklet, but it does not seem to work for a pension only, I suppose, for an annuity.

I called the IRS to ask about this and was told to tell the British government that they need to send out a form giving this information. Can't say I feel like doing that!

Zonie Feb 13th 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ScotsMaggie (Post 8337318)
Many thanks for your reply. Now, another problem. How did you calculate the taxable amount? I tried to follow the directions in the 1040 booklet page but they do not work for our pensions. Is the whole lot taxable?

Yes, it is all subject to tax. As to the calculations, Turbotax does that for you.

lansbury Feb 13th 2010 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ScotsMaggie (Post 8337327)
Thank you for your help. But I am still puzzled as to how much of the pension is taxed. Do you happen to know that?

Are you paying any tax on it in the UK? If not it is all taxable in the US.

If you are paying tax in the UK you can claim that against US tax by filling out form 1116, I think that is the right number. However if you are paying UK tax on it and are now a permanent resident of the US you need to get it exempted from UK income tax

ScotsMaggie Feb 13th 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zonie (Post 8337588)
Yes, it is all subject to tax. As to the calculations, Turbotax does that for you.

Zonie, Thank you so much for your help. I will trust Turbotax to resolve this for me since my pension is not taxed in the UK.

ScotsMaggie Feb 13th 2010 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8338039)
Are you paying any tax on it in the UK? If not it is all taxable in the US.

If you are paying tax in the UK you can claim that against US tax by filling out form 1116, I think that is the right number. However if you are paying UK tax on it and are now a permanent resident of the US you need to get it exempted from UK income tax

Lansbury, thank you for all the help you have offered. I do not pay UK tax since I have been out of the country for many years. So I will turn the problem over to Turbotax and see what they say.