Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS Form 8938: Help! Is it possible to e-file??

IRS Form 8938: Help! Is it possible to e-file??

Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Rosarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRS Form 8938: Help! Is it possible to e-file??

I wanted to use the IRS's "Free File Fillable Forms" to complete my U.S. tax return online, but Form 8938 is not listed as an "available form" for that method.

Last year, I completed my return on paper and lodged it by mail, because I could not find a way to e-file with the 8938. I really want to e-file, if there's a way to do so. My Form 8938 will have four "continuation pages," because I have several bank accounts to report.

Do any of the "Free File Software" offerings allow one to e-file a Form 8938, plus continuation pages? If so, which one/s?

Research online shows people struggling with this issue when using Turbo Tax, etc, and attaching PDFs of the 8938, etc, as a work-around. I'm not very techie, so I don't want to get into that degree of difficulty.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. I just joined today and this is my first post to the forums. Apologies in advance and please let me know if this appears in the wrong sub-section, etc.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 4:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS Form 8938: Help! Is it possible to e-file??

Hi and a big welcome to BE.

I don't have any personal experience of this, but from a quick search it looks like Form 8938 is used for supporting documentation, and does not qualify as an e-filing form.

Also does this link here help at all? http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File-Fil...rm-Constraints

Hopefully another member will have some experience of this and may be able to help.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS Form 8938: Help! Is it possible to e-file??

Most tax preparation software should support e-filing form 8938. It may not be included in FreeFile, however.