Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS Tax question

IRS Tax question

Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of
Default IRS Tax question

Hi. Just a quick question which hopefully someone here can answer. I am essentially retired although I do a small part time job and will obviously file taxes accordingly. My question is concerning my retirement UK pension which is paid to me as the Net amount meaning of course tax deducted from source in the UK. Do I declare the Gross amount, The Net amount, or not at all ? Please advise me as I am confused regarding this after hearing conflicting information. Thank you.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS Tax question

You live in the US? .... You're talking about a state pension, not a private pension, a company pension, or a military or civil service pension?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of

Thank you Pulaski. I am a dual citizen, British and American. My main pension is a retirement pension (we used to call it your old age pension) paid by the UK government department of pensions and social security. I also receive a widowers pension which is payed through a management company in the UK and it was associated to Santander(previously known as Abbey National).
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Yes I live in the US
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:50 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You need to claim relief from paying UK income tax.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Iansbury. This sounds like a good logical suggestion and I will follow up on this, thank you also for the link. Regarding this year and deadline being so close for tax filing, should I expect to be paying tax on my pension in both the UK and the U.S. Or just the UK where it has already been deducted ?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:40 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetW
Thank you Iansbury. This sounds like a good logical suggestion and I will follow up on this, thank you also for the link. Regarding this year and deadline being so close for tax filing, should I expect to be paying tax on my pension in both the UK and the U.S. Or just the UK where it has already been deducted ?
You can include your gross UK income in your US return. You are allowed to claim the tax you paid in the UK against what you will owe in the US. It is called a foreign tax credit.

I can't remember exactly what tax forms you need as it is a long time since I did it, but you should find instructions on the IRS web site.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much Iansbury, useful information and much appreciated.