Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS and their supposed advocacy service

IRS and their supposed advocacy service

Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default IRS and their supposed advocacy service

OK, so the IRS has had my tax return since 16 Feb this year. We made claimed the standard stuff, submitted electronically, have very simple tax situation blah blah blah... and are owed nearly $4K...

So why is the IRS taking nearly 6 months to not pay...???!!!

They've got the time to send me letters saying 'please give us another 45 days' etc - but not the time to sort my claim out - something I'm sure wouldn't take too long to do...

I've applied to the advocacy service to try and make an impact that way - nothing so far, not even acknowledgement of receipt - and funny old thing, this service is part of the IRS...

"No taxation without representation" was the mantra at the Boston Tea Party - well, I pay taxes here, happily (!) but don't seem to have any representation, not being USC etc...

Any suggestions that fall in to the category of 'useful'??!!

A hopeful HTS
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS and their supposed advocacy service

Thats what happened to us this year too, only we got a partial refund and then letters saying 30 days then 45 days. I'd originally filed in Feb I got the money finally (in full) the last week in July.
From what I was told, they deposit money into the bank accounts every Friday, I found that the message I got on the wheres my refund site changed the day before I got all my money.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I find it much better to owe the IRS money, than the other way around.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I find it much better to owe the IRS money, than the other way around.
Indeed. Always try to make sure that you don't over-withhold. Not always possible, of course, but good advice all the same.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

At least they plan on repaying it....rather than some states issuing a IOU
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, for the comments.

I think this is a 1-off for us - if we are owed any money next time around, it's likely to be a small amount... but being owed nearly $4K at a time when you've just made that move from 1 country/continent to another does cause a little stress!!

Isn't there some kind of maximum term, within which the IRS has to may refunds, before it becomes liable for interest etc? I mean, if I was late paying my taxes I'm pretty sure the IRS would levy a fine and interest... can't I do the same too??!!!

Cheers

HTS
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
... can't I do the same too??!!!
No....that's why it's not a good idea giving them a interest free loan...but it's only something you can only really know exactly about when you're here I guess...so chalk the first year expense and hassle as just that part of the investment in the move
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:31 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

"No taxation without representation".

Any suggestions that fall in to the category of 'useful'??!!
... in your case its been taxation without representation...
So why is the IRS taking nearly 6 months to not pay...???!!! - Uncle Sam is bankrupt don't forget!

Don' piss them off too much otherwise you're going to get a red hot poker up yer ar$e audit!! Advocacy is mere PR... call them directly and talk to a human.. don't get pushed into another department.

Try calling your congressman.
I had a client who was needing a verified copy from the IRS of his return inorder to get VA mortgage squared away... 2 mo+ runaround from the IRS; called and bitched to local congressman's office and his tax return copy was ready the next day.

Don't feel bad... I never got the 'economic stimulus' check, it got intercepted, they saw it was deposited/cashed, but, not from me! Since it was mailed, it was then a matter with USPS and not anything to do with them anymore.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, for the comments.

I think this is a 1-off for us - if we are owed any money next time around, it's likely to be a small amount... but being owed nearly $4K at a time when you've just made that move from 1 country/continent to another does cause a little stress!!

Isn't there some kind of maximum term, within which the IRS has to may refunds, before it becomes liable for interest etc? I mean, if I was late paying my taxes I'm pretty sure the IRS would levy a fine and interest... can't I do the same too??!!!

Cheers

HTS
You can increase or decrease the number of allowances on your W-4 to anything desired. Sometimes I have increased the number of allowances if I knew I would have write offs and other times I decreased the number or changed the W-4 to take out extra each month if I received a large bonus or exercised employee stock options (generally too little is withheld for bonuses and exercised stock options). Generally try not to owe the government more than $1,000 at the end of the year or else you could incur a penalty. However there are several rules that allow you to avoid a penalty if you exceed the $1,000.

http://www.obliviousinvestor.com/avo...ent-penalties/
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Don't feel bad... I never got the 'economic stimulus' check, it got intercepted, they saw it was deposited/cashed, but, not from me! Since it was mailed, it was then a matter with USPS and not anything to do with them anymore.
How could someone else cash a cheque payable to your name? Do they not have crossed cheques in the USA?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:21 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
How could someone else cash a cheque payable to your name? Do they not have crossed cheques in the USA?
Very very rarely are Xd cheques used; even if one does, you're relying on the tellers knowing how to handle them 'correctly'. Checks from the treasury can't have any 'restrictions' for the payee and have to be able to be cashed at any bank; all you have to have is a photo i.d. (easily faked...).

You can cash a napkin if you really want to... as long as it has your acct # and routing/sorting code on it - you are making a legal instrument against your bank account.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Very very rarely are Xd cheques used; even if one does, you're relying on the tellers knowing how to handle them 'correctly'. Checks from the treasury can't have any 'restrictions' for the payee and have to be able to be cashed at any bank; all you have to have is a photo i.d. (easily faked...).

You can cash a napkin if you really want to... as long as it has your acct # and routing/sorting code on it - you are making a legal instrument against your bank account.
No wonder the UK moved right away from that system!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have to say that the shape/look/feel of the US banking system was a bit of a shocker when I first encountered it...

... a cynic might (!) say that the explanation given by the banking industry - about operating across state lines requires extra systems/complexity which costs... is simply an excuse to keep gouging retail banking customers (i.e. the individual...)

The opportunity for fraudulent use of personal details, credit/debit cards and bank account details seems to be greater here than in the UK... emphasis on 'seems'... anyway, I reckon I spend about 3-4 hrs per week accounting for everything that we do with cards, cash, direct debit-stye payments etc - just to be sure we're not getting screwed over somewhere... that's actually not a bad habit to be in anyway... so far, haven't been screwed by criminals, just the auto insurance industry and the IRS...

Cheers

HTS
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

I have recently opened another account at my bank, for business use. One of my employees didn't realize the account didn't have her as a signatory, because she was on the previous account, so paid for a couple of things with checks. When she realized, she paniced and I went down to the branch to sort it out. Their response was to ask if I wanted to prosecute her? Of course I didn't, but when I asked why the check was honored as she shouldn't have signed it, they told me they don't even check unless it is for a large amount!! Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the banking system.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janette
I have recently opened another account at my bank, for business use. One of my employees didn't realize the account didn't have her as a signatory, because she was on the previous account, so paid for a couple of things with checks. When she realized, she paniced and I went down to the branch to sort it out. Their response was to ask if I wanted to prosecute her? Of course I didn't, but when I asked why the check was honored as she shouldn't have signed it, they told me they don't even check unless it is for a large amount!! Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the banking system.
Doesn't surprise me at all... it's perfectly legal to request payment of a check that's not even signed, as I discovered when I accidently failed to sign a check. The bottom line is that this is a very corporatist country and lobbying $$$s have ensured that businesses are not typically encumbered with processes that would cost them money but save their customers hassle or worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.