British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   IRS TAX return - UK Military Pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/irs-tax-return-uk-military-pension-706090/)

sportaxi Feb 19th 2011 10:55 pm

IRS TAX return - UK Military Pension

Any assistance appreciated.

Were in the US on a L-1 visa (2 years now), last year tax return done with CPA ($$$$ expensive), trying this year though Turbo TAX Premier

Question is. I have a UK Armed forces pension (taxed in the UK at source), any idea how I input this into TurboTax (Retirement Plans 1099-R) i cant see any provision to allow me to say that it is already taxed in UK, or the correct input method.

Any advise appreciated in advance

ian-mstm Feb 20th 2011 12:26 am

Re: IRS TAX return - UK Military Pension

Originally Posted by sportaxi (Post 9188277)
Question is. I have a UK Armed forces pension (taxed in the UK at source), any idea how I input this into TurboTax (Retirement Plans 1099-R) i cant see any provision to allow me to say that it is already taxed in UK, or the correct input method.

Can't remember exactly, but I believe it's included as "income" at the beginning, and subtracted out later as "already taxed".

Ian

Michael Feb 21st 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by sportaxi (Post 9188277)
Any assistance appreciated.

Were in the US on a L-1 visa (2 years now), last year tax return done with CPA ($$$$ expensive), trying this year though Turbo TAX Premier

Any advise appreciated in advance

Did you file as a resident last year? If you did, check that return to see how it was done and just duplicate the information by manually filling out that form in Turbo Tax and Turbo Tax should pick up that information to calculate your taxes. I'm not sure if Turbo Tax can handle that information through a menu (it can handle foreign taxes on dividends but not sure if it is set up to handle a foreign 1099-R).

I think it is IRS form 1116 to show foreign taxes paid but not 100% sure.

Have you tried to search or ask the question in the "Live Community" in Turbo Tax? If that doesn't work, you can pay $30 to "Ask an Expert" in Turbo Tax and they will call you on the phone.

Rougesvp Feb 21st 2011 8:21 pm

I believe Michael is right.

This will be my 5th year here and I have not paid to get the tax returns done yet. I do it online with the IRS forms and soldier through.

Just as I finish the U.S. ones, the ones for Her Majesty become due! :blink: